Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Doctor who *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:06 am 
Fearless Flyer

So we don't clog up the TV Reactions page with spoilers for those unable to watch at UK pace.

What do people think so far?

If what I have to say is irresponsible, then I alone am responsible for the saying of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 am 
Upper Crust

williamthebloody wrote:
So we don't clog up the TV Reactions page with spoilers for those unable to watch at UK pace.

If it keeps up this average so far, it's my favorite season of Dr Who yet. If it keeps up this average not counting Victory of the Daleks it could easily be in my top seasons of any show.
I like the fact it's more edgy, scary and adult, even if/especially because Guardian reader's don't.
Love the characters, love the writing, like the action and think all the little moments really make it perfect for me (like the Doctor welding the Tardis and Amy floating in space).

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am 
Upper Crust

williamthebloody wrote:

Extremely strong start, a little bit of a fade later on, but overall promising. I'm a little perturbed that this season's arc is again "The whole Universe is in peril!", apparently, but the whole thing with the possibility that Amy's reality (or perhaps Tenth/Rose/Martha/Donna's) is not the "real" reality. It's a clever way to semi-reboot, as well as an undo button for the all-too-prevalent alien appearances on live TV (Aliens of London, Christmas Invasion, the Master's trip aboard the Valiant--which was undone in the finale, but the very existence of the Valiant kind of bothered me), the none-too-subtle Douglas Adams reference with the Starship Titanic in the 2008 Christmas episode...and those are just off the top of my head, saying nothing of Family of Blood and some pretty non-controversial alien spottings therein, although most of those people ended up dying, so there's that.

I realize this sounds like complaining about the Davies years, and it's not, it just got...a little bigger and more expansive about twice a season, leaving them to have to top the visual of a giant flying rock/spaceship, for instance, which put them in a tough spot.

But overall I'm really enjoying it, I'm liking Moffat's quirks in his writing (I picked up quite a few in Jekyll, too, he does like his quick clever dialogue, doesn't he?) and just the chance of a fresh start. I'm not totally completely sold on Matt Smith just yet, but he's making positive progress. I'd feel considerably better about that statement if he had eyebrows.

And it's been two years since there was a proper season, I've forgotten how much fun it is to wonder what the tease in next week's episode means, or what the story arc of the season (or seasons, mustn't undersell them) might possibly other than "cracks" and Amy's tie-in to it all could end up being. Not a great fan of Rory just yet, but he's a decent actor and if he gets a chance to do more than run away screaming he might end up appealing to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:59 am 
Upper Crust

Kzap wrote:
I like the fact it's more edgy, scary and adult, even if/especially because Guardian reader's don't.

I read the Guardian, and... well, you know how I feel about some of RTD's fluff.

Love it so far.

I genuinely believe the cracks will be revealed to be caused by Gallifrey. It's far too interesting and has far too much potential to be locked away in a time vortex or whatever for the rest of the show's existence.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:14 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
I realize this sounds like complaining about the Davies years, and it's not, it just got...a little bigger and more expansive about twice a season, leaving them to have to top the visual of a giant flying rock/spaceship, for instance, which put them in a tough spot.

Yea I agree with all that, although I'm a little more critical about it, didn't Big Ben get a spaceship crashed into it in season 1, they sure fixed that up fast, huh, no one ever mentioned it either.
I never understand why they don't just go back in time after every big episode like that and stop it ever happening, I would prefer that, I like the whole "the people of earth have been saved again and they'll never know it" 'Men in Black' sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
I read the Guardian

/rant

There was a specific story I was referring too, which I can't for the life of me find now.
74.2% sure it was on the Guardian site (which to be fair I was reading) saying how terrible the new Dr who was; being too scary for young kids and specifically mentioned the mini-skirt clad assistant joking about the last time the Time Lord had sex. Making it out to be a whole lot worse in my opinion.
It's the sort of thing that makes me rage and hope the producers take no notice of it.
"If you don't like a show! Don't watch it! Don't complain and try and the producers to change it! They should be in charge of what the show is not the viewers!"
It's always newspapers who try and ruin things, I don't know why. Whether it's 'violent video games' or 'morally corrupt TV shows'.
Maybe it's the only forum for that demographic of people to complain through.

/rant over

Last edited by Kzap on Thu May 13, 2010 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:27 pm 
Upper Crust

Oh, I think I read that article. It was either Sam Woolaston or Nancy Banks-Smith. Don't rate either of 'em as TV critics.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:53 pm 
Upper Crust

I still miss Tennant, but I'm warming up to Smith at a faster rate than what I would have guessed going into the new season (even with his lack of eyebrows). I'm having a very good time, so far.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:41 am 
Fearless Flyer

Kzap wrote:
Day Glo wrote:
I read the Guardian

/rant

There was a specific story I was referring too, which I can't for the life of me find now.
98.7% sure it was on the Guardian site (which to be fair I was reading) saying how terrible the new Dr who was; being too scary for young kids and specifically mentioned the mini-skirt clad assistant joking about the last time the Time Lord had sex. Making it out to be a whole lot worse in my opinion.
It's the sort of thing that makes me rage and hope the producers take no notice of it.
"If you don't like a show! Don't watch it! Don't complain and try and the producers to change it! They should be in charge of what the show is not the viewers!"
It's always newspapers who try and ruin things, I don't know why. Whether it's 'violent video games' or 'morally corrupt TV shows'.
Maybe it's the only forum for that demographic of people to complain through.

/rant over

You sure it wasn't the Daily Heil? I know they've done a couple of stories about the show being to adult for the timeslot. Course, that rag being what it is, they always look for the flimsiest excuse to have a go at the BBC.

If what I have to say is irresponsible, then I alone am responsible for the saying of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 am 
Upper Crust

williamthebloody wrote:
You sure it wasn't the Daily Heil?

Maybe it was, in which case I'm not surprised.
I don't read newspaper sites much but when I do it's usually the Guardian or possibly the Telegraph, so someone probably linked me to the story and I assumed - which was stupid of me. If it was the Mail then I feel bad getting so worked up about it, they'll print anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

CubanB31 wrote:
I still miss Tennant, but I'm warming up to Smith at a faster rate than what I would have guessed going into the new season (even with his lack of eyebrows). I'm having a very good time, so far.

Caught Tennant as Hamlet on the tube and he's very good.

THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 am 
Upper Crust

Amy's Choice: Very good indeed. Liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:19 pm 
Shamus

"If we're going to die, let's die looking like a Peruvian folk band."

(I find it interesting that former sitcom writers are apparently GODDAMN AMAZING at writing Doctor Who.)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 am 
Upper Crust

That line was amazing.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:02 am 
Upper Crust

Amy's Choice Really good, not as great as my high expectations but I enjoyed it none the less. There was only one twist I didn't see coming (which is pretty good for Dr Who).
To me it seemed like a twist on the standard 'main characters of a scifi TV show wakes up in a mental institute in the real world' formula.
Also did the episode have the first suicide in Dr Who? I'm trying to think of another. I suppose you could say it wasn't a suicide but I'd disagree.
Characters have sacrificed there life before but that's not the same as suicide.
Anyway next weeks episodes looks like standard, scary fun.

Last edited by Kzap on Sun May 16, 2010 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next