Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:00 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Does anyone own a current gen console? The only game I've bought in the last 8 years or more is The Legend of Zelda: Whatever That New One A Couple of Years Ago Was Called.

No, in fact I've never owned a games console, I used to be a PC gamer, mostly Real Time Strategy and Role Playing stuff.
Also I was poor so I was always a couple of years behind. So much of my childhood was spent playing Red Alert, Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood (which no one else seems to have heard of), Warcraft 3 and Baldur's Gate. Played a lot of Lucas Arts stuff too, so was sad to hear they're disappearing.
But I gave it all up when I started college (after failing three of my four A-Levels) I'm thinking of getting a PS3 next year though, as they're dropping in price and I want a Bluray player.
Despite being out of the loop I still keep up with the Zero Punctuation reviews.
Hopefully other people are more knowledge than me on this subject otherwise this is getting to be a very short thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 am 
Upper Crust

Vidiya games!

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII now and having an excellent time with it, mostly because I was relying heavily on a walk-through guide until I got the hang of the world & battle system. I just want to look at the beautiful places and follow the story! But now I'm pretty deep into it and having a good time. Lots of characters, but it's worth it. About 30 hours in.

I also took time off from games in college - I played Call of Duty 4 (only the single player - weird, right?) and Portal. That was it, besides the occasional trek home to play Super Smash Bros with friends. When I moved out here I thought "Grr, I'm an adult, I aint got time for no stinkin' video games!" and sold my PS2. Then bought a new one in January when I finally decided I needed a relaxing hobby.

Whatever counsel Final Fantasy XIII Versus and Kingdom Hearts 3 come out on, I will probably buy.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 am 
Upper Crust

I tend to get completely hung up on one game with a lot of replay value for years at a time. Back in the day, it was Red Alert (the first one) with an insanely modified rules.ini file: Super tanks, crates aplenty, ten times building speed, and multi-hour epic battles that a few times culminated in my friends and I seeing who could build Tesla Coils close enough to the other's base to fry his stuff without risking units.

Then there was Total Annihilation and Kingdoms--the gameplay of original TA was far better than Kingdoms, but fan-made addon packs made both even more fun. I like modding stuff to see how far you can take it, and if you're just playing on your LAN with friends, why not toss all the rules out the window?

Lately--okay, for the last 5 or 6 years, I've had a low-grade WoW addiction. I justify it in that it costs as much a month as one movie ticket, and I can play as much or as little as I want. Sometimes I don't play for weeks on end, then some weekends I sit at home and kill dragons on the internet for hours and hours. Since you didn't ask, here's the little guy I have way too many hours invested in.

One of my friends works for Giant Bomb/Gamespot and he's a former game writer and producer, so he's constantly telling me about the new hotness, which I rarely have interest in. I don't even have a Steam account. But I'm at least a little versed in what's out and big because of his chatter.

Consoles? Molest me not with this pocket calculator stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
I also took time off from games in college - I played Call of Duty 4 (only the single player - weird, right?) and Portal.

The two Portal games were the only games I played at university.

Aside from replaying each Zelda game when the mood strikes, I most frequently make use of the ol' GameCube for a few hours of Tales of Symphonia, a game I have completed probably 12 or more times. I love the battle system so much; I love the overly complicated storyline; I love the cheesy sheen of morality over the top of a genuinely dark and very postmodern approach to theme and the tropes of the RPG; I love the colourfulness; I love the terrible voice acting.

Ugh, so great.

Terrible multiplayer though. The camera just follows player one through battles.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:23 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Vidiya games!

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII now and having an excellent time with it, mostly because I was relying heavily on a walk-through guide until I got the hang of the world & battle system. I just want to look at the beautiful places and follow the story! But now I'm pretty deep into it and having a good time. Lots of characters, but it's worth it. About 30 hours in.

I also took time off from games in college - I played Call of Duty 4 (only the single player - weird, right?) and Portal.

What a coincidence, CoD4 (single player) Portal were pretty much the only games I played during college too, apart from the odd split screen game of CoD4 or Halo at a friends house, were I'd get well and truly trashed.
It's odd, I was such a video game nerd through the first part of school when it wasn't that popular, now everyone I know games and I'm not really that bothered. Still this thread is bringing back nostalgia, I remember playing Total Annihilation too.
I would try and install them again but I doubt they'll play on my Windows 7 PC, which I'm thinking of getting rid of anyway as I edit on my macbook and do everything else on Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 am 
Upper Crust

Dude, I have an install of TA and Kingdoms (with an insane amount of mods on both) that plays fine on Windows 7 (TA does pop a DirectX 5 error on loading but plays fine), say the word and I'll zip the folder and put it on Dropbox for you. It's also much more fun on a newer system since it can actually handle rendering a few thousand units at decent speeds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm 
Upper Crust

I have made no progress on Final Fantasy XII all summer, partially because of my job, but mostly because I got completly stuck on one boss battle and, try as I may, can't even come close to beating it. Very disappointing, as I was rather enjoying myself.

It's like reading a book, and getting to a word you don't understand, and then the book decides you're not allowed to read it anymore, even after you're looked it up in the walkthrough... er, dictionary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 pm 
Ass. V.P.

I forget which FF it was where I stopped. It was literally walk for 30 seconds, then have an 8 minutes cut scene with bad dialogue typed out on the screen, then walk another 30 seconds and repeat. I'm sure it got better, but I was done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
I forget which FF it was where I stopped. It was literally walk for 30 seconds, then have an 8 minutes cut scene with bad dialogue typed out on the screen, then walk another 30 seconds and repeat. I'm sure it got better, but I was done.

It's sad that this could really be 7-13, though my guess is 10. I'm about to go back to 9 I think, and yet I'm still considering buying a PS4 just for 15 because it looks so goddamn cooooool.

Also looking forward to Octodad: Dadliest Catch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:09 pm 
Ass. V.P.

It might have been 9. Or 8? Jesus I dunno.

GAMES ON MY LIST AFTER I FINISH THIS SCRIPT:

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Last of Us
3. Gone Home
4. Walking Dead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 am 
Upper Crust

Whoa, thanks for introducing me to Gone Home. I'm a sucker for adventure games.

I gave in the other day and bought a Nintendo 3DSXL (what a name)

I'm very impressed with this system. The 3-D goes into the screen, not out, making games look like you are playing a diorama. The game selection is good- but it's still a nintendo console so you are not getting the experience say, The Last of Us, provides. That being said this is what I'm playing:

1. Brain Age 2
2. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
3. Mario Kart 7

I put in around 20 minutes of gaming time per day. But it's mostly puzzle games. I'm a puzzle guy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:30 am 
Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
Nintendo 3DSXL (what a name)

The Hyundai XG350 L and Pontiac Bonneville SSEi both wanted to check in and say hello.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 am 
Upper Crust

So I, um, racked up a respective 671 hits against Orca in sword training on Wind Waker this week I'll leave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
Fearless Flyer

tsukasa13 wrote:
rcjohnso wrote:

It's sad that this could really be 7-13, though my guess is 10.

You did not just diss FFVII.

(Sounds like 10 though. 8 was pretty good, though yeah, I could see it being a little draggy.)

VII though? Uh uh. VII was so good, I have to write it in Roman Numerals every time. FFVII. Everything about that game was straight up brilliance.

I'm not even being facetious. I loved the crackiness of it mixed in with the epic mindscrew.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:31 pm 
Upper Crust

Oh, I was just admitting that Rian's description COULD be VII, as they're all cut-scene heavy and not exactly Shakespearean.

Final Fantasy VII is my all time favorite game.