Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13260 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1875 876 877 878 879884 Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
The Death of Stalin: What happens when the iron fist gripping a nation goes limp? The mad scramble for power unfurls with as much horror as humour. Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale, Jeffrey Tambor, Michael Palin, Jason Isaacs, Rupert Friend, Andrea Riseborough, Paddy Considine, Olga Kurylenko, Paul Whitehouse, Dermot Crowley, Adrian McLoughlin. All shine, none more so than Simon Russell Beale and Jason Isaacs as two terrifying men at odds with one another. It's brilliant. Directed by Armando Iannucci, written by Iannuci, David Schneider, Ian Martin and Peter Fellows, based on a graphic novel and screenplay by Fabien Nury.

So good!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:07 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Neither Heaven Nor Earth War and the supernatural at a remote military camp in Afghanistan. The ensemble cast led by Jeremie Renier is superb and the rest of the film doesn't miss a beat, either. Another winner from Film Movement. Directed by Clement Cogitore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:21 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Jeremie Renier

Is he playing Oeil de Faucon?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:14 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
The Death of Stalin: Directed by Armando Iannucci ...

If DoS is half the movie that IN THE LOOP is, it will be a raucous success.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
maxfrost wrote:
Jeremie Renier

Is he playing Oeil de Faucon?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:33 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

THE UNSAVED
Igor Cobileanski - Moldova | Romania - 2013
A closely observed segment in the life of a young man of half-guessed past and uncertain motivations, headed apparently toward irremediable catastrophe. Unwaveringly sad, but a story told with a discerning eye and an able camera. Good stuff if bleak. Great viewing if you tend to have an unnecessarily sanguine view of life.
7.2/10 - 302 @ IMDb (which is pretty good)

maxfrost wrote:
Neither Heaven Nor Earth War and the supernatural at a remote military camp in Afghanistan. The ensemble cast led by Jeremie Renier is superb and the rest of the film doesn't miss a beat, either. Another winner from Film Movement. Directed by Clement Cogitore.

Duane isn't kidding, this is really really great stuff. Like nothing I have ever seen. Thoroughly unpredictable. NHNE was nominated for both the Critics Week Grand Prize and the Golden Camera at Cannes 2015. 95% @ RT.
trailer

NEITHER HEAVEN NOR EARTH
Clément Cogitore - France | Belgium - 2015
RETURN VIEW
See above for suitably bug eyed appreciation. Lead man Jérémie Renier will be familiar to Dardenne brothers fans from (at least) four of their superlative movies; so yeah, he can act. The rest of the cast is well able. I find no flaw in this production and it doesn't lose a step the second time around. My new favorite FILM MOVEMENT movie, which is saying a lot.

Last edited by Neil_Leach on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:53 pm 
Upper Crust

Thor: Ragnarok: Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is bounced across the universe, bringing him into contact with some of the strangest creatures/most celebrated film actors around, and eventually must reckon with the idea that his family's power and grandeur is built on the bones of the peoples they have conquered. An interesting thematic statement, delivered in a rather loose, woolly way. Lots of it feels improvisational, which works well at times, but not all the time. It is very, very funny, but I found it less of a satisfying story than Marvel's best output. With Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Mark Ruffalo, Tessa Thompson, Idris Elba, Karl Urban, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jeff Goldblum, Rachel House, Anthony Hopkins, and a few unexpected cameos that I won't spoil here. Directed by Taika Waititi from a script that is credited to three writers but bears the fingerprints of many more, surely including the director himself. It's the best Thor film, but not the best Marvel film, nor as good as either of Waititi's last two pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:03 pm 
Upper Crust

Addendum to above: Partially agree, wholly enjoyed it. Only a few slow minutes of exposition in the middle really slow things down at all. Also, Chris Hemsworth is fucking hilarious. Shame he's not all that good-looking or I'd be jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Addendum to above: Partially agree, wholly enjoyed it. Only a few slow minutes of exposition in the middle really slow things down at all. Also, Chris Hemsworth is fucking hilarious. Shame he's not all that good-looking or I'd be jealous.

I enjoyed it a lot. Zoned out a little bit during some of the action sequences, which - a couple of moments aside - seemed to be almost exclusively the work of the pre-vis team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:20 pm 
Upper Crust

(being vague as to not spoil the cookies) Them flashbacks tho, holy hell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 pm 
Upper Crust

I'm Korg and this is Mig. We tried to start a revolution once by handing out some pamphlets. Now we're forced to do the Gladiator thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
(being vague as to not spoil the cookies) Them flashbacks tho, holy hell.

Those were gorgeous, and easily the most visually striking moments of the film.

circuitsnake wrote:
I'm Korg and this is Mig. We tried to start a revolution once by handing out some pamphlets. Now we're forced to do the Gladiator thing.
Korg was a delight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm 
Upper Crust

They ran an incredibly high risk of being the brownies from Willow (older audiences may know them as "Merry" and "Pippin" but that's a whole nother story) but managed to not get that silly. That's the thing of most of the humorous moments of the film--they tiptoed juuust on the right side of the line between fun and too silly, as did the Noted British Actor Playing An Amerrrican cameo's scenes.

Also, for a small subset of people, Odin in a linen shirt was a glorious tip of the hat. Or just a coincidence but I'm going with the former.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:14 am 
Upper Crust

Agree with all. A little too silly at times, but much fun was had in the theater. I saw it with only one other person in the theater (after close at work) and we laughed a bunch. Does anyone else wish some of the best MCU films weren't in the MCU and, therefor, didn't need to include the annoying exposition and forced cameos?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Youth in Oregon A cranky octogenarian with not long to live goes on a road trip from New York to Oregon to become a participant in assisted suicide, causing his family to become very upset. Frank Langella must be having the time of his life playing cantankerous, old men because he's sure been playing lot of them. (I think he'd be afraid of being typecast.) Billy Crudup, as the son-in-law, I could take or leave when he was younger, but with age he's develop character in his face and in his--well--characters. The surprise treat (probably only because I haven't been paying close enough attention) is is the nuanced performance from Christina Applegate as the daughter. Ably directed by Joel David Moore.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13260 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1875 876 877 878 879884 Next