Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:46 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: The Netherlands
I never really got Chinatown. Or maybe I just didn't like it that much.

There's a lot I haven't seen, though some of which I'm not really interested in seeing. Of the ones I have seen, this is my top 15.

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
(this should just say "The Lord of the Rings" shouldn't it? It was made as one giant movie. Otherwise I'd like to nominate the first half of Gone With The Wind to get an entry separate from that boring second half.)
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. Star Wars
4. Casablanca
5. Citizen Kane
6. Titanic
7. Annie Hall
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. Jaws
10. Blade Runner
11. Apocalypse Now
12. It's a Wonderful Life
13. Raiders of the Lost Ark
14. All the President's Men
15. The Silence of the Lambs

_________________
Me. - My company.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:03 am 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 5799
Location: Critterville
Thank you for your contribution, T-jones.
8)

Dear T-jones,
In thinking on "Chinatown" i remember it being almost opaque at first viewing. It would seem
to be more of an acquired taste than say, "Lawrence of Arabia". The dialogue is turgid with a
variety of vernacular influences both period and stylistic. As always, your point is well made.
Best,
Neil

_________________
if everything is starting to look like copy from Popular Science circa 1972, thank the internet


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:41 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: The Netherlands
I'll give it another watch then.

_________________
Me. - My company.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:56 am 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 5799
Location: Critterville
On no T, i wasn't trying to get you to watch it. Just confirming your absolute
right to your conclusions and admitting that CHINATOWN can easily be a
slippery movie to deal with. Pardon me for not being clearer.
Best,
Neil

_________________
if everything is starting to look like copy from Popular Science circa 1972, thank the internet


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:27 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm
Posts: 1105
Neil_Leach wrote:
On no T, i wasn't trying to get you to watch it. Just confirming your absolute
right to your conclusions and admitting that CHINATOWN can easily be a
slippery movie to deal with. Pardon me for not being clearer.
Best,
Neil


It becomes better the more noir you consume. I watched it, thought it was okay but "over-rated", read some Chandler and watched a ton of film noir, watched it again and was BLOWN AWAY.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:27 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am
Posts: 2683
Location: UK
Speaking for the opposition: I think Chinatown may well have been one of the first noir films I saw, and I immediately loved it. Sometimes things speak to you, sometimes they don't; sometimes it takes a while to hear them, sometimes you keep listening but still hear nothing.


edit:

My 15, unordered beyond the AFI's ordering, because I'm lazy as heck. Very few if any of these would make a top 15 of my absolute favourites.

1. Citizen Kane
3. Casablanca
7. Lawrence of Arabia
10. The Wizard of Oz
13. Star Wars
15. 2001: A Space Odyssey
21. Chinatown
31. The Maltese Falcon
35. Annie Hall
66. Raiders of the Lost Ark
74. The Silence of the Lambs
77. All the President's Men
94. Pulp Fiction
96. Do the Right Thing
97. Blade Runner


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:47 am 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 5799
Location: Critterville
Combine the responses of Rocco and Day Glo & you get the distinct impression
that CHINATOWN is a movie that is so specialized in voice that it depends more
than many upon personal context to shape response. This is not an endorsement
of CHINATOWN as deserving a high historical placing, but an observation on the
nature of art in general. The point here seems to bear on the assumed understanding
of what constitute "classic" art. Without a neutral and honest view of the inherent bias
of taste, what is called "classic" art often shrinks to the point of being an essentially
technical exercise.

_________________
if everything is starting to look like copy from Popular Science circa 1972, thank the internet


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 1227
Location: The Netherlands
Rocco wrote:
Neil_Leach wrote:
On no T, i wasn't trying to get you to watch it. Just confirming your absolute
right to your conclusions and admitting that CHINATOWN can easily be a
slippery movie to deal with. Pardon me for not being clearer.
Best,
Neil


It becomes better the more noir you consume. I watched it, thought it was okay but "over-rated", read some Chandler and watched a ton of film noir, watched it again and was BLOWN AWAY.


I'm actually a huge noir fan, and watched Chinatown because of that. Noir got me into making movies, and most of my earliest amateur high school efforts were all noir, and noir got me into film school. Maybe I just expected too much of Chinatown? Who knows. But I'll definitely give it another shot, 'cause it's been long enough ago that I don't even remember what I did and didn't like about it.

_________________
Me. - My company.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:54 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am
Posts: 2683
Location: UK
Neil_Leach wrote:
Combine the responses of Rocco and Day Glo & you get the distinct impression
that CHINATOWN is a movie that is so specialized in voice that it depends more
than many upon personal context to shape response. This is not an endorsement
of CHINATOWN as deserving a high historical placing, but an observation on the
nature of art in general. The point here seems to bear on the assumed understanding
of what constitute "classic" art. Without a neutral and honest view of the inherent bias
of taste, what is called "classic" art often shrinks to the point of being an essentially
technical exercise.

Indeed. The recognised "canon" of cinema is largely Rotten-Tomatoes-With-Hindsight: aggregated positive opinion, plus time.

There are a whole load of "classic" films that do absolutely nothing for me, and a few which I actively dislike.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:28 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm
Posts: 1105
Day Glo wrote:
The recognised "canon" of cinema is largely Rotten-Tomatoes-With-Hindsight: aggregated positive opinion, plus time.
.


I love this and completely agree with what you said.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited