Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:08 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

While you're there check out Francis Dollarhyde again, played by "The Noonan." Probably not the only pyschopathic-steel-teeth-wearing-dragon-tatooed-blind-woman-lover role ever, but possibly one of the best.

http://www.tomnoonan.com/

If you're in New York hit up his workshops - worked with Tom for a bit - email me for the inside track.

Hey Rian,

Looking for a 6'5'' bald serial killer type for the next one?

-Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:56 pm 
Hash Head

Ok so I've thought a lot about the Brain Theory while reading all of everyone else's inputs and they're all really good.

For one - At the famous ending shot where Brain comes out from Brendan's head they have an exchange of words, and at the end Brendan goes "You did well, Brain" (I think). That line could infer that he was, indeed, talking to himself and saying that he deserves to sleep seeing as how he tells Brain to go home and sleep after that line.

Another thing goes with what posi-mike said where Brendan is always pacing back and forth when talking to Brain. The way he's talking to Brain it seems that he could either be drilling Brain for answers that he needs (which is the obvious side to it) or he could be reviewing the things that he knows/doesn't know in his head. He goes through and lists all of the things and sort of "checks them off." "Brick? No. Bad Brick? Nope. Tug?" And so on. He also lists off the possibilities that things could be. Like with Tug Brain says it could be a drink. So it could be Brendan's own speculation inside of his mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:17 pm 
The Duke

Proverb wrote:
While you're there check out Francis Dollarhyde again, played by "The Noonan." Probably not the only pyschopathic-steel-teeth-wearing-dragon-tatooed-blind-woman-lover role ever, but possibly one of the best.
http://www.tomnoonan.com/
If you're in New York hit up his workshops - worked with Tom for a bit - email me for the inside track.
Hey Rian,
Looking for a 6'5'' bald serial killer type for the next one?
-Proverb

Holy cow. That's fucking groovy.
I am SO going to do his workshop. The 'Noon is a genius.
Amazing, amazing, amazing.
What was the process like?
N.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:43 pm 
Lapdog

OK, I've seen this 3 times, and I definitely do not buy the Brain not being real theory. However, thinking about it more, I do think that he was working with Laura. Maybe Brain was the true puppet master, the Pin behind the Pin if you will, and he was trying to clean house. He had Emily killed, knowing that her death could easily lead Brendan to the Pin and Tug, and that the shit that happened would happen. His accomplice, Laura. Brain knew she could keep an eye on Brendan and let him what was going down, hence Brain always insiting on trusting her. However, Brain decided that he no longer needed Laura, and screwed her over. Laura knew about this, and having nothing to lose on the football field, told Brendan. That was the whisper. Brain starting to feel a bit nervous, asked Brendan what she said. Brendan, not wanting to let Brain know that he was on to him just yet, told him "She called me a dirty word". Then, Brendan told Brain to go home and get some sleep, because he wanted to tail him and see where he was really going. We have our Verbal Kint.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:41 pm 
Hash Head

Well that is a cool way of looking at it. The thing is, I don't see enough connection between Brain and Laura other then when she goes looking for Brendan through him. That's really the only time he mentions her to Brendan, saying "Have you told her to stay clear of me?" They never have a meeting throughout the whole movie and Laura never talks about Brain, not once.

Last edited by Turner on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:43 pm 
Lapdog

Turner wrote:
Well that is a cool way of looking at it. The thing is, I don't see enough connection between Brain and Laura other than when she goes looking for Brendan through him. That's really the only time he mentions her to Brendan. They never have a meeting throughout the whole movie and Laura never talks about him, not once.

That's why Brain is a silent partner (sorry if I didn't write that earlier)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:44 pm 
Hash Head

Yea I was just writing my thoughts about yours. It's really cool though. I wouldn't have looked at it like that by myself, but I can see where you're coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:00 pm 
Lapdog

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk, sometimes I just don't know how to defend my theories. I'm not that uptight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:13 pm 
Shamus

Sounds like a good theory, but I can't see it. I can't help but feel it would have been hinted at more and/or Brendan would have figured it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:09 am 
Shamus

dompad -- your theory is well executed and you back it up well.

Yet somehow.. I just really believe that Brenden would have figured it out. Even still, it's very interesting to think about.

Also, did anyone else notice that everytime someone in the movie says "get some sleep" or the like, it came at the end of a situation, or a seemingly major conclusion..? Just another shot of the wonderful lingo in this movie.

Or am I looking too much into it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 am 
Lapdog

hugh wrote:
I think Brain is a real character. However I believe the brain is metaphorical for brendan's rational/logical side and brendan is passion/emotion in his pursuit of Em. This metaphor only works specifically in their conversations; as in, they are both separate characters, when not in the room together, performing tasks independently. When in the room together they take on these rational/logical and emotional roles.

I didn't read all of the posts, but I read enough of it, and I agree.

I think the Brain is a real character, but he's also a literary tool. I think only with the advent of post-modern films did we start to question the legitimacy of whether a character is real or not. There are so many movies like Fight Club, Identity, Secret Window, etc. However, I feel like Brick is in a genre of films that predates these kinds of films, where when you have a character it is used as a literary tool rather than a plot technique.

For example, look at a book like Crime and Punishment. Most of those characters are foils of Raskolnikov, but they are definitely real characters in the book. Or look through any good book, real characters used to explain the main character, but they certainly are real.

And of course the shots of the Brain and the his name even does heavily suggest that he's a metaphor for that other side of Brendan (no doubt about that), but I would like to think that metaphors can be real characters as they are in books. And that at the core of Brick is a great script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:00 pm 
Hash Head

You did sound like a jerk at all. I was just saying. But yea, I agree with BuddhaDave, that it would've hinted more at Brendan figuring a relationship between Laura and Brian out. But, once again, I really like the thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:26 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I don't think the theory quite works. The explanations for a number of things seem to be stretching it too far. Cartainly though, Brain's role is interesting.

I rather liked the post that pointed out that while Brain was never factually wrong, his hunches were never right. In some sense, he's Brendan's opposite - "But you're thick," "Yes I am," and Brendan's hunches being true.

Of course you can interpret that as an internal argument, but it's too much. I prefer to think of Brain as a real charactor, who is treated badly by Brenden, an old friend who was ignored until he was needed, "It's been a while".

Proverb wrote:
That's right, I am Tyler Durden.

Anonymous wrote:
Maybe he's the Verbal Kint of the film.

Jaysus gents, I hope no one here hasn't seen the best twist endings in film yet, or this thread will be a real soul destroyer!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:04 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Um hello everyone,
just saw the movie for the first time last night and enjoyed it in the same way as I loved Donnie Darko and Mulholland Drive. I guess some of us love to see that the Rubik's cube only has 5 sides after all. I was very much struck by the image of Brain appearing / reappearing from behind Brendan's head in the final scenes and came to the same conclusion that they were indeed one. However, this was mostly obvious after the earlier scene at the tunnel with Pin / Dode / Tug where the camera moves to purposefully obscure Tug when Dode is threatening ("closer than you think") to turn one of them in. I have only seen the movie once and I don't think I would like to try and figure out where Brendan / Tug coincide / interact throughout the movie without another viewing however it immediately suggested to me different aspects of Brendan that he needed to keep separate to himself in order to doggedly / single-mindedly pursue his goal. Therefore I think Brain is the aspect that constantly ruminates, plots and strategizes as Brendan moves silently through the scenery; Tug is Brendan's rage (note that Tug seems to be the only one who overpowers Brendan - Brendan allowing his rage to rise and take over??); I think the school VP even represents Brendan's adult or sensible aspect advising him what is best for him. I cannot view this movie any other way at the moment as this theory in some way helps make sense of Kara and the amateur dramatic society which again for me reinforces the themes of acting different parts and presenting different faces and Brendan's point blank refusal to simplify himself to just one role or a bit player like all around him.
Don't even get me started on the colour scheme in the movie, I do have to leave the house sometime later this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:26 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

thary wrote:
For example, look at a book like Crime and Punishment. Most of those characters are foils of Raskolnikov, but they are definitely real characters in the book. Or look through any good book, real characters used to explain the main character, but they certainly are real.

I was thinking Shakespeare, where everybody is a foil for someone else and the personification of a specific angle of a theme.

I sometimes think of what future historians will say of us. A single sentence will suffice for modern man: he fornicated and read the papers. After that vigorous definition, the subject will be, if I may say so, exhausted.
- Camus

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next