Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:31 pm 
Upper Crust

Kzap wrote:
tsukasa13 wrote:
I keep up with this thread even though I don't watch the show and it is very entertaining, because most of it sounds like you guys are just making stuff up. What a show. What a time to be alive.

This season started with a dinosaur in Victorian London, which was investigated by a lesbian lizard version of Sherlock Holmes. Then the characters were miniaturized and explored inside one of the shows adversaries Innerspace-style. Then there was Robin Hood with robots followed by an episode so great I don't want to spoil. And this latest episode revolved around a sci-fi bank heist in the future.
I'm not making any of that up. Why are you not watching this show?

The beginning of a new Doctor's run is as good a time as any to start watching. If you like what you're seeing, go back as far as you like and pick it up from there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:05 am 
Upper Crust

This thread has fallen into disuse! Presumably because of a run of underwhelming - or, indeed, bad - episodes in series 8.

I liked Into the Dalek and Time Heist, though they had probelms. I hated The Caretaker and Kill the Moon. I really became fed up with how the Doctor had been turned into a callous, grumpy snob who bullied children.

And then the writers started to course correct. The Doctor became calmer, if not softer, less prone to abuse and insult Clara and others. The last few episodes - Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, In the Forest of the Night, and Dark Water - have ramped up from "good" to "really, really good". Culminating in Dark Water's cliffhanger ending and twist reveal. I have high hopes for this series finale.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:50 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
This thread has fallen into disuse! Presumably because of a run of underwhelming - or, indeed, bad - episodes in series 8.

I liked Into the Dalek and Time Heist, though they had probelms. I hated The Caretaker and Kill the Moon. I really became fed up with how the Doctor had been turned into a callous, grumpy snob who bullied children.

And then the writers started to course correct. The Doctor became calmer, if not softer, less prone to abuse and insult Clara and others. The last few episodes - Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, In the Forest of the Night, and Dark Water - have ramped up from "good" to "really, really good". Culminating in Dark Water's cliffhanger ending and twist reveal. I have high hopes for this series finale.

I agree with you on the first two but I really liked The Caretaker and Kill the Moon too.
In those episodes the Doctor is essentially space-Sherlock but I don't mind that, the only episode I didn't like was The Forest of the Night which I hated, hated, hated due to a complete lack of conflict and a central problem (the trees want to save us but the government are about to distroy them) that was discovered and solved on a mobile phone within the span of 5 minutes.
Listen and Flatline are season highlights for me and will probably go down as some of my favorite episodes of the show.
Even though everyone saw that twist, I thought it was handled really well in the episode and am super looking forward to the finale.
Plus this is starting to pave the way for a female Doctor which is excellent, I don't expect/want Capaldi to regenerate for a long time but when he does they going to want someone who's completely different.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:55 pm 
Upper Crust

We knew that face. Finally.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 am 
Upper Crust

Yeah! I liked the way they dealt with that!

Also: this week clearly set up Maisie Williams as an immortal with a grudge against the Doctor which is something I fully approve of, even if the rest of the episode was just OK.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 pm 
Upper Crust

Bringing this thread back because Doctor Who is back. Although I'm not sure who's still watching it.

I liked the first episode of the new season. It was good. I like Bill. She's pleasingly wide-eyed and less unflappable than some of Moffat's other companions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:25 pm 
Upper Crust

I dug it a lot, and I'm one of those that's felt like Moffat's run has been a lot of up and down (with more down than up). I mostly don't like Matt Lucas (goes "big" for easy laughs too often), but as Nardole he's pretty subtle and great. The Doctor's current setup is a nice nod to Shada and Douglas Adams, and Pearl Mackie is wildly charming as Bill. I was a little disappointed that she didn't look around that alien planet and say "This is another planet? Looks a bit like a deserted quarry." Erring on the side of too little fan service is probably wise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:40 am 
Upper Crust

I agree with all of that except that I'm on the fence about Nardole. He had a couple of decent lines in this episode, but he doesn't feel like a dramatically useful character in the long term. I wonder how long they'll keep Lucas around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:12 am 
Upper Crust

He had little to do other than scurry around, but his back-and-forth with the Doctor down in the vault was the two of them being legitimately funny.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:30 pm 
Upper Crust

Halfway through the season now. God, it's such a thrill to be able to look forward to new episodes of Doctor Who again. This season has been wall-to-wall great sci-fi conceits with a clear social subtext, with this week's "surrender your freedom for a promise of safety" just as timely and important as "capitalism will sell your oxygen back to you and then put your corpse to work" and "the rich run their empires on the bones of the poor". Brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 am 
Upper Crust

The Thirteenth Doctor has been announced, and I heartily approve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am 
Upper Crust

The worst part is the magic sparking teleporting key. I'm good with everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The post at the top of the page is from 2014. Jussayin ... that and padding my post count.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm 
Upper Crust

Can I just reiterate this then?

Quote:
The beginning of a new Doctor's run is as good a time as any to start watching. If you like what you're seeing, go back as far as you like and pick it up from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Can I just reiterate this then?

Quote:

Alright, fine.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 750 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50