Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1121 122 123 124 125128 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:12 am 
Upper Crust

This movie is really coming together fast!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Ya know, I could play "tall blonde goofball's inept, but totally unaware of being so's father" who has adventures that only retirees can have with their "hairy, heavy, and slow" neighbor.

Uh ... is that "with" as in "together", or "with" as in "doing something to"?

And the sooner I get my MOLLY Blu-ray, the sooner I'll start being nice to everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
maxfrost wrote:
Ya know, I could play "tall blonde goofball's inept, but totally unaware of being so's father" who has adventures that only retirees can have with their "hairy, heavy, and slow" neighbor.

Uh ... is that "with" as in "together", or "with" as in "doing something to"?

Ummm... YES!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:55 am 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Worth noting: the two cities are about 100 miles apart (and about three hours in the car depending on where you're staying. The 110 to the 710 to the 405 to the 5 is much faster than the 5 straight down--the East LA Interchange is horrific for traffic). But right in between them is this one town, San Clemente, where some movie I once saw was shot...

Hollywood notes: Hollywood Boulevard is a trash heap of gift shops. Drive past and look at the sights, then actually get out on Melrose and wander around. Eat at Canter's and maybe also Barney's Beanery (this immortal scene from the greatest film of all time was filmed there). Going to "the beach" from there is an hour (or more) drive, but if you do, Venice over Santa Monica.

San Diego: It's been a while, but the Gaslamp used to be fun (last time I was there it was a wee bit corporate for my tastes, but so is everything). I did enjoy Northpark, but it's fairly small. Film nerd: The BBQ joint from Top Gun is right downtown.

This is just the best advice. Thank you. Hopefully I can find the Brick tunnel and snap a photo with a trashbag.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:35 pm 
Upper Crust

You'll never find can't possibly miss it.

If you want any more tips, I did grow up there and know both LA and SD kind of well--LA more than SD, but SD is pretty small in comparison. For LA, it's better to think of it as an interlinked area of small towns rather than one large city--Hollywood is distinct from the West Side is distinct from the Valley is distinct to other surprisingly close parts of the Valley and so on. Once traffic dictates that any drive over 10 miles in any direction will be 40 minutes or more, people tend to stay in their own village.

SD note: I recommend La Jolla even though it is a bit out of the way. There's not a lot of there there but it's aesthetically pleasing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 pm 
Upper Crust

Yeah everyone is telling me to go to La Jolla. Any other recommendations? I kind of want to explore neighborhoods in LA. I have a dream of moving there one day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:29 pm 
Upper Crust

LA THINGS: I lived in & around the Culver City area for a couple years, downtown Culver is worth checking out. Father's Office is good for a nice burger & long tap list - I've been there with members of this forum on a few occasions! Explore Venice on the West side and Silverlake/Echo Park on the East!

See something in the Cineramadome and/or at The New Beverly and/or Cinefamily. Griffith Observatory & the surrounding trails are pretty neat. The Arsenal was a good West side spot, at least in my time - also The Daily Pint for a whiskey (Rian used to frequent this spot in the day, too, if I'm remembering right). Two Boots Pizza has my favorite slice on the East side - the one with white sauce & sweet sausage & jalepeneos.

Seconding Canter's - specifically in the middle of the night.

Universal Studios is obviously touristy but a LOT of fun. If you don't want the rides & such, just hit the WB studio lot tour, that's a blast too.

Aaaaaaand now I miss L.A. Just a little.

Last edited by tsukasa13 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:28 am 
Upper Crust

Awesome. Thanks. Universal Studios sounds like a great idea, but I think the Misses wants to hit disneyland.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:15 pm 
Upper Crust

Canter's, Canter's, Canter's. Pastrami Reuben for great justice. Sarah can tell you which stuff to buy at the bakery (or maybe she already did?).

Universal is pretty fun but if the lines for their (very few) rides are short there's only about a half-day of stuff to do. Luckily it's about half the price of Disneyland, so it works out. I don't even know if they still have the studio tour, but if you go it's worth doing, both for the cheesiness of the commentary (a friend used to do it; every tour guide is a) an aspiring actor and b) encouraged to come up with their own script of corny jokes) and--if it's the same as the last time I did it--the almost-unbelievable lack of relevance to the current film/TV industry: "This bridge was used in The Dukes of Hazzard S02E04 when the Duke Boys faked a landslide to get away from Roscoe!" And then two pieces of lumber shift slightly, which is how they had landslides back in the early 80s.

Also, and I don't know if you need the pep talk: No matter what you think of it, Disneyland is way more fun than you think. I took a very very very resistant ex there once for her first time; we got through the tunnel at the entrance, she stopped, took it in (sights included a horse-drawn carriage, a live brass band, Main Street, the Matterhorn, scads of happy people being happy but not in an annoying way), kind of sighed in a deflated manner, straightened up, and said, "Okay." I've never seen someone's expectations change so utterly so fast. An hour later she started talking about getting annual passes. Also, you have to get a churro, it's kind of the law. Well, my law. Also, you should eat at Bruxie. The one listed in "Olde Towne Orange" [sic] is not far away.

I know Hollywood and the Valley better than what Marc's already mentioned on the West Side, so I won't add much to it. You should maybe try to get to a Dodgers game too, it's a sweet ballpark if you're into that sort of thing.

These are the areas in Hollywood I'd recommend exploring on foot:

Note the circle in the lower right, that's the lovely Wiltern Theatre, a very nicely restored Art Deco auditorium. See who's playing when you're there and catch a show. It's easy to find, since my dad (who grew up in LA) tediously told me many times, it's a combination of "Wilshire" and "Western", which it sits on the corner of. LATE EDIT: I just realized I circled the wrong intersection. Sorry dad.

I would demand you go to The Comedy Store, but I've never been either. And everyone probably should regardless of where they live or if they're even alive right now.

I'd try to recommend neighborhoods to scout for living in, but what I like may well be radically different. Traffic being what it is (and keep in mind I'm a maniac about this) you're better off picking a place to live that's close to work. If there are any geographical or road deficiencies (hills, I-5 inexplicably narrows to 3 lanes for half a mile just short of downtown when driving north, all drivers there are more or less insane, hey is that a shoe on the side of the road I better get out and look, it's raining, it just rained, it could possibly rain in the future, it's dark, high-speed chase, it's bright, low-speed chase, why is a guy pushing a shopping cart in the fast lane, hey is that a hovercraft/Arnold/Kobe/three guys in a trench coat wrestling an alligator, Harvey Keitel throwing shade) it's probably best to leave two hours early and find a coffee shop you like near work.

That being said, if you're not planning on working in LA proper, check out Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach and particularly Long Beach. Cheap(er than LA), close to the water (in southern California that means summer is 15-20 degrees cooler), undergoing a cultural renaissance, still close to both LA and OC (which matters to me but likely not to you). Some friends of mine lived at Broadway and Pine in LB for a while, it's a pretty nice little functional walkable downtown, particularly for the LA area, which is so car-based they've made movies about it. A lot of friends live/have lived in this area (below) for years, it's pretty mellow and suburban but close to everything (downtown, stuff to do, freeways to get out to do other stuff) and sanely priced for California. Final endorsement: If I ever moved back south, I would probably end up in Long Beach over LA or OC.

One last thing, I looked at this old thread and it appears my Google Earth placemarks are no more, and I don't have a backup. If you really want to dork out in San Clemente checking out all the locations I can redo them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:25 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

best.site.ever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 pm 
Upper Crust

Amazing guys thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm 
Upper Crust

Molly's first review!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

T-jones wrote:

I Want To See This Now!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 am 
Upper Crust

Just got back from LA/San Diego. Thanks Justin & Marc for all the advice, I definitely got to see a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:49 pm 
Upper Crust

Photos and stories are required.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1121 122 123 124 125128 Next