Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1514 posts ]  Go to page Previous 197 98 99 100 101
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
It is truly fascinating how obvious these anachronistic idioms are when they come up. I definitely noticed a couple of them in Mindhunter and looked them up and was very smug about how right I was.

Smug is fun. Besides, you are probably your mother's favorite son. Jussayin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:31 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

FEARLESS
ITV - UK - 2017
6 episodes x 45 minutes
7.5/10 - 1,464 IMDb
Excellent legal/police/political/spy/murder/drama.
For me it worked on every level consistently through every episode.
What's not to like?

TRAPPED
created by Baltasar Kormákur
Iceland - 2016
10 episodes x 51 minutes
8.2/10 - 6,994 IMDb
Kormákur directed what I consider to be one of the very best Scandinavian noir films, JAR CITY. TRAPPED is in the same vein, although the pace is understandably slower. The pace will probably be the sticking point for most American viewers, but I found the depth of characterizations and the dominance of weather and landscape to be compelling. The main character is portrayed by the outstanding Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, principal of the mad Marteinn Thorsson joint XL. The principal from JAR CITY, Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson, has a secondary role, but is worth every minim of screen time. The rest of the cast is suitably robust and authentic. The story line is Gordian. Good stuff. Filmed at Seyðisfjörður, Iceland which is why it looks a lot like the set of FORTITUDE, which was filmed at Reyðafjörður, Iceland. Apparently many of these little Icelandic coastal burgs look exactly alike, or at least do so in the middle of blizzards. idk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:02 pm 
Upper Crust

Refusing to binge Godless on Netflix, a revisionist Western written & directed by Scott Frank (Out of Sight, Get Shorty, Minority Report, The Lookout, A Walk Among the Tombstones). An ageing US Marshall, half-blind small-town sheriff, a tough-as-nails widow, a bad kid turned good, a town with no men, a wannabe gunslinger deputy, and band of murderous rogues: everything you could want from a pulp Western. Dollops on the side in terms of characterisation and world-building. Plenty of time spent on the parts of the Old West that are rarely shown (black folk, native Americans, women existing without men). Gorgeous digital cinematography. Starring Jack O'Connell, Scoot McNairy, Jeff Daniels, Michelle Dockery, Sam Waterston, and many more, including the outstanding Merritt Wever, who I'd never seen before, as a Deadpan Western Butch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:39 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Merritt Wever has more range than Enrico Caruso. She killed it in MICHAEL CLAYTON.
GODLESS review from The Guardian - 5 stars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:50 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
Merritt Wever has more range than Enrico Caruso. She killed it in MICHAEL CLAYTON.
GODLESS review from The Guardian - 5 stars

Oh, word. It turns out I've seen her in a couple of things before, just never put a name to the performance until now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:03 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
It turns out I've seen her in a couple of things before, just never put a name to the performance until now.

I think that is a conscious part of her craft.

While I'm on the subject, the entire MICHAEL CLAYTON ensemble is top drawer*, and there are several especially well filled shoes by women : Tilda Swinton / Danielle Skraastad (voice) / "Dynamite" Julie White / Jennifer Van Dyck / Sharon Washington / Cynthia Mace (voice) / Amy Hargreaves / Susan Pellegrino / Rachel Black / Merritt Wever / Katherine Waterston / Heidi Armbruster / Pamela Gray / Julia Gibson / Susan Egbert / Cathy Diane Tomlin / Maggie Siff / Sarah Nichols / Susan McBrien / Emelie Jeffries / Kimmy Suzuki /
... and Merritt Wever's brother. NOT! That's Sam Gilroy ...
... son of MICHAEL CLAYTON writer/director Tony Gilroy and cast member Susan Egbert.
no, he really IS Merritt Wever's brother and it's an unbelievably messed up situation ...

*credit Ellen Chenoweth, who imho is the very best in the business. The Coen brothers think so, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:26 am 
Fearless Flyer

Enjoying Godless, as it seems most of you are. Some of the writing tends to drift from the era, though, from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am 
Upper Crust

I finished Godless. There are far too many flashbacks, and Scott Frank doesn't always seem to know which storylines are the most interesting. Overall I thought it was pretty great though; it's very well acted and shot, and the story as whole puts the plotting of some other prestige shows to shame (here's looking at you, Westworld).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 pm 
Upper Crust

Netflix really should hire the RC Johnso Board of Anachronism Stoppers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:50 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Rocco wrote:

Oh. Irony.

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:30 am 
Upper Crust

Chad Peter wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Oh. Irony.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

TORPEDO
Trygve Allister Diesen - Norway - 2007
4 episodes = 3 hr. 10 min.
Excellent. Slow burn, low budget, but well proportioned and effective. Gorgeous grainy, gritty, dark, cinematography. Top supporting cast with Aksel Hennie (HEADHUNTERS) and other stalwarts. Essentially male chauvinist, which is a shame. Cut down, smash mouth Scandinavian noir. Doesn't really get any better.

BECK
Sweden - 1997 thru 2018 - 36 90min. episodes
Peter Haber and Freaking Mikael Persbrandt (IN A BETTER WORLD). 2 words : Scandinavian, noir. My work here is done.
Wait, wait. I'm starting with episode 1 season 1. The transfers I am watching have muddy color. Whether this is a function
of age or production decisions, I do not know. I do know that they work much better if you drop the color & jack around
with backlight(50%), brightness(70%), contrast(75%), and sharpness(100%). Should have been in black 'n' white to begin with.
If you liked the Department Q movies, BECK might be a binge watch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm 
Upper Crust

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. I never watched Gilmore Girls and only saw a few episodes of Bunheads, but Amy Sherman-Palladino has entered into must-see-TV for me after this show. One of the strongest pilot episodes I've ever seen and it stays consistently good from there, with some big moments along the way and a very memorable finale. Can't wait for season 2. My favorite season of television of 2017, followed closely by Netflix's GLOW.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:53 pm 
Upper Crust

Señor Robot is so good, guys.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1514 posts ]  Go to page Previous 197 98 99 100 101