Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1953 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1122 123 124 125 126131 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:10 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Photos and stories are required.

I could rant for ages about this trip. LA is welcoming and not at all intimidating. LA traffic is just as bad as DC traffic. It's beautiful. I didn't make it to Canters, but I did make it to the observatory and saw Tom Lennon next to the Cinerama in a Veggiegrill. Made it to Santa Monica, West Hollywood, the Grove. I bought a copy of Branded to Kill from a Barnes and Noble, which is an extinct brand in DC.

San Diego Black Film Festival (SDBFF) screening went really well. If it wasn't for the star of the film Reggie Melbrough's comedy career there would have been nobody there. The film is starting to take on a life of it's own and I'm really excited. The festival itself was really disappointing. They tried to get me to buy a filmmaker pass for $250 (a.k.a $500 for me and the lady) We tried to go to TWO networking events that were EMPTY. But San Diego is a gorgeous community, made to la Jolla which is like a weird version of Cape Cod. Highlight was Ocean Beach which was exactly the California experience I was hoping for with hippies and families on the beach living side by side on the sunset. I loved it.

I drove through San Clemente. It looks nothing like Brick whatsoever. I didn't really work hard to find locations, sorry guys, my girlfriend was like "what's brick? Why are we here? What movie? No I haven't seen it. No I'm not going to a tunnel, are we going to Disneyland?" I love her. I drove by the high-school, but didn't stop, that's about as far as I've gotten. So needless to say we're gonna watch Brick soon. Disneyland was genuinely strange, there were so many people and the rides were all just carts on tracks. Got to go on Hysperspace mountain twice cause the ride stalled out.

All in all, I've been talking a lot about moving out there recently and it's definitely doable. DC has a political climate that we want to get away from. Being a filmmaker in the capital of the nation is really interesting, but West Coast seems to be where we are headed eventually.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:36 pm 
Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
I didn't make it to Canters

Skipped the rest. You're fired.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:06 pm 
Upper Crust

I might have been joking before.

Anyway, LA is fine as long as you know what you're expecting--it's easy to assume it's the size of Manhattan (if that's where you're from) or as easy to get around as [a mythical place that's actually easy to get around], when in fact it is quite fucking massive and inconvenient geography/roads/people/buildings/traffic/whatever makes traveling three miles as the Google Maps flies incomprehensibly difficult, like this 6-mile drive I once did and certainly didn't misjudge that hairpin turn and careen very slightly off the road and directly into a ROAD ENDS sign at, thankfully, a low speed.

I don't drive any more. Not because of that, just because I'm only a disembodied brain in a tank. Long story.

Also, you were here at Peak Green Weather, as I just started calling it now. There are a few lovely verdant weeks in spring, particularly after as wet as it's been, then it all dies and we get shades of brown the rest of the year, most of which only occasionally bursts into flame. But it generally is beautiful, I'm only dourly setting expectations as only expat natives can.

San Clemente has built up a LOT lately, and although you can see the high school from the freeway (easier northbound than southbound), like most places you only get an idea of gas stations and low-end eateries if you don't actually go explore. The older parts make up a charming little town, while the newer stuff (mostly east of the freeway because duh they built by the ocean first) is Any Suburb, USA. Fun (useless) fact: this stretch of I-5 (right next to the HS) was the widest road in the world when it was built in the late 1950s until...I'm not sure when.

Also, I've been to DC (very) briefly once 4-5 years ago. You're not joking about the politics. Also, the bizarre 1986 fashion sense--every third adult male was in khaki pants, blue blazer, red tie with puffy hair. They, like, know Reagan's gone, right?

Also--and this is very slightly awkward to ask--which two are you in the pictures?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:57 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Also--and this is very slightly awkward to ask--which two are you in the pictures?

+1
My guess is usual suspect #5.

Justin wrote:
I don't drive any more. Not because of that, just because I'm only a disembodied brain in a tank. Long story.

I'm your huckleberry. Send blog/diary entries to my email.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm 
Upper Crust

ahahaha oh noooo, I've made a huge mistake posting that photo! Those are real people with lives! You monsters!

I'm not in the photo.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:46 pm 
Upper Crust

I wasn't sure if you were, as there are only three obvious couples in the picture and no one gave me a strong DC/khaki vibe. I was going to say if you were the two on the far right that you already look like Californians. But they probably are.

As for the brain/jar, let's just say interplanetary travel is rough on physical bodies. Never try to visit your home planet without reading a guide blarglesnarz (book) first.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Eckankar, hunh? My deepest condolences.

He's #5, the Roger "Verbal" Kint looking guy. I know these things.
He can't admit it because the guy with the white shirt and dome
glare is Keyser Söze, and NOBODY is supposed to know that.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 am 
Upper Crust

Glad you had a good LA trip! Excited to be back there again sometime soon. Also excited to see your dang movie - when does that become available to normal folks like us?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Glad you had a good LA trip! Excited to be back there again sometime soon. Also excited to see your dang movie - when does that become available to normal folks like us?

Dude. I don't know. I managed to make a connection with a guy at Netflix the other day and I'm trying to go that route, but the best advice I've gotten so far is to drop a new trailer and pay for some twitter ads. Still waiting on festivals. We're up to two fests. I'll let you know, the market is so different and strange.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Aw balls, I've been away too much lately and I missed the whole conversation. I would have pointed out that the best way to get a quick Brick fix without driving ALL over San Clemente would be to stop by Carrow's, since it's right next to the tunnel. That way he could have seen at least two locations, even if he didn't have time to climb down into the tunnel. Then again, a quick Googling shows that the Carrow's closed in 2015, and was inconclusive about what, if anything, has been done with the site....so the tunnel might not have been accessible anyway :(

Excited to see the film whenever it becomes available, though! Congrats, David ^_^

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:15 pm 
Upper Crust

Thanks Sarah!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:27 pm 
Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
Aw balls, I've been away too much lately and I missed the whole conversation. I would have pointed out that the best way to get a quick Brick fix without driving ALL over San Clemente would be to stop by Carrow's, since it's right next to the tunnel. That way he could have seen at least two locations, even if he didn't have time to climb down into the tunnel. Then again, a quick Googling shows that the Carrow's closed in 2015, and was inconclusive about what, if anything, has been done with the site....so the tunnel might not have been accessible anyway :(

Excited to see the film whenever it becomes available, though! Congrats, David ^_^

There was a rumor 8-10 years ago they were going to turn it into an In-N-Out, but I haven't been down in a couple of years to see if that's actually happening.

burgers and fries, oh my

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 am 
Upper Crust

There was a Starbucks that made the best ice coffee that I've had in years.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
Aw balls ...

What a classic expression. There was a guy in my cabin one summer at Gay Valley. That was the name of the summer camp. Anyway, he would say "balls" about everything detestable or the least bit undesirable. I think he was a Yankee, as I had not encountered the word used in this context through the length, depth, and breadth of my Southeastern USA upbringing. His "balls" made such an impression on me that I remember his name. I think this was around 1970. Knew the guy for 3 months. Almost 50 years ago. His name was Peter Cagle. Balls. Every woman should use "balls" in a pejorative context daily. Except in the presence of children. I don't know, maybe especially then. Balls. Balls. Balls. Take that, all you little dick havers. That'd take 'em down a notch. Maybe they wouldn't grow up to be President if they knew better. Balls. Thanks, Pete. Love you, Sarah.

Where the well-heeled and genteel are know to post.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 am 
Upper Crust

Molly's on the market in Cannes with a new poster the sales agent had made which isn't my favourite, but I kinda get why that would maybe sell, because it looks like you'll get affordable action, which is kinda what buyers tend to be looking for. Still though: Cannes. 8)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1953 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1122 123 124 125 126131 Next