Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 725 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 49
 Post subject: Re: BOOK THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:43 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Have just begun Pynchon's AGAINST THE DAY. If the first 5 pages are any indication, the next 1080 should be a fair clam bake.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

So far, so good. Quite different from the Byzantine V and GRAVITY'S RAINBOW [one of the best titles ever imho].

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO STAR WARS
Cass R. Sunstein
Cass Robert Sunstein FBA (born September 21, 1954) is an American legal scholar, particularly in the fields of constitutional law, administrative law, environmental law, and law and behavioral economics, who was the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Obama administration from 2009 to 2012. For 27 years, Sunstein taught at the University of Chicago Law School. Sunstein is the Robert Walmsley University Professor at Harvard Law School.

I recently finished Sunstein's 2005 "RADICALS IN ROBES : WHY EXTREME RIGHT-WING COURTS ARE WRONG FOR AMERICA". Smart cookie. The above book is available as an e-book through my local library. Maybe through yours too. Anything by Sunstein will stretch your stuff fareal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Neil_Leach wrote:
Have just begun Pynchon's AGAINST THE DAY. If the first 5 pages are any indication, the next 1080 should be a fair clam bake.

Niiice. First section is such a joyous intro to the world.

Just finished JR by William Gaddis which was genius, hilarious, difficult in one way and breezy in another. Still think I prefer The Recognitions tho. Reading Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro which is v solid. Some highlights from what I've read this year; Temple of the Golden Pavilion, Housekeeping, Call it Sleep, Cosmos by Gombrowicz. On the nonfiction side; Reconstruction by Eric Foner, City of Quartz, The Power Broker. On deck I got The General of the Dead Army, which I think will be the first Albanian book I've read. As well as A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution which I'm real excited to dive into.

I realized I haven't read any comics in awhile, although I'll pick up the new Chris Ware at some point natch.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 725 posts ]  Go to page Previous 145 46 47 48 49