Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 am 
Upper Crust

Since 2010?! Uhh, lived most of my life. Or so it feels.

In 2012, I moved to Los Angeles, as most of you know. Hung out with many of your shining faces, worked at a major casting company for two years, and directed an indie feature. It never felt like home, I never really found my people, and I became way more interested in indie filmmaking than working in "the system", so as fewer of you know, I moved back to Illinois last spring. Did some freelance work, became post supervisor on a friends feature, joined forces with that friend to start a little production company, DP'd his second feature, and am now prepping my second feature to shoot in November while working on wrapping up my first.

Also I just moved back into Chicago proper and got a job editing & camera operating on a true-crime cable show. Also I started dating again after not doing that for four years. So things are pretty okay right now.

Hello!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:33 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

I am so absolutely proud of you, Marc!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:02 pm 
Upper Crust

That's awesome, Marc. Chicago is my favorite city by far (however, I have never been to New York or LA).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:52 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Watched a ton of movies, did a bunch of customer service, started a career in software development, got burned out, realized that I enjoy making movies, now working on scripts while looking for a new job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:24 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Daniel is a great name.
Best wishes.
Love the avatar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 am 
The Pin's Mom

Ohhh man. I'm sorry I'm in here so seldom, you guys. I feel like I have failed you. I still miss you all and miss the forum, but...I guess I started to lose steam after Looper, when it became evident that message boards just aren't the preferred method for fan-creator interaction anymore :(

I just want to take this opportunity to say I love how long this forum has kept going, and how many people are still kicking around here since the beginning. I also love that Marc has never changed his username :mrgreen:

I feel like I missed why we're playing catch up since 2010, but here's my last five years in a nutshell: Started a band that year, which has now recorded three home recordings and a studio EP and done a few small regional tours. Started writing solo material, released a demo in 2013, and am starting to plan a proper full-length to record this winter (probably). Lost my Regular Grownup Job two years ago next month, and have been working odd jobs and scraping by. Making more money from music, though still not enough. But in the last couple years I've started to play at being a studio musician, and provided washboard and vocals for close to 10 different recordings locally, so I'm hoping to keep that up (and maybe actually get paid sometimes). This summer I acted as musical director for a theatrical production for the first time, which was exhausting and terrifying but rewarding in the end.

Couple weeks ago ChadPeter and I came tantalizingly close to making a movie together, but things fall apart. Wouldn't that have been a hoot?

After living alone in the same apartment for 7 years I finally got priced out last fall, and am now living in a place I can't afford with a roommate I can't stand. So, things could be better.

But I still love y'all <3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:29 pm 
Shamus

I had a kid, which has been life-affirming, life-changing, and life-threatening at various times and in various combinations. My involvement in music has dwindled to almost nothing, but I still pick up my instruments and play for my own amusement. Movie watching has also declined dramatically, though I did find time to watch A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence the other night (Neil, you can rent it on Amazon!). I mostly work and hang out with my daughter, which probably would have horrified my pre-kid self but is pretty fulfilling to the post-kid me.

I did, however, find time to collaborate with my friend on a podcast, and I think it turned out okay! It's a comedic radio variety show hosted by a bitter centenarian ex-Vaudeville performer. If anyone has 18 minutes to spare and wants a grim laugh, please check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/odious-ari/odious-aris-hour-of-misery-episode-6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
Ohhh man. I'm sorry ...

stop that. right now. you are THE sarahalyse & don't have to prove anything to anybody anytime.
lovelove and just be you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:39 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Cuimean wrote:
I mostly work and hang out with my daughter, which probably would have horrified my pre-kid self but is pretty fulfilling to the post-kid me.

just a way wild guess, but i think maybe most people's pre-kid self is a patchwork quilt of received wish-dreams.
sounds to me like you have adapted SUPERBLY. based on the tiny-tiny scratch'n'sniff version of personality that
comes through the ether you have always seemed to me an extraordinary man. BEST.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:26 pm 
Fearless Flyer

sarahalyse wrote:
Couple weeks ago ChadPeter and I came tantalizingly close to making a movie together, but things fall apart. Wouldn't that have been a hoot?

I'm STILL super bummed about that. Ugh. It could still happen, but if it does - that'll mean my 2nd feature never found financing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:38 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Oh yeah, and on my last visit to LA (last spring, for the one of the final Thrilling Adventure Hour shows) I got to meet Cuimean's precious little bundle of joy AND his lovely wife! It was a real treat.

Chad: Well, now I feel bad. Of course I want your feature to get funding, but I also selfishly want to help you make a movie. I guess I'll just go back to dreaming of some crazy circumstance where you, Marc, and Donnacha all make a movie together, with me and Cuimean doing the score. Max can star!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:49 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
Max can star!

Oh, Lord! Now it'll never be made.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:41 pm 
Fearless Flyer

maxfrost wrote:
sarahalyse wrote:
Max can star!

Oh, Lord! Now it'll never be made.

hahah, what why?!

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.