Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1533 posts ]  Go to page Previous 198 99 100 101 102 103 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:34 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Expanse Sci-fi with a film noir feel. The first season was terrific. Halfway through the second season and it's f*ck*ng awesome, man!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:41 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
The Expanse Sci-fi with a film noir feel. The first season was terrific. Halfway through the second season and it's f*ck*ng awesome, man!

I keep hearing how great The Expanse is, but I couldn't get into it! Maybe I'll try again?

The Handmaid's Tale season finale was excellent. The season as a whole was very good, and maybe the fifth or sixth best TV show I've seen this year. Lots to like about it, but also some weird creative decisions, both aesthetically and narratively, that really hamstrung it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:22 am 
Upper Crust

This behind-the-scenes feature from the latest Game of Thrones episodes just gets me excited about filmmaking in general.

phpBB [video]

I can't fathom the organization and attention to detail that goes into shooting something this complex. 7 cameras? 20 guys on fire? 360 degree set dressing? Standing on horses?! Who wants to help me shoot something this big? I want in.

No weak episodes so far this season. Production design & cinematography have taken a notable step up. I'm always in support of fewer, stronger episodes per season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:14 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:

No weak episodes so far this season. Production design & cinematography have taken a notable step up. I'm always in support of fewer, stronger episodes per season.

I wish I felt that way. This season, with the exception of the second of half of the latest episode, has felt sloppy and rushed to me. I just haven't been getting as excited about the show as I have during all of the past seasons. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of the best things on tv (so, in that sense, there are no weak episodes), but compared to the rest of the show before this season, I think it's inferior.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am 
Upper Crust

btw, Marc, thanks for posting that featurette, it's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:20 pm 
Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
tsukasa13 wrote:

I wish I felt that way. This season, with the exception of the second of half of the latest episode, has felt sloppy and rushed to me. I just haven't been getting as excited about the show as I have during all of the past seasons. Don't get me wrong, it's still one of the best things on tv (so, in that sense, there are no weak episodes), but compared to the rest of the show before this season, I think it's inferior.

I'm more with Marc, although I do agree that certain things could have been better. One more episode in the season maybe could have helped space things out a little more so that there wouldn't have been such a jolting change of pace, whereby things now happen immediately after being talked about instead of 2 years later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JORDSKOTT
Season One | 9 episodes
Sweden | Finland | UK | Norway - 2015
Good stuff.
trailer
this is how a trailer should be made

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm 
Upper Crust

Is everyone watching The Good Place? Everyone should be watching The Good Place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Is everyone watching The Good Place? Everyone should be watching The Good Place.

Just finished catching up on Red Oaks before Season 3 starts, so I'll be starting The Good Place very soon. But, uhhh. Red Oaks is great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 am 
Upper Crust

Mindhunter wasn't *quite* as good as I expected it to be, but there were about 12 scenes that felt a lot like the basement scene in Zodiac, so how much more can I even ask for? Also, my expectations were admittedly quite high, this is a great show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Mindhunter
beneath contempt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:46 am 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
Mindhunter
beneath contempt

Oh no... Did you watch the whole thing, Neil?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:06 pm 
Upper Crust

I enjoyed Mindhunter. Wasn't blown away, and it both started & ended on weaker notes than I would have liked, but there's plenty of darkness & tension to chew on in the middle. Love the Fincher-style camera control, even when it's not really him. The period setting & serial killer performances are what really sells the thing. I'll stick around for season 2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:35 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
Oh no... Did you watch the whole thing, Neil?

a - What is the meaning of "Oh no ..." ?
b - What does watching the whole of something have to do with anything?
extra credit only :
c - Can you tell I'm in a prickly mood?
d - Or am I?
e - Actually I'm not. The questions are sincere, if communicated in my typically stunted and easily misunderstood fashion.
f - Love you, man.
g - Detroit is on my bucket list. For aesthetic reasons, you will appreciate.
h - More coffee, warden?

For purposes of clarification, which in my case is almost always a good idea, all I could think of while watching the above is "This is the guy who made SEVEN?" For me, the unavoidable conclusion was that no, it was not. I hated the stupid writing. I hated the unforgiveable use of contemporary expressions which did not exist at the time. I hated the plastic periodicity. I hated the cleverly self referencing period references (remember I lived through this period). I hated the pace. I hated the complete lack of any semblance of chemistry between anybody and anybody else. I hated the ludicrously prurient sex scenes. I hated the callous way in which the narrative exploits historic tragedy. I hated the humor. I hated the way the wonderful Holt McCallany was used to enflesh a comic diminution of human personality. I hated the way Jonathan Groff reminded me of some Frankenstein-esque conflation of Chris O'Donnell (yuck) and James Franco (double yuck). I hated the slap-dash appropriation of classic Fincher production technique. I hated the slap-dash sets. I hated the lack of authentic detail. I hated what appeared to me to be the fact that this production was geared to appeal to a target audience with a very low set of aesthetic requirements. I hated the auto interior rear projections with furious intensity. Enough?

Hannah Gross was excellent. Too bad her character was a simple foil (hello?) to Groff's with very little inherent worth. Ditto for all the female characters. This is a male production to an obvious and uncomfortable degree, so yeah, I hated that too. This was my first exposure to Ms. Gross and makes me very interested in seeing I USED TO BE DARKER, TAKE WHAT YOU CAN CARRY, and UNLESS. And what's the story with this Matthew Porterfield (writer/director of both I USED TO BE DARKER and TAKE WHAT YOU CAN CARRY) guy anyway? He should post here. Maybe I'll look up his Farcebook and drop a hint or three.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:41 am 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
I hated the stupid writing. I hated the unforgiveable use of contemporary expressions which did not exist at the time.

It is truly fascinating how obvious these anachronistic idioms are when they come up. I definitely noticed a couple of them in Mindhunter and looked them up and was very smug about how right I was.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1533 posts ]  Go to page Previous 198 99 100 101 102 103 Next