Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 911 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:38 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Read this thread after finally getting to see this, and just wanted to add a couple things. Might be a few steps back, but oh well.

Brain's only verified contact was Emily. Anybody else that "talked to brain", we heard that FROM brain. "So and so told me she wants to meet with you" could certainly really mean "So and so slipped a note in my (Brendan's) locker" or "So and so left a message on my answering machine" or whatever.

And Emily can be "explained" (not the best word, since it still involves taking liberties) by the fact that she was the only person who was close to him--the only person who was really connected to him, emotionally, spiritually, etc. If anybody should be capable of (or at least be portrayed as) "talking to the metaphor", it would be her. This also fits in well with whomever it was that said that Brendan's instinstance that Brain not get remotely involved in Laura really meant that Brendon doesn't want her getting her manipulative claws into his psyche.

On the other hand, for the absolutely literal view, I've heard the shot where Brain seems to be coming out of Brendan's head as a big clue pointing to this theory. I'm not saying it isn't, but "keep in mind" (haha, sorry) that the character's name *is* "Brain", so it would be a fully appropriate intentional shot even on a completely literal level.

And for the record, I go with the "He's a literal guy but can be used as a metaphor" crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:33 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

A third character enters the fray. I see 3 characters that represent the Mind, Body and Soul/Heart of Brendan.

When Brendan tells Brain that Laura called him a "dirty word" and Brain responds something like "ok you don't have to tell me" shows how Brendan keeps Brain out of his emotional affairs. He tells Brain that he doesn't care what the trouble is, but just wants to see Emily ok is a very unspecific statement that rids the explanation of most of it's emotional involvement. Brendan's conversations with Brain (at least to my memory) are strictly business and unspecific in their relation to their meaning to Brendan.

Brain is the Mind.

The action is started because of Brendan's emotions for Emily and throughout the movie Brendan's emotions combined with his logic lead him to his actoins. He admits that he need's Brain.

Brendan is the heart/soul of the body.

Finally the body. Tug. Tug is refered to as muscle (and i know what the term means) but it is Tug and his gang who, in the end, fight the Pin and take his drug ring down. The part about tug killing emily and dode... I don't believe that Brendan ever wanted Emily hurt (and it's the reaosn he becomes involved) but emotionally, he was devestated. I don't think Brendan would kill anyone but I could see wh yhe wouldn't mind, or at leats wouldn't lose too much sleep over Dode. (no offense dode, your the man). Also Tug is pissed a the Pin for the way he's being treated and basically helps Brendan pull off his plan. To conclude, when Brendan falls over right after Dode was shot, Tug is the one who carries him to saftey. It would have been easy enough for Tug to wipe the gun and place it in brendan's hand. The Bulls wouldn't have had a problem pinning Dode's murder on a boy who had the gun in his hand 10 feet from the murder.

Tug is the body.

I pitched my tent in the "they are real characters but metaphors as well" camp and I've started a bonfire and a Koom Buy Ya sing along.

See also: Last thing you'll ever hear

Post subject: Tug
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:26 pm 
Hash Head

Well...Tug as body is interesting but...That would mean if Tug is "Brendan's" body then well Brendan's body (Tug) killed Em...I dunno but Brendan would never kill Em or "hurt" her. I dunno if Tug can really be likened to Brendan the way Brain can be. I mean if Tug is Brendan's Body then the whole Movie becomes fight club considering how much Tug hits Brendan. And Brick definetaly is not fight club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:42 pm 
Shamus

That's a good point and the main reason I believe Brain and Brendan are seperate people.

I love this movie to death (even thinking about a tattoo) but it just isn't Fight Club. This isn't a quality thing, its a type or genre thing.

If the Devil came down from Georgia and said, "Fight Club or Brick forever! Muahahahah!" I'd go with Brick in a second. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:05 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hi, just saw the moive last night, loved it so much when i went back home and went to read up as much as possible about it and found this great forum (thanks goes to wiki ).

This thread is great and though i didn't pick on the Brain theory. I think i can add some thing to the disscussion.

On the Brain or Lara phoning the "bulls" could it not have been Brendan informing the police in advance? as we all know hes waiting and stalling as much time as possible for 4:15.
If the brain called at that time surely it would take more time for the police to arrive.
As Brenden would be the informer he would not worry about being arrested at the scene of the crime (body in trunk) and that the police knows hes been one (or at lest the asst VP does).
Though i can't remember the dialogue does brendan tell Brain to call the police "for 4:15" or "at 4:15" ?
my 2 cents or pennies as we have over here

Post subject: Extended
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:13 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I just saw Brick last night and I think I thought too much (as I tend to do with movies) to appreciate the pure plot...however, it did force me to notice ideas and theories about the movie. I questioned the Brain throughout, and immediately started developing theories (so eloquently written out in this board) when he essentially came out of Brendan's head at the end. He seems to walk right back into it as well.

I was wondering, though, what you all think about the idea that in some ways each of the characters represent a different aspect of Brendan himself, specifically all the ones that are in love with or obsessed with Emily. I don't really have any clear proofs or examples, but just like Brain is the purely intellectual side, Tuggs is the purely violent, animalistic side. Even Dode - he's the purely stoned side of Brendan! The scene where they are all in the tunnel seemed highly significant to this theory - not really sure why, just felt the blocking was strong. I don't really think it's literal (like Tyler Durden) like an actual way to understand the plot, but it's an interesting way of looking at the character.

I'm not really sure if this makes any sense and I'm very poor at collecting my thoughts enough to put them into words, but please help me either by completely dismissing this theory or making it understandable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:15 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hey posi-mike,

Great comment on behavior - the pacing is such an implicit part of Brendan's character that I never thought to consider the connection to the Brain Theory.

Keep it up,

Proverb

posi_mike wrote:
There's some great points in here so far.

I saw brick for the first time last night (fantastic fucking film by the way). And I thought while I was watching it "why does brendan always pace back and forth as the brain tells him things?" it just seemed a bit odd. The kind of thing detectives did in cartoons when they were pondering. After reading this thread it really furthers the idea that brain is somehow part of brendans psyche. He goes to the back of the school, where its quiet and noone else is about, and paces back and forth til he creates himself a plan of sorts. Brain is like a manifestation of his thought process. Like you or me talking to ourselves in our head, but obviously for the purpose of the film a stylish mentor character works even better (brain is probably my favourite character in this too, there's an iconic quality to him).

anyway I've gushed enough for now!

I'm lucky enough that this film is on for the next 3 weeks at the independent cinema just down my road! Unfortunately I'm as poor as a church mouse but all the same I need to see it in a cinema environment a few more times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:31 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

hugh,

great post -

great way to look at Laura's connection to Brain through the theory - so much of her relationship to Brendan involves how much she is or isn't getting to him.

if we look at it this way we can actually gauge her effect on Brendan not just by his reactions to her but also by when and how much she speaks to brain. She doesn't speak to Brain around the time she and Brendan hook up because arguably, something other than Brendan's brain takes over.

In a much belated response to Noah: Em requesting Brendan's locker combo from Brain can be explained in a similar way. Brian telling Brendan about Em's request is just Brendan using his brain to remember that he had himself given his locker combo to Em at a previous point. Hence, Em's note.

-Proverb

hugh wrote:
Also; the Lara discovering the brendan-brain connection speaks to both the metaphorical brain and lara's ability.

1) Her getting to brendan's brain as an example of how close she is to getting brendan under her thumb,

2) Her discovering the person brain as an example of how she knows and can find out about everyone (not even teh Pin seems to have a knowledge of Brain).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:45 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Word.

secretions wrote:
Read this thread after finally getting to see this, and just wanted to add a couple things. Might be a few steps back, but oh well.

Brain's only verified contact was Emily. Anybody else that "talked to brain", we heard that FROM brain. "So and so told me she wants to meet with you" could certainly really mean "So and so slipped a note in my (Brendan's) locker" or "So and so left a message on my answering machine" or whatever.

And Emily can be "explained" (not the best word, since it still involves taking liberties) by the fact that she was the only person who was close to him--the only person who was really connected to him, emotionally, spiritually, etc. If anybody should be capable of (or at least be portrayed as) "talking to the metaphor", it would be her. This also fits in well with whomever it was that said that Brendan's instinstance that Brain not get remotely involved in Laura really meant that Brendon doesn't want her getting her manipulative claws into his psyche.

On the other hand, for the absolutely literal view, I've heard the shot where Brain seems to be coming out of Brendan's head as a big clue pointing to this theory. I'm not saying it isn't, but "keep in mind" (haha, sorry) that the character's name *is* "Brain", so it would be a fully appropriate intentional shot even on a completely literal level.

And for the record, I go with the "He's a literal guy but can be used as a metaphor" crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:52 am 
Hash Head

I too am with the literal guy who can be used as a metaphore crowd, though I think its a great agrument. I noticed (as I'm sure that you all did) that all meetings with Brain took place at the same spot and followed pretty much the same routine of Brendan paceing the wall until he has got enough. This is very much like the old PI returning to the office for help. The Brain Theory puts me in mind of the classic situations of a PI monologing to himself, or in the case of this theory, Brain. I think that the hunch part of the theory is the only one that explains fully parts about Brendan being fed information that he didnt already know.

Also an idea that I got from the post about mind, body and soul. Not sure if this has been mensioned before but the relationship between the Brain and Brendan is mirrored in the relationship between the Pin and Tug. The Brain and the Pin are both the stationary on lookers. They percieve the workd and feed information into there actors - Brendan and Tug. Granted Brendan has A LOT more initiative than Tug but I still think its a nice copntrast. This means that the Brain doesnt need to be part of the body (including Brendan in this case) and still affect it. In the case of the Pin and Tug it also shows that the body (Tug) is more powerful than the brain (the Pin) an so can subdue it when it needs to. Could this not be Brendan and the Brain also? Whether the Brain is real or not, the body (Brendan) stil controls the Brain (the Brain :)) and in keeing him out of certain things(what did she say) it exercises his control. The Pin/Tug relationship was destroyed when it came into conflict. If the Brain is Brendan then a conflict would destroy him similaly, but of cause in an emotional way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:20 am 
Upper Crust

NShanks wrote:
I noticed (as I'm sure that you all did) that all meetings with Brain took place at the same spot and followed pretty much the same routine of Brendan paceing the wall until he has got enough.

Gotta disagree there. First meeting's at the band room, the second is in the library, the third is alongside the library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:07 am 
Hash Head

Your right there. Forgot the librbary. My idea of cause has no effect on the phone calls either. Floored at best :P

What do you think about the structures of the Brain/Brendan and the Pin/Tug part? My frined strongly disagrees saying that the Pin was always in control or Tug, even though he said he was losing control and was actually whooped by him at the end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:58 am 
Upper Crust

I don't see Brain/Brendan as anything more complicated than Reason/Emotion. Pin/Tug can just as easily be interpreted as Brains/Brawn.

This breaks down a little since we are entirely certain that Tug and the Pin are separate people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 pm 
Drama Vamp

I have to add that I also see Tug as almost strictly a reactive character, rather than being proactive like Brendan and the Pin. The pin is the one who has initiative (even if he himself is physically weak), like Brendan, and, to a certain extent, even the Brain. So I'm not sure there's that much parallelism between the two relationships.

This doesn't mean that Tug doens't have character. He does have some complexity to him, but of the four, he is the only one who is not trying to actively modify the environment around him. He just keeps running to stay in the same place. This puts him into the same category, generally, as Emily, Dode, the Pin's Mom and the AVP. Whereas Brendan, the Pin, the Brain, Kara and Laura are the 'movers and shakers,' if you will. The former generally just want to protect the status quo or their place within the status quo. The latter group are trying to change the status quo, or actively improve their position within it. Brendan's "status quo" comment notwithstanding.

Actually, Brendan is, in my opinion, the most interesting here, because he is the only one who seems to make a transition from one group to another group. In the 'beginning,' he was content to just be in love with Emily and make a little bit of quick and dirty cash on the side with Jerr. Nothing earth-changing. But when that comfortable little world comes apart (and especially as Brendan realizes that all was never really well to begin with), he decides that the status quo is evil and corrupt, and takes it upon himself to set it straight as best he can.

Matt

-Freakonomics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:46 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Anyone who might ponder what Brendan's monologues could have looked like without the Brain should re-checkout Michael Mann's Manhunter.

William L. Petersen theorizes to himself out loud throughout half the movie - it's detective ‘monologuing’ at its campy pop pastiche best.

-Proverb

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 911 Next