Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1197 198 199 200 201 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 am 
Upper Crust

There have been naps, including a 6-hour one on the plane just now. Really, that dodgy slice I had in Brooklyn 10 hours ago may be more trouble in the end.

Flight tomorrow too! This one's only 45 minutes though. Expect pictures and watch for my silly face on the TV box come Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:01 pm 
Upper Crust

I HAVE TICKETS TO SEE RIAN AT THE LACMA TOMORROW

and.... my Grandmother is in town and bought us tickets to the symphony. So you can only guess what we're gonna do.

UGH. I wanted to see the boss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:18 pm 
Upper Crust

The symphony plays every night, Rian is a shooting star that's also a comet that will kill the dinosaurs. Put on a Mahler CD as you drive over to the New Bev.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:30 pm 
Upper Crust

I agree with you, but Grandma is, uh, persistent. I might be able to pull off something tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm 
Upper Crust

All I can give you is an excerpt from Douglas Adams (which has served me well generally in life):

Quote:
He pushed a tape into the slot on the stereo console. It accepted it with a soft and decorous click, and a moment or two later Ravel’s Bolero floated out of eight perfectly matched speakers with fine-meshed matte-black grilles. The stereo was so smooth and spacious you could almost sense the whole ice rink.

I'm not saying you should lock her in the car with Bolero on repeat, but I bet there are seats available in the theater. And you can sort of get the experience on the way over. If you have the right tape.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 pm 
Upper Crust

I believe Mark Twain also said:

Quote:
It is near impossible to drag an 88 year-old woman away from Itzak Perlman

But I'LL TRY GODDAMNIT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 pm 
Upper Crust

No, no, it was

Quote:
The coldest winter I ever spent was 350 miles south of San Francisco, also in the winter, after I dragged my grandmother to some space movie guy talking a movie about cars in the 1950s instead of Itzhak FUCKING Perlman.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 pm 
Upper Crust

Got to see Rian ask Duncan Jones questions about Mute. It was great

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 am 
Upper Crust

Just wanted to say that Rian is a lot shorter than I thought he was. He's like my height. Always looked up to him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 pm 
Upper Crust

I always think of Rian's height as Shorter Than Me But Taller Than Edgar Wright.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm 
Upper Crust

WHAT are we all just tiny men? Also maybe Rian was force projecting himself into the Q&A cause he straight disappeared afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
I always think of Rian's height as Shorter Than Me But Taller Than Edgar Wright.

Not to be like all big time and stuff, but I was recently in a room with both and while they weren't right next to one another, my impression from that is that Edgar is a hair of a smidge taller.

But oddly, I've met Edgar a few times (or been in the same physical space as him; we have high-fived twice a decade apart) and have seen Rian like at least four times in my life and my impression from these experiences is that Rian is a hair of a smidge taller.

So, as far as I can see it, there's only one solution to this: Steel Cage Death Match.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Had jury duty earlier this week. Always an interesting experience. Spent Monday a.m. hanging out in the jury room, waiting for the call. Then, Monday afternoon and Tuesday a.m. listening to a judge explain the American judicial system to a bunch of people who couldn't tell you how many stars are in the U.S. flag, what they stood for, and don't give a sh*t in any case. Then we get to the good stuff, the defense and prosecution questioning the potential jurors. The public defender--she's defending a guy who's been charged with "carrying an unloaded .22 rifle in public," which, apparently, is a misdemeanor in California--starts off by getting a discussion going with the potential jurors regarding guns and gun control. I'm thinking, I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one. But, then, she says, "Juror #13"--meaning me--"we haven't heard from you yet. What are your thoughts?" To which I reply, "I can't help but think that anybody who walks around in public carrying a weapon is either trying to intimidate someone, or else is a fool." A few minutes later she moves on to Juror #3, "Juror #3, what are your thoughts?" Juror #3 points to me and says, "What that guy said." Now, it's the prosecutor's turn and she wants to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with the police. My hand goes up. "This happened a long time ago. Back in the 60s and 70s I was always getting pulled over for, essentially, driving with long hair. I had my car searched, the trunk, myself, and they never found anything--for good reason. I would get stopped walking down the sidewalk because somebody held up a convenience store three miles away. It happened often. In all fairness, though, my last several encounters with the police have been positive." The prosecution finishes up and now it's time for the defense and prosecutors to start eliminating potential jurors they don't want. The prosecutor goes first. "Juror #13, thank you." And that's it. That's my jury duty for the year. I'm out of there.

And I didn't even have to use my story about getting shot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:17 pm 
Upper Crust

Wait, wait--the flag has STARS?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:21 pm 
Upper Crust

Also, coming from the 'burbs where all the cops are jerks (because nothing goes on so they end up pretty much picking fights to have SOMETHING to do), SFPD officers are by and large pretty cool.

...granted, about 80% of my interactions with them lately were when I was standing on the inside of Obama's security perimeter while they were waiting for his car to leave the building. Also, the Secret Service guys were SUPER nice. Though to be fair, I was showing them where the bathroom was and who wouldn't be nice in that situation.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1197 198 199 200 201 Next