Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:27 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

OK. here goes:

i am going to take the "brain is brendan" theory a step further--to a more abstract level. in my mind, "brick" is always working on two levels. there is a "reality" and a "surreality" (i'm making that a word). you can read the movie as just reality and it works fine. or you can start reading into the movie and seeing the entire thing as something surreal--a figment of brendan's "brain"/mind/whatever.

the only "reality," as far as i see it, is that brendan is a guy who goes to high school. i think we can probably gather that he did have a girlfriend and that they broke up. now--i may be reading way too much into this--my take on the movie was that brendan/his brain created this crazy noir scenario to help explain/come to terms with her "disappearance" from his life. the "reality" is that she is not dead or has even "actually" disappeared. but when you are in high school, somebody moving to a different crowd and out of your life can be as earth-shattering and real as an actual disappearance/death.

i think the "surreality" helps explain the odd hard-boiled dialogue. it also helps explain how high school kids can be getting orange juice from somebody's mom one minute, and duking it out in her basement the next minute. this is not a realistic scenario. it exists in a surreal space.

so, i'm throwing this out there. i way be way off, but i was wondering if anyone else thinks there is potential here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:07 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

piehouserat wrote:
Holy cow. That's fucking groovy.
I am SO going to do his workshop. The 'Noon is a genius.
Amazing, amazing, amazing.
What was the process like?
N.

Hey Noah,

Sorry - getting to this 20 days later - It's killer that someone of Brick fame is down with the Noon.

He believes that all of his characters are himself, which sounds simple enough. But it gets interesting when he describes what his process actually is, which is somewhat unrelated to the character he's playing. Rather than spending time exploring the character's psychology, he spends that time just trying to get to who he is. Tom beleives that there's all kinds of BS that gets in the way of being honest - blocks, defenses, stuff that affects your ability to respond openly to things. By getting rid of it, most of it just a kind of social ettiquette based largely on fear, you can inhabit a character not by becoming the character, but by responding to what the character experiences as yourself.

What then makes the performance interesting is that your response is honest - because your guards are down, you're actually behaving, not blocking, and because you're incountering the characters world as yourself, there's a constant dissonance between the stock version of that character and the version you're portraying, which is full of an actual personality, your own.

The way he puts it is kind of cool and existential; bad acting has very little to do with playing a character; it's actually just the inability to be yourself. You have to be able to feel something as yourself, and act as yourself; which is the real struggle. If you can do that you dont need to be able to act as another. If you are 'compelling present' as yourself, than you're more interesting to watch than the character you're playing.

Ironically, everyone will then be impressed by how much you embodied that character and that other life on screen.

-Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:20 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

The Brain Theory - First Support
Brain enters the movie after Alot of new elements enter Brendans day. Emilys phone call that starts off soft and very slow then elevates to the point she panics and jets. Leaving a good amount of unanswered questions to think about. (So he calls upon Brain)

The Brain Theory - Deny
Emily tells Brendan she forgot or misplaced his Locker number and had to ask Brain. Now Brendan in the next scean asks Brain if he gave Emily the # to witch he said yes he did, was that wrong?... Now if Brendan never asked Brain about it, Emily could have been doing the same thing Brendan does and used her own "Brain" to remember/get the number.

The Brain Theory - "Midnight note"
After Brendan takes the notepad with the Midnight note. He flips thought it and the note falls before it hits the ground he catchs it and bring it up as he look at it. The next clip molds in the scean with a close up of the note, you then realize now Brain is looking at the note in the same hand none the less.

The Brain Theory - "Reaction"
Throughout the whole film Brain never shows strong emotion. A good example of this is in the library when Brandan tells Brain "Shes gone" Brain asks "Can't rase her?" he replys "No" sadly with his head down. The brain hardly reacts just asks "So what now?".

The Brain Theory - "Connected"
Everytime Brandan is on the phone with Brain the shot is always them already connected, no shots of eather one dialing/phone ringing/ or picking the phone up.... But every time someone else calls the phone rings.....When Emily calls in the start of the film and also when Dode calls towards the end the phone rings clearly showing the calls are incoming. Given the amount of times Brandan and Brain talk on the phone there would be one shot of eather dialing in unless the connection between them is an "internal line".

Now im not sure if this was ever talked about or said yet but here is something I came up with....

"The Rubix cube"

The Rubix cube is a puzzle, one that uses your mind "Brain" and your actions "Brendan". Think, Turn, Think, Turn. Its a relationship that both the mind and body is needed to solve and end it. The puzzel ends when the colors match and there the puzzle is solved in the end.

"Behind the mask"

Another well done part of the movie witch im sure a few people picked up on is when Brendan calls Laura after he sets the Invitations with the mask up right, every time laura speaks it gose to a shot of the mask making it act as if the mask is Laura and Brendan is talking to the Invitation.

"Stop the music"
Not that complex, but the second Brendan takes the straw out of the hashheads hands the music stops. You can assume the other hash heads in there chemical induced state the straw was more then just a sound but music to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:35 am 
Drama Vamp

I believe, though, there was one scene where Brendan was dialing the Brain, right before the Pinivan picked him up...

-Freakonomics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:18 am 
Shamus

No, he was talking to him, and he hung up when the Pinivan arrived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:44 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

pretty intresting right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:20 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Well, I would enjoy getting involved in this debate...but I fear I'd miss too much work because of it. I have, in fact, read every post in this entire thread. In a row. In one sitting. Twice.

Anywho. I always felt there was more, much more, with the character of Brain. Just a feeling I had the entire film. However, in the spirit of time and free debate (any my laziness) I'd like to just throw out something that it doesn't appear anyone else has mentioned.

There is a part in the film, I believe it was after Brenden hangs up with the AVP that he actually points out that he and Brain shouldn't have "met in the open" or something along those lines. I've only seen it once, and the Polk Theater in Lakeland has a bad echo, so I wasn't able to memorize the entire movie...yet.

On the surface, it seems like Brenden simply did not want anyone to know he was working with The Brain, for it could interupt his flow of information. However, given the theories here I just thought I would toss this situation/comment to you all to incorporate into your theories. If you want, that is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:08 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

The Brain Theory lives on!

I was taken off the case by a hot-headed police chief and a personal penchant for asking questions MY WAY. (incidentally, I’m the one on the right.)

But I'm back.

Please click on the link below for the new wave of state's evidence.

THE BRAIN THEORY IN PICTURES

-Proverb

Post subject: crazy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:35 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

what i find completely ridiculous is how people no longer just watch movies. they always want to try and put a different spin on things. why can't we just watch a movie for what it is, not what it could be or might be. I've heard a lot of complaining from a lot of well known directors about this subject. quit trying to make a movie different from whats on the screen. just watch it for what it is.

yeah, the whole 'brain/brenden theory' is cool, but that's not said to be true or not true. as i recall, Rian said he was glad that someone caught the effect of the brain walking out of brenden's head in the last scene, he didn't say 'hey! you got it! you're right there is this 'fight club' duality to the movie', maybe all it was was a neat camera trick. nothing more. why does there have to be this huge conspiracy theory going on?

it's fun and cool to speculate, but don't take it too far. the director hasn't said yes or no to this theory at all. it could go either way. and as for him being an 'amazing writer' because people talk about this so much, is just bull (not cops). true Rian has an incredible talent for writing and directing, but all he did was make a (sweet) movie that is vague enough for people to twist things and insert their own ideas. all he did was leave out details. that's what makes it a mystery movie.

and what's the point of having the theory in the movie if it was made like that. yeah it's neat... but it's now cliche, done before. and if the brain/brenden theory is true, why not tell us so? at the end of fight club, and other movies, you finally realize what's going on. they show you that the person has multiple personalities or what have you. but in Brick if the theory is true, the film ends with no one the wiser really. and that would be kinda a big thing that the writer/director would want people to know. i mean if your gonna go through the trouble and make a movie around the brain/brenden thing, why not show it? it would seem really lame not to. i mean a lot of effort goes into making a movie.

all i got to say is just watch the movie for what's on the screen. not what's in your head or what you want it to be or what it could have been or might be. just watch the movie and enjoy. watch, enjoy, and love. ^_^

Brick is an amazing movie. i like it. i like it ah lawt!

p.s. i wrote this in frustration after reading like 4 pages of posts. then i realized that i should have read everything b4 writing. oops. hindsight. well i put too much time in this to just delet it now... so bring on the hate mail :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:55 pm 
Shamus

:?

I understand your frustration, but I don't see the point in ranting about it. Just don't read the thread.

That being said, welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:09 am 
Drama Vamp

Shamus:

It's true that some people on this board (myself included) may have overanalyzed a thing or two here or there. But all good cinema makes you think of new interpretations of things after you have left the theater, among other things, making you want to see the story again. The beauty of Brick is that Rian had such a long time to plan all of the details out very richly, and therefore there are a couple of different themes in the movie, not just one. The Brain/Brendan thing is just one of them. I believe, at the end of the day, that they are two people, but the connection they have says a lot about each's character, and by extension the world they inhabit, and therefore by extension the story itself. Some people may have gone a little too far, but that is surely better than if they hadn't analyzed it at all.

Matt

-Freakonomics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I apologize if what I say has already been said. I only recently spotted this film and could only make it through about three pages of posts on this topic ("yes he is" "no he isn't" over and over and over) before I needed to say my piece. People keep bringing up Fight Club as their parallel (or near-parallel) to Brain being merely an aspect of Brendan's personality or a figment of his imagination or some other spin on this same idea. What they seem to be missing is the why. Having studied Fight Club and Chuck Palahniuk's other works in great detail for a thesis that never got written (there's a story here I swear), I have come to understand the WHY of Tyler Durden's multiple personalities. First, as a slight tangent, it can be noted that many people theorize that Marla was also a figment of Tyler(or Jack)'s imagination. Not so in the movie, I know, but the book makes it much more likely. Secondly, Fight Club falls into a category I've labeled Millenial Realism. As American Postmodernism keeps gasping out its last breaths, a handful of brave authors have dared to birth a new movement going back to Realism with more Deconstructionist undertones. Jack (the working name for the Ed Norton character in Fight Club), does not have a name in the book because he is not true or real to what a person should be. He needs to be deconstructed into his psychic energies (id, ego, superego....more evidence for their being a second imaginary friend?) in order to "hit rock bottom" or discover the truth about who he really is. The book can be read either as a warning against the type of id-driven Luddite rebellion that Tyler Durden preaches or a scream from one of the few men brave enough to scream it that Postmodernism and Postmodern society have become bloated and fraud and need salvation through deconstruction until we can find something Real.

My point as it relates to Brick. Perhaps The Brain is a figment of Brendan's imagination or perhaps he is a projection of certain aspects of Brendan's character that he needs to repress for the sake of revenge. But the why is still hanging there. To say that it's in there just to twist your mind or give you something to think about doesn't really cut it for me in what was otherwise a very well-planned and orchestrated film. While Rian does, either consciously or unconsciously because of the literary movements swirling through the ether, dose the film with lit theory from this border period between Postmodernism and Millenial Realism, he seems to land more on the Postmodern side. The film rings more of Michael Chabon than it does of John Ridley.

People are still arguing about whether or not you can synch up The Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon. Not nearly enough people ask what it would mean if the synching works. Here, there doesn't seem to be too much added if you believe that The Brain isn't real. He's the Alfred to Brendan's Bruce Wayne, the Kit to Brendan's Michael Knight (sorry, I've been watching too much Knight Rider recently). It's not that other people can't see him, it's just that they don't see him because they don't need to.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

~dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:03 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

No, no no! Brendan is a figment of the Brain's imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:10 pm 
Drama Vamp

Interesting thoughts, Dave.

While I think on one level the Brain is, as the posters introduce him, a foil, I agree it makes sense that there is an additional why, and I'm sure Rian planned it out very carefully. I forget where, but I think this might have been discussed in a few places.

Matt

-Freakonomics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am 
The Pin's Mom

Man, you kids kill me. This is all very interesting, but I never would have thought of it myself.

I swear, I must be the last person in the world who just watches a film or reads a book and just enjoys it, without picking it apart with wild speculation.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next