Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:53 am 
Lapdog

See, why do I always find stuff like this when I'm at work? I'm twitching to go look see (becasue, yes, I'm one of those people who far, far away) but I don't have GoogleEarth here.

Patience is not one of my virtues either...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:35 am 
Lapdog

I feel really dumb. I dno't know how to open those files, and I don't know how it fits into the plot. I felt like I got the movie OK a few days ago... and now I don't feel like I get it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:10 am 
Shamus

This is just. so. cool. I can't wait to get home either.

And the fact that you guys have been to the Tunnel is just awesome to me. Its like saying, "Oh yeah, I went to school just south of Mount Doom." Like that level of mythical location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:01 pm 
Lapdog

So, having got home, have to say - very cool. Thanks so much for that!!!

And no challenge should be faced without a little charm and a lot of style"

The Bluetones - Bluetonic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:24 pm 
Shamus

Finally home! Gotta say, awesome awesome. Thanks very much!

Now, where is The Pin's house? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:56 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Unfortunately the PIn's house is no more. It was levelled a week after we shot the exteriors.

The interiors, however, were shot at the Blarney Castle, a bed and breakfast down by the pier in San Clemente.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:47 pm 
Lapdog

I was invited to go to a party tonight in San Clemente. I was thinking about seeing if I could find the hole or something...

but I didn't have enough gas money to go. BLAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:21 am 
Upper Crust

Katherine, as you may have figured out, you have to have Google Earth in order to open/view these things. Download it, it's totally worth it even without these silly things. You'll waste hours of time looking at surprisingly high-res satellite images of, say, Rome. Fun!

Also, I know vaguely where the Pin's house was--the street, at least--but given that it's a street where people, like, live, I dunno if I would want to set loose the hordes of Brick fans to cruise past the spot where it was. Plus, the actual location of the house isn't all that plot-centric like some of the other points I flagged.

One other thing I could tag is that lovely shot at the top of the hill that you get for a few seconds while Brendan's peeking out of Tug's trunk. Later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:19 pm 
Upper Crust

This one would be easy to find without the kmz file, but figured I'd add it to the collection:

Sarmentoso & Del Rio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:20 am 
Upper Crust

Doh! I thought I had it in there. I'll add that to the collection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:47 pm 
Upper Crust

The updated file now includes Del Rio & Sarmentoso, Kara's base of operations, and the spot where Dode passes the "tunnel" note to Emily (and a little custom graphic). Download. And, looking at the original zip file, it looks like I hadn't included the spot where Tug and Brendan initially faced off, so that's there now.

Future things I'm thinking of are a "Pin's neighborhood"-- a general area of where the Pin's house was, and maybe a very rough path showing the approximate way the foot chase went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:55 pm 
Upper Crust

Something I noticed today was that when Brendan tails Dode and sees him give Emily the note that there's a continuity error. Or at least something that doesn't make sense when looking at it on a map.

One of the places that Dode goes by on his way to see Em is the same Lowe's parking lot that "Brendan vs Tug" happens in. That's in the opposite direction of where he's headed. But the audience doesn't know that so it doesn't really matter. Just something I noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:07 am 
Upper Crust

Yeah, the only way that really gets noticed is if you look at it literally, like you would after seeing the actual locations on the map. Del Rio and Sarmentoso is not really someplace you could run to (like Brendan does) from the high school in under, I dunno, 20 minutes, after which you wouldn't be in the mood to talk on the phone anyway. Fall down and barf, sure. Chat, not so much.

The original script had Pico & Alexander as the spot for the phone booth--don't bother looking, "Alexander" doesn't exist--but Pico in general has built up quite significantly since the script was written, and it probably would have been completely impossible to get any part of it shut down to shoot the necessary scenes. So it was moved to a quieter residential street.

But again, you'd have to know the town (or look at a map) to notice this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:21 am 
Upper Crust

I've forgotten about Microsoft's new maps that is trying to compete with Google. For some areas they have actual "bird's eye" photos, I assume from helicopter mappers or something like that, in addition to satellite photos. San Clemente is one of those areas.

Here's a permalink to the best shot of the tunnel and Carrow's. This would extremely spoilerish if the Google Earth maps are considered spoilers:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=2979317

If you look around some near there, you can probably recognize where a lot of the scenes around the school were shot, such as the chase scene route.

Oh, and you can also turn the map to see it from four different angles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 am 
Upper Crust

Ever since actually eating at Carrow's in SC, I've known about this but didn't actually see anything in the movie that would have shown otherwise. And actually, I'm just bored here and when I get bored I look at the smallest details. This below is not behind Carrow's. Directly "behind" (more actually to the side) is a McDonald's parking lot.

This is actually at the high school. Here's a bird's eye view picture of it and the Google Earth placemark. I regret not finding this before I went there so I would know to check it out.

And yes...I get a kick out of shattering my "suspended disbelief" after watching a movie twenty times.

Oh, and hooray for dead thread revival!