Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1513 posts ]  Go to page Previous 196 97 98 99 100 101 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:45 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

FORTITUDE
noir / scifi / horror / suspense / psychological / drama
Season 1 ~ 12 episodes | 2015
On the Heart of Darkness Scale(HDS), 1 would represent an innocent state into which no person had yet been born. 10 would, of course, be that most perfect of perfect storms commonly referred to as the end of the world. In evaluating the relative darkness of FORTITUDE, I have chosen APOCALYPSE NOW and given it a 6 on the HDS. PUSHER would qualify for a 7. FORTITUDE earns an 8. Happily, or otherwise if you happen to be a character, FORTITUDE is faultlessly produced. Here ends today's exercise in egregious exaggeration. (it's quite a show)(features Richard Dormer for all you GAME OF THRONES victims)(and Michael Freaking Gambon)

Went back and binge watched the whole season. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done.

FORTITUDE
noir / scifi / horror / suspense / psychological / drama
Season 2 ~ 10 episodes | April 14, 2017
While not evincing the potent production & narrative integrity of Season 1, Season 2 remains committed to punching above its weight on the HDS. The acerbic Detective Chief Inspector Eugene Morton(Stanley Tucci) is missed, as is the portentous Henry Tyson(Michael Gambon). The Lennox family is introduced with Michael Lennox(Dennis Quaid), Freya Lennox(Michelle Fairley), and Rune Lennox(Edvin Endre). Mr. Quaid makes a yeoman's job of it, but cannot match the moxy of either Tucci or Gambon, which is hardly his fault. Series creator and Chief Pen Simon Donald scratches out 5 of the 10 episodes, so the essential texture and chemistry is retained. The standout character of Season 2 for me was Robert Sheehan's Vladek Klimov, a protean enigma. I first saw Sheehan as an incendiary character in the noir RED RIDING trilogy. He doesn't disappoint here, easily taking the individual HDS honors. Richard Dormer as Sheriff Dan Anderssen Version 2.0 munches through scene after scene with his amalgamation of Richard III and Frankenstein's monster. Alexandra Moen as Constable Petra Bergen shines in a characterization which reflects the rocky marriage of entropy and chaos in Fortitude. Hettie MacDonald, who directed Season 1 episodes 6 - 8, returns to direct the first 3 episodes in Season 2. I look for ward to reviewing this series.

BFI Q&A with FORTITUDE Actor Sofie Gråbøl, director Sam Miller, and writer Simon Donald ~ 27:46 ~ 20 Jan 2015 / Season 1

SAG-AFTRA Q&A with FORTITUDE actors Richard Dormer, Luke Treadaway, Veronica Echegaray, Director Sam Miller and Creator/Writer Simon Donald ~ 35:36 ~ 26 Jan 2015 / Season 1

IMDb Photo Gallery (clickez dans un little picture)
ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:40 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

THE KILLING
4 seasons | 8 million episodes
Watched the first 4 episodes and 10 minutes of the first episode of the last season just to be sure. I'm sure. This series will put you to sleep faster than Justin reading you directions to all the places in BRICK from a San Clemente street map. A misuse of Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman that should surely be felonious. Or at least as bad as bestiality, especially if the animal in question is smaller than a breadbox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 am 
Upper Crust

Only have a couple of episodes left in season 2 of Fargo. Man, if this ain't peak tv...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:36 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

american gods episode one insufferable episode two do i look stupid to you?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:03 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
american gods episode one insufferable episode two do i look stupid to you?

I enjoyed it!

Sense8 is back for a second season. It is still resolutely the same show: euphoric, emotional, violent, and very, very, very sexy. I'm halfway through and loving it; it's a singular work of art by a singular group of artists. There are some clunky bits (most of the Korean cast really struggle with the English dialogue, much of which is... inelegant) but it's surprising and moving and constantly wrong-footing. Every episode is shot by John Toll and written by Lana Wachowski & J. Michael Straczynski.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:15 pm 
Upper Crust

Rumblin' through Orphan Black.... This one's a goodie.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:42 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
I enjoyed it!

Good, I'm glad that you did. As I esteem you to be a person whose tastes are shaped by reason, I appreciate that it is not easy to find enjoyment among the current teevee offerings. This does not, needless to say, mean that I think that enjoying AMERICAN GODS is the province of fools. Conversely, if I had said "I enjoyed it!" when I manifestly did not, this would make me, and me alone, foolish. Greater misdeeds than this have I performed. File under Department of Redundancy Department and carry on.
All best wishes always,
Neil

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:58 pm 
Upper Crust

I think it's interesting that you find so little to like on TV right now, Neil, especially since the whole world won't stop talking about how INCREDIBLE TV IS RIGHT NOW.

I'm even guilty of saying it... But what I really think is that there is basically the same amount of good tv as there has been for a while now. However... The quality of said TV is decidedly higher across the board. The good TV is better tv and the bad tv is worse. That's my two pennies.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:00 am 
Upper Crust

Generally speaking, there's a lot of truth to that, Rocco. And I think there's a multiplicity of form that can appeal to some while repelling other. American Gods, for instance, I've read and loved the novel and I appreciate the show's faithfulness in its adaptation - but that also means that I know where the show is going and what the narrative trajectory is going to be, even if the episode itself did not project that for new viewers. In which case the many dream sequences and flashbacks probably felt quite aimless to a lot of the audience. Am I right, Neil, or am I misguessing your misgivings?

(And no need to explain yourself, Neil; I didn't think you were being rude!)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am 
Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
I think it's interesting that you find so little to like on TV right now, Neil, especially since the whole world won't stop talking about how INCREDIBLE TV IS RIGHT NOW.

I'm even guilty of saying it... But what I really think is that there is basically the same amount of good tv as there has been for a while now. However... The quality of said TV is decidedly higher across the board. The good TV is better tv and the bad tv is worse. That's my two pennies.

The mere existence of Veep makes this the greatest era of television.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am 
Upper Crust

Time to start putting my HBO Now trial to good use then...

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:35 am 
Upper Crust

That new season of Master of None was easily as good as the first.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:17 am 
Upper Crust

T-jones wrote:
That new season of Master of None was easily as good as the first.

Looking forward to starting this asap!

Sense8 season 2 was excellent - if you're into the show at all, then s2 is a step-up in every way. Cutting down to 11 episodes from 13 reduced the filler massively, and the finale included a brilliant, fantastically specific reversal that could only work in this show.

I'm mid-way through the excellent Dear White People, adapted by Netflix and writer/director Justin Simien from his film of the same name. It starts off as a re-tread of the movie, before delving deeper into the world and the characters. It's brilliantly put together. Episode 5, directed by Barry Jenkins, is justly getting praise, but this is a show that can go wickedly dark and stay light as a feather all at once. And the dialogue is just cracking.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:20 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Sense8 season 2 was excellent - if you're into the show at all, then s2 is a step-up in every way. Cutting down to 11 episodes from 13 reduced the filler massively, and the finale included a brilliant, fantastically specific reversal that could only work in this show.

Can't wait. I hope it keeps up that feel good positive vibe that we so rarely get to see in non-comedy series.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:23 pm 
Upper Crust

So I gotta get a Showtime account this weekend?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1513 posts ]  Go to page Previous 196 97 98 99 100 101 Next