Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:42 pm 
Fearless Flyer

^ That is so completely not feasible to me. Even if they didn't stop shooting / lasering / whatevering right away, I can't even imagine them magically all lining up to kill each other on accident, every last one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm 
Upper Crust

I keep up with this thread even though I don't watch the show and it is very entertaining, because most of it sounds like you guys are just making stuff up. What a show. What a time to be alive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:53 am 
The Pin's Mom

JulesKD wrote:
^ That is so completely not feasible to me. Even if they didn't stop shooting / lasering / whatevering right away, I can't even imagine them magically all lining up to kill each other on accident, every last one.

Well, obviously they didn't kill EVERY Dalek, as evidenced by them showing up damn near constantly in the first few seasons of the new show.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:05 am 
Upper Crust

The first swath of them due, of course, to the dalek emperor. Here we see him being blown away from the explosion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:20 pm 
The Pin's Mom

YOU GUYS. I haven't been able to announce this on all my social medias yet because they are seriously slacking on adding me to the official stuff, BUT:

I get to open for a Doctor Who-themed improv show in January!

I'll be playing a 20-minute set before the show on the first two nights, and I am SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THAT. I almost feel like I should write a new song about some related nerdy pop culture property and debut it there. The same group was doing a monthly improvised classic Star Trek show that was selling out on the regular, so I'm hoping the Doctor Who shows follow suit ^_^

If any of you know people in Seattle who'd be into that, direct them to www.seattleexperimentaltheater.com.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Fearless Flyer

sarahalyse wrote:
YOU GUYS. I haven't been able to announce this on all my social medias yet because they are seriously slacking on adding me to the official stuff, BUT:

I get to open for a Doctor Who-themed improv show in January!

I'll be playing a 20-minute set before the show on the first two nights, and I am SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THAT. I almost feel like I should write a new song about some related nerdy pop culture property and debut it there. The same group was doing a monthly improvised classic Star Trek show that was selling out on the regular, so I'm hoping the Doctor Who shows follow suit ^_^

If any of you know people in Seattle who'd be into that, direct them to http://www.seattleexperimentaltheater.com.

Damnit, why am I not in Seattle?

If what I have to say is irresponsible, then I alone am responsible for the saying of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:53 pm 
Upper Crust

So... What did we all think of the Christmas special?
I rather liked it, it had that typical Moffat problem of rushing through a lot of plot and over-using voice over to "tell" us a more epic story than what was being "shown".
On the plus side it linked in all the plot threads since he took over, essentially making Matt Smith's run on the show one long plot arc, which was a cool and ambitious experiment even if it wasn't completely successful.
I really want to re-watch his run from the start now, but I know I won't have time. I'm looking forward Peter Capaldi's series, which is going to be a proper 13-episodes apparently. :D

Addition: I always really liked the new regeneration effect, I've been saying they should update it for a while and it looked like they weren't going to, then they just used a straight cut from Matt's face to Peter's and it worked great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:52 am 
Upper Crust

Eh. There was, like, no plot. Loads of set up that tied up all the arcs from Matt's run really nicely! But then just no plot, a sudden resolution, and a regeneration. The appearance of Amy was the most powerful moment of the show, but it would have hit harder if Moffat had even tried to make me care about any other characters. Matt was great. Jenna Coleman continues to be better than the part demands of her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Eh. There was, like, no plot. Loads of set up that tied up all the arcs from Matt's run really nicely! But then just no plot, a sudden resolution, and a regeneration. The appearance of Amy was the most powerful moment of the show, but it would have hit harder if Moffat had even tried to make me care about any other characters. Matt was great. Jenna Coleman continues to be better than the part demands of her.

I agree, although I still enjoyed it, I think with all the time it took to tie up those plot threads there really wasn't much left for "plot".
I could have easily been a two-parter, although they could have cut all the stuff with Clara's family and the Weeping Angel encounter. As much as I don't like Russell T. Davies I have to give him credit for creating characters, each of his companions had an entire family of interesting characters, what did Clara have?
Also I refuse to believe someone as adorable as Jenna Louise Coleman couldn't get a date, she deserves better writing than she's getting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:12 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I've said elsewhere that I think part of the issues with the Christmas special (which I loved) is that Moffat was convinced that Matt Smith would stay at least one more year and when that didn't happen he had to shoehorn them into one episode. I'm pretty certain the cracks would have started reappearing in the next series (still might, come to that) and the 12 regen thing would have been clarified.

I particularly loved the fact we got both types of Eleventh Doctor speeches. The big, bold, full of bluster, using his name type (Pandorica opens/tower) and the smaller, more personal (convincing Amy to break her faith in him in God Complex/final speech)

If what I have to say is irresponsible, then I alone am responsible for the saying of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:52 pm 
Upper Crust

Deep Breath: There are a lot of things that really work about this (lots of nice thematic connections drawn between the Doctor and various other things), but it never quite sparks: perhaps if they'd stop giving Moffat extended run-times he'd be forced to do something crazy like, say, "reveal character through action" instead of having people sit and argue about their amateur psychoanalysis of each other. Telling us over and over that Clara is a control freak - despite all evidence to the contrary - just suggests that Doctor is a terrible student of behaviour. Jenna Coleman does so well with such a nebulous character. She's not helped by having to do the same epiphany four times in an episode. Not a disaster, but hardly as thrilling as something like The Impossible Astronaut, and nowhere near as good "new Doctor" episode as The Christmas Invasion (which, I suspect, will never be bettered).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:46 pm 
Upper Crust

Um.

I got into the screening at Leicester Square and saw Peter and Jenna and Steven. I have now used up all my luck forever.

And I took a selfie by these things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 am 
Upper Crust

I'm jealous!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:21 pm 
Upper Crust

Five episodes in and Doctor Who is still going strong. I looked up the episode list on Wikipedia to confirm this is the first time I haven't been disappointed by any of the episodes by this point in the season.
The weakest was probably Robot of Sherwood but even that was fun and why hasn't anyone here mentioned Listen yet?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:26 pm 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
I keep up with this thread even though I don't watch the show and it is very entertaining, because most of it sounds like you guys are just making stuff up. What a show. What a time to be alive.

This season started with a dinosaur in Victorian London, which was investigated by a lesbian lizard version of Sherlock Holmes. Then the characters were miniaturized and explored inside one of the shows adversaries Innerspace-style. Then there was Robin Hood with robots followed by an episode so great I don't want to spoil. And this latest episode revolved around a sci-fi bank heist in the future.
I'm not making any of that up. Why are you not watching this show?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50 Next