Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:21 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:50 pm 
Upper Crust

Hey folks -

Gonna start a new thread here since this is slightly different from flimmaking (typo intentional). Does anybody recommend any good festivals to submit features and shorts to? Currently submitting my first feature and Sundance doesn't open until a little while, but I've got some shorts lying around. Thought I'd use the collective knowledge of our lovely forum to compile a list of potential "Brick Forum" approved festivals.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:02 pm 
Upper Crust

This is also a question of mine, so I look forward to reading your responses.

The best festival experience I had was The Sycamore Film Festival, which appears to no longer exist. They flew me back to central Illinois from Cali and treated all the filmmakers fantastically. I'm keeping an eye on it, in case they decide to bring it back.

I know Sean will recommend the Flyway Film Festival, which I haven't had the honor of being accepted to yet, though not for lack of trying.

I've screened three times at Illinois International, which was admittedly a pretty small event put on with a consumer projector in an independent theater without heat, but they were always very nice, cheap, and had full Q&As with everyone.

I'm waiting to hear from the MiddleCoast Film Festival, which sounds like a great time here in the Midwest. I've attended the Chicago Critics Festival, which is held at Chicago's coolest theater (The Music Box). Donnacha's theater will be hosting the Naperville Independent Film Festival, which is located in the Chicago burbs.

In LA, Sean and I saw a premier at Cinema at the Edge Independent Film Festival, which was small-to-medium but was presented very professionally to a packed house. If you're looking to go big-time, AFI is a massive event for all of LA every year, it seems. Definitely an upper tier festival in presentation and pricing, but it's "legit".

I think I'll be going to Tromadance this year, which definitely caters to a pretty specific niche, but promises to be loads of fun. And it is free to submit, so no harm there.

Most of the others I've been in were small ventures that have since faded away, but will update if I remember more, or if anything develops RE: a Sunset Rock festival screening.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:30 pm 
Upper Crust

And I'll get back to both of you on the Windsor Film Festival (WIFF), if you're interested. Just need to figure out if they accept submissions or if they just scout other fests.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:08 pm 
Upper Crust

Raindance in London has a very good reputation. My friend and sometimes-collaborator Rob Savage premiered his first feature there a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:54 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

prolly not the best time to visit the continent ...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:08 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:

I couldn't find the trailer to his movie, but I vimeo stalked him and am now a fan. Some of those shorts are haunting, I need to spend more time, but thank you for introducing me to his work.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:37 am 
Upper Crust

Rob's very, very good. He's going to be a great director before long. And Strings is brilliant, which horrible, because he was 18 when he made it. How unreasonable of him. Vertigo bought it for distribution and took it to a few other festivals in Europe and the US, but never put it out on release. Disappointing.