Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:03 am 
Fearless Flyer

Oh yes, VII does have some long cut scenes. It's my favorite, too. Well, along with Ocarina of Time. :)

Resident Evil, anyone? 4 is still my favorite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14 pm 
Upper Crust

Quote:

The original Resident Evil remake for the Nintendo Gamecube had me screaming. The game is scary because there are only a few monsters and you (the character) has only 6 or 8 bullets to kill rampaging zombies and zombie dogs. There wasn't any tentacles or anything like that, it was just you, in a mansion, with no bullets and regular old zombies. I'm not sure if it would hold my attention nowadays, but it scared me stiff when I was 13.

Played Resident Evil 4 too, big fan of that one as well. But Resident Evil 4 is also a turning point in the series. Whereas RE2 and 3 is slow paced horror, RE4 marks the point in which Resident Evil turned into an action adventure. Similar to the difference between Evil Dead 1 and 2 or Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:50 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Busked outside of PAX for a couple hours and got free badges! That shit is CRAY.

But the best part was I got to see the booth for a new game called Legend of Dungeon, where they are showing a sweet trailer for the game that's basically a short film. Guess who is in it?

The trailer's not online anywhere yet, but they promised us it would be on YouTube after it 'premiered' at PAX ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:07 pm 
Fearless Flyer

circuitsnake wrote:
Quote:

The original Resident Evil remake for the Nintendo Gamecube had me screaming. The game is scary because there are only a few monsters and you (the character) has only 6 or 8 bullets to kill rampaging zombies and zombie dogs. There wasn't any tentacles or anything like that, it was just you, in a mansion, with no bullets and regular old zombies. I'm not sure if it would hold my attention nowadays, but it scared me stiff when I was 13.

Played Resident Evil 4 too, big fan of that one as well. But Resident Evil 4 is also a turning point in the series. Whereas RE2 and 3 is slow paced horror, RE4 marks the point in which Resident Evil turned into an action adventure. Similar to the difference between Evil Dead 1 and 2 or Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

This is true. Though RE2 had that horror survival feel to it and I have to admit, I screamed during quite a few moments. 2 was genuinely scary and had a few cheap but effective jump scares. RE4 had, IIRC, one jump-scare. I had nightmares about both games though. In 2, the stupid crocodile gave me a nightmare! And in 4, that damn chainsaw guy and the regenerators. DDDDDDDD:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:36 am 
Upper Crust

I was going to post this in the Pokémon thread but figured I'd resurrect this old thread instead of derailing that one.

The Walking Dead game is fricken amazing!

I haven't been gaming too much at University because I've had more important work to do, unfortunately now I'm in my third year, my housemate has an Xbox360. I watched him play through the first three episodes then I started myself. If you enjoy old-school adventure games, or story based games or just good characters and story you should check it out. I believe the first episode is free in the Xbox store. Climantine is a video game character I feel more connected to than most people in my real life.
Also I've not been keeping up with the TV show or comics and had no problem following the plot.

rcjohnso wrote:
It might have been 9. Or 8? Jesus I dunno.

GAMES ON MY LIST AFTER I FINISH THIS SCRIPT:

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Last of Us
3. Gone Home
4. Walking Dead

Anyone know if Rian's played it yet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Y'all should play this. It starts out with you as a immigrant on a train translating poetry from your native language into english to practice. I know, you're sold already (it's free, and incredible).

http://www.richardhofmeier.com/cartlife/

I also recommend this

http://blendogames.com/thirtyflightsofloving/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 pm 
Upper Crust

I didn't get Thirty Flights of Loving. A friend of mine is a game critic (like, a professional one, not just a dude with a blog) and he recommended it to me a few months ago. I thought it was kind of interesting, but I didn't enjoy it. Certainly raises questions about the nature of gaming and what constitutes a game, because it was so oblique and un-goal-oriented that nothing seemed to run on logic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 pm 
Upper Crust

Has anyone played the browser game Candy Box? Well, the second one came out and it's awesome.
http://candybox2.net/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:22 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I swore by the FF series until 10... and then just... couldn't... anymore.

SKYRIM on the other hand. Holy fuck nuts.

Currently binge-ing on the latest Tomb Raider, which is dumb fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:23 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Oh, and my God, I still can't beat Final Fantasy Tactics to save my life. That game kicks the crap outta me to the day!

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 am 
Fearless Flyer

I gave up on Tactics pretty quickly tbh. :x

My cousin and I are doing a replay of FFVII, which we do probably every 2-3 years. They should never give someone like me the option to name the characters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:11 pm 
Fearless Flyer

oh also looks like they did an HD re-release of another great short art game called "the stanley parable"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
Upper Crust

Did anyone else get Call of Duty?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:39 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Rocco wrote:

If there is one thing that keeps me playing videuh games, it would be technical innovation. Infinity Ward seems not only content with putting out the same game every 2 years, they seem to lack an inherent ability/willingness to roll with the times. Modern Warfare might have been innovative in setting (as in, finally making a non-WWII game), but the reliance on animation instead of proprietary physics is just one example of their "living in the past" style of gameplay design.

What I mean is, when I shoot someone in the face, I want it to look realistic. Call of Duty does not give me that experience. If the half-decade old Mirror's Edge allows for cloth-tearing and soft-body physics, why is a "next-gen-ready" Call of Duty still giving me the ol' rigid, "ballerina-flip" kind of deaths that were around during the first Medal of Honor? Especially when we have MIDDLE-WARE THAT ALLOWS FOR PHYSICS TO BE IMBUED WITH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE like in GTA 4 and 5.

That said, anybody looking forward to next-gen systems? I have my Xbox One pre-ordered, but unfortunately many of the launch titles are ports and not exclusively next-gen-developed, and thus don't look as pretty as they should. This makes me disappointed, as my first memories of the Xbox 360/PS3 are of being absolutely wowed by the graphics/physics/lighting/etc. I'm not getting that from this new generation whatsoever. It is truly a shame when your super-PC-level console doesn't deliver the goods immediately, but I'm hopeful that with time we'll see major changes in the way games are played/presented.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 pm 
Upper Crust

Lewis wrote:
Rocco wrote:

If there is one thing that keeps me playing videuh games, it would be technical innovation. Infinity Ward seems not only content with putting out the same game every 2 years, they seem to lack an inherent ability/willingness to roll with the times. Modern Warfare might have been innovative in setting (as in, finally making a non-WWII game), but the reliance on animation instead of proprietary physics is just one example of their "living in the past" style of gameplay design.

What I mean is, when I shoot someone in the face, I want it to look realistic. Call of Duty does not give me that experience. If the half-decade old Mirror's Edge allows for cloth-tearing and soft-body physics, why is a "next-gen-ready" Call of Duty still giving me the ol' rigid, "ballerina-flip" kind of deaths that were around during the first Medal of Honor? Especially when we have MIDDLE-WARE THAT ALLOWS FOR PHYSICS TO BE IMBUED WITH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE like in GTA 4 and 5.

That said, anybody looking forward to next-gen systems? I have my Xbox One pre-ordered, but unfortunately many of the launch titles are ports and not exclusively next-gen-developed, and thus don't look as pretty as they should. This makes me disappointed, as my first memories of the Xbox 360/PS3 are of being absolutely wowed by the graphics/physics/lighting/etc. I'm not getting that from this new generation whatsoever. It is truly a shame when your super-PC-level console doesn't deliver the goods immediately, but I'm hopeful that with time we'll see major changes in the way games are played/presented.

I don't play it for it's innovation and realism, I play it because it's fun. That being said, the new one is the worst, least different multiplayer in the series. Hopefully the story mode (written by the guy who wrote Traffic and Syriana) is good, though.

I'll probably be getting a PS4. Can't wait to see where the generation goes, but I'm not too optimistic about graphics.