Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1197 198 199 200 201 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Justin wrote:
This is the only true and appropriate thing to do. Pedro's is love, Pedro's is life.

The dude that ran that Fatburger was quite a character, and I heard rumors that he was a VP of something in the corporate structure (or was until Magic's ownership group bought it out in 2002 or so), and he would periodically lose his franchise license, at which point he'd rebrand it as "Biggie's Burgers" with an identical menu--with names changed because it totally wasn't an identical menu because I think they had chili dogs too--until they would relent and let him be Fatburger again.

Ah yeah, it's Biggie's again. When I was a wee kid, it was a Taco Bell, which you can still see a bit if you squint.

HAH. That's amazing. Gotta grab me some Biggies next time I'm in town.

...and no, that didn't sound appropriate to me, either.

Or Pedro's. I can grab some Pedro's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Voted Best Thread @ rcjohnso.com/forum by everybody that matters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:02 pm 
Upper Crust

Not until everyone gets some damn Pedro's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm 
Upper Crust

A few things to note from this: This particular person is a nice lady I went out on a couple of dates with a few years ago (but nothing resulted from), who friended me some time later as we have a friend in common.

A normal (or at least more optimistic) person would read this maybe as "Hey, maybe she reconsidered and you should see if she wants to get a drink. If not, no bigs." I am not normal so this didn't occur to me for about a month, by which time the window of opportunity had passed.

Then this interaction happened, where rereading it now some weeks later one could maybe read between the lines that I have been given a second opening to be suave. But she's met me and should know I am in the bottom 3% of suaveness in any given cross-section of the population. Anyway, I'm more upset that I missed the SUPER EASY joke of "It's a shame you can't get a decent burrito around here."

(For context re: burritos, https://fivethirtyeight.com/burrito/#brackets-view)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

A fivethirtyeight ref at rcjohnso! Told you this thread was the junk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:37 am 
Upper Crust

Although that bracket is a disaster. They put Farolito, HRD, and Cancun all in one bracket. HRD shouldn't even be there--the food's good, mind you, but it's not at all in the same general food group as the other 63 listed (I assume; I've only eaten at 14 or so of them). Then Cancun got knocked out in the second round, which is unquestionably the best (and don't just take my word for it) in a very very crowded field.

This is most of the taquerias in the neighborhood. Most. Not shown: food trucks, pop-ups, little tiny joints that still serve a mean burrito, etc. etc. But Cancun. Man. I used to live steps away from El Tepa and would still walk up to Cancun seven six five a lot of days a week.

(NB. I took Sarah to El Farolito, which is like third-best in the neighborhood on the right day and/or blood-alcohol level, who had a running dialogue of "I don't know why people say these are so good, I mean, how can..." [bite] "ohmigosh, this is the best burrito I've ever had.")

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am 
Fearless Flyer

Looks like the goddamn promise land.

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:19 am 
Upper Crust

You have no idea. This is for whatever reason showing about a third of the actual options.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:05 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

it was like someone yelling "GOOD BURRITOS!" on a crowded freeway ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 am 
Upper Crust

Yeah, so that's the 101 about a mile and a half south of Sunset. Dumbest super power ever. The Capitol Records building is now just off to the right and slightly behind the photographer's vantage point. Also, some of those cars are still in that traffic jam.

(rehosted because the site doesn't like hotlinking, which is understandable)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

What year is this photo? About 1952?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm 
Upper Crust

I did not hold the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak long enough to extend my powers to dating things, but yeah, post-1947-ish, the Triumph-looking little guy in front leads me to believe '52-'53. My dad would know as he was very likely about eight miles away when this photo was taken.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:24 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
What year is this photo? About 1952?

'54

Just dropped in to see how everything was going without any adult supervision.
Looks okay.
Welp, gotta jet.
Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 pm 
Upper Crust

Went to New York (really just Long Island) for 13 hours today, texted with Manny, had pizza, saw Arnold at the airport.

That's maybe 1%. More when I'm not sitting on a plane.

I also haven't slept more than 20 minutes in...35 hours? I guess I have ascended to coffee nirvana.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:17 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
(rehosted because the site doesn't like hotlinking, which is understandable)

got it. kinda like sloppy seconds, which can also apply to burritos or not.

sleeplessness beyond 36 hours routinely results in total organ incontinence, dude.
plus stuff can start falling off as peripheral blood flow is constricted in an attempt
to oxegenate the brain. better check your junk.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1197 198 199 200 201 Next