Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: The writers' thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:18 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Hey y'all!

So I've noticed there are a few writers hanging out here. It seems like a few of us have projects we're working on. Care to talk about them? Where are you in your process, what's your process like? Writer's block? Are you shopping a completed work? A script? A novel? Writing queries? Getting rejections or requests? What's your story?

Spill! And we can all support each other's endeavors with high-fives and such.

J

Post subject: Re: The writers' thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:46 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Great thread idea. I keep coming back to a story in my head. Two actually but only one seems like it is at the complete story phase enough to start seriously outlining. I have no idea if it will stay a short story or become a screenplay. My career and college studies are in the fashion/beauty industry at the moment. It is taking me by surprise that I want to start writing again all of a sudden. Screenwriting was my first career choice and actually the reason I wanted to move to NYC originally. Maybe I am just feeling the need to be literary as an outlet, or maybe it will lead to something bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 pm 
Upper Crust

Oh yay, I like this thread idea!

I have two finished feature screenplays that I've been submitting to readers as much as possible, in hopes of getting my name out there and eventually getting representation as a screenwriter. The Drama Club is a coming-of-age movie set in high school theater that I'd actually like to make some day, while The Dharma Kids of Saturn Six is a science fiction character drama in three interwoven timelines that I use more as a writing sample than anything.

I started my first novel during NaNoWriMo, but didn't get past 15,000 words. Titled Straight on to Morning, it's a young adult drama about a small town kid who accidentally unlocks the secret to immortality while working on a high school science project... I like it, but just haven't had the time to dedicate to it between my irregular work schedule, job hunting and other projects...

I'm also writing poetry, some of it whimsical, some of it eye-rollingly emo, that I've thought about compiling into a little book. Eh. Maybe.

Aaand kicking around web series ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Jazzcleopatra: Get that story out of your head and onto hard drive! :) Me, that's the only way I can make an idea "go away." And then sometimes, something awesome comes of it. Other times, it blows a dead horse, but at least it's something.

tsukasa13 wrote:
Oh yay, I like this thread idea!

I have two finished feature screenplays that I've been submitting to readers as much as possible, in hopes of getting my name out there and eventually getting representation as a screenwriter. The Drama Club is a coming-of-age movie set in high school theater that I'd actually like to make some day, while The Dharma Kids of Saturn Six is a science fiction character drama in three interwoven timelines that I use more as a writing sample than anything.

I'm really into that second one!

My one that I'm shopping around is a SF time travel / parallel lives thing. It's got hookers and cults and reanimated corpses. I've had a few nibbles from agents and I've got one exclusive out now. ^_^ Which is super exciting and frustrating.

I love sci fi!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm 
Upper Crust

I'm writing/going into production in January a film about clones.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:54 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Quote:
Jazzcleopatra: Get that story out of your head and onto hard drive! :) Me, that's the only way I can make an idea "go away." And then sometimes, something awesome comes of it. Other times, it blows a dead horse, but at least it's something.

I have written down a few passages. It's just hard to find time to get in the mood. I work and go to school full time and NY life can be draining. I'm going to focus on this and some other projects on my winter break.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:29 am 
Upper Crust

Like this thread idea, cool hearing what folks are up to, thanks for starting it.

Halfway through a screenplay I've wanted to write for like 20 years, it's just sitting there waiting for me to get it done... yeah, I will, I know what comes next but making sure I get going down the right path (or so I'm telling myself whilst I stare at page 58, a lot).

Also started a play, always wanted to take something to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival so went an idea for that... but it pfft'd. Oh well. Holiday doldrums plus having moved twice this year makes jack a dull boy, for now at least. Also work is has been crushing me this year, yikes.

On the plus side I really like my new place, no roomies just me (well, the occassional out-of-town guest). 2013, come on!

circuitsnake wrote:

(this is inspiring, yay!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 am 
Upper Crust

I've just started on the fifth draft screenplay of a screwball comedy called Breaking Things, which started as a romantic drama, turned into a romcom with a couple of songs, removed all the songs, and will (hopefully) end up as a full-on musical. This is the first draft where the first couple of songs feel right for the characters and the film.

Also: in the early stages of two other screenplays. One is a sci-fi noir set on the moon. The other is a scrappy mess about scrappy emotional mess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:34 am 
Fearless Flyer

Everybody's writing! That's great! Let's hope to see some of those scripts turned into films in the future.

I just had an article/column type thing published in a national magazine, only to find out today that they made a printing mistake and half is missing and the other half it there twice. Great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 am 
Fearless Flyer

I love that there are so many writers here. But of course there are!

I don't do screenplays, I just do novels. So no movies for me, but I am BURNING for a literary agent! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 pm 
Upper Crust

blueman wrote:
circuitsnake wrote:

(this is inspiring, yay!)

Thank you. I am exhausted/inspired.

Quote:
I don't do screenplays, I just do novels. So no movies for me, but I am BURNING for a literary agent! :)

in the sense that you are burning a book? Are literary agents a real thing anymore? Should you self-publish first? ????link???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Oh HELLS no to self publishing! At least, not a novel, and not the first time. Agents are really struggling, actually. Who knows how the publishing industry is changing? All of these mergers and closings.

Times, they are a-changing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:49 pm 
Upper Crust

Say hello to page 60, woot and booyah!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 am 
Upper Crust

blueman wrote:
Say hello to page 60, woot and booyah!

you rock, Big Guy.
fasho.

i'm toying with the idea of going back to schoo'.
maybe take a creative scribbling course.
maybe maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:55 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I was lucky enough to have been hired to write two projects. One is my own idea , it's a project about a group of children that notice shadows without owners traveling around their hometown. The other is about Circuses.... hopefully it'll be an original take on them. I spent part of the summer traveling with Barnum & Bailey's as well as animal trainers in Florida.

Just started a pet project called "The Spirit Guide's Handbook" . It's sort of Up in the Air with the thankless lives Spirit Guides.
Basically involves a Spirit Guide being assigned to his ex-girlfriend's new fiance.

And am re-writing / re-developing Sanctity (Priest goes to his gay brother's wedding) for an actor that some of you might like....

http://www.slashfilm.com/exclusive-trai ... omecoming/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next