Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:10 pm 
Hash Head

The first scene at Sarmentosa and Del Rio where Tugg's car drives by with (as we later discover) Laura driving and The Pin sitting shotgun, Laura flicks her cigarrette out of the window. However after 4 viewings if I remember correctly (gotta see it agan to double check) The cigarrette and the hand that flicks the Cigarrette out is actually on the passenger's side of the car. The major reason I seem to remember this is because the ciggarrette lands on Brendan's side of the street which therefore implies that Laura is in the passengers seat and flicked it out the passenger's window. The further implication is the fact that Laura is in both Shotgun and Driving in Brendan's version of the story. This doesn't add up. This could be reconciled if she was driving alone because then it wouldn't seem to be a big deal to flick your cigarrette outside of the passenger's seat window especially if your right handed. However the Pin is supposed to be sitting there and if he is then There is no way Laura would flick her cig out of the passenger's side window it would be too disrespectful/might dirty the Pin's impeccable dress. Now what if the Pin wasn't there and Brendan's assumption is wrong. Even though as stated above it wouldn't be a big deal, it's just unatural to chuck your cigarrette out of the passenger's side seat becasue one might ash on the passenger's seat and you wouldn't want to piss Tugg off by hurting his car. Therefore if you were the driver smoking you would ash/toss your butt out of the driver''s side window. Therefore I think Brendan gets it right in the sense he figures out the person culpable, Laura by connecting the cigarrette to the right person, but gets some of the facts wrong in this case who is sitting where. Other than leading to questions of why or how he could be wrong this leaves only one solution Laura has to be in the passenger's seat and someone else has to be driving. I think it has to be Tugg because thats the only other person who would drive Laura and the Pin around but also becasue he is hunting Em at this point for the Pin and is the other person Em would be as afraid of as Em is of Laura. Thats the long and short of it unless I'm totally off about where the cigarrette is flicked from. Anway any other ideas of who is really riding shotgun/driving? Theories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:28 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

i think she flicked it out of the moonroof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:29 pm 
Hash Head

I noticed that too, and I've been wondering if Laura was really in the passenger seat instead. The cig did end up on Brendan's side when it was flicked out of the window. Unless the Pin smokes and Laura gave him one of her cigs, which he flicked out of the window and Laura was still driving.

And got what I wanted all along

Post subject: answer?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:10 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

This is from Rian's post of the last dialogue:

http://www.rcjohnso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315

----
BRENDAN
You frame her for the bad brick, then you cut her loose. You turn on your heel and bite her in the throat. Last week on the payphone, Pico and Alexander, she saw something she was scared of. Tug’s car driving by, the Pin driving, but she wouldn’t have seen the Pin. No, she was across the street, angel. She saw the passenger side. She saw you. She saw you and ran like she saw some devil.
----

I think the 'Pico and Alexander' got changed to the streets they ended up using...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:15 pm 
Ass. V.P.

The Pin does indeed smoke. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:24 pm 
Hash Head

But wasn't Brendan on the passenger side? I thought Emily was across the street at a payphone, and if that was so then she would be facing the driver's side. I'm so confused right now. I think I just ate myself stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Location: The shadowy corner in which what is perceived as real and what simply cannot be co-exist.
There are two streets to an intersection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:02 pm 
Hash Head

Ann Onymous wrote:
There are two streets to an intersection.

Ha forgot it was an intersection, that and my brain is on neurobiology at the moment so everything else is kind of a mush.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:18 pm 
Does anyone find it weird that The Pin is driving with Laura as a passenger? I mean first off The Pin seems like the kind of person who doesn't drive himself around, he always gets someone else to drive him where ever he's going. Second, it seems like Laura is always driving people (mainly Brendan) around, it seems like the positions should have been switched. Laura is almost always the driver and the Pin is almost always a passenger. For some reason having The Pin driving Laura around just doesn't feel right.

And I'm not trying to belittle this movie or anything. Brick is the best movie I've seen in quite awhile, I was just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm 
Ass. V.P.

I think you're absolutely right, Proryder. I can't imagine the Pin driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:09 pm 
Shamus

I can imagine him driving perfectly.... I call it 'Brick Kart,' a new racing video-game featuring all the characters from Rians film but all in quirky and somewhat cute disproportions. Each character has a specific kart tailored to his role in the movie and you can even unlock SeCrEt characters and items!

Ummm... did I take tha too far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:59 pm 
Upper Crust

It's taking every ounce of restraint I have to stop me from opening Photoshop and making that happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:24 am 
Hash Head

I swear Brendan says in the movie that the Pin is riding shotgun, and he says Em saw the drivers side and saw Laura XD.................Am I crazy??????? I just saw the movie for the fifth time to try and get this straight......and I swear that is what Brendan says OR AM I INSANE ahahahahahahahahaha. OMG :shock: Jesus now i have to see it again LOL. And from Rian's statement that the Pin smokes....would mean that Brendan is right, it's Laura driving Pin shotgun and the pin smoking one of Laura's cigs. which makes sense 'cause trying to figure some way for the cigarrette to fly from the drivers side and drift over to the passenger's side and therefore at Brendan's feet was irking me. I NEEED THE DVD NOWWWWW ARGH!!!! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:43 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Maybe the whole driving thing is kind of a metaphor for who is in control? Pardon me if I'm typing out some blasphemy, and certainly correct me if I'm wrong (I have, afterall, only seen the film once, which is, in and of itself, some type of heinous crime, I'm told), but there quite a few memorable scenes where a car and its driver are somewhat pivotal.

Most notable in my mind is the scene where Brendan is coughing up blood and Laura offers to drive him somewhere and he sort of delusionally refuses for some time. I can't bring up the details of this scene (where she offered to take him, where they ended up going, why he refused -- some pretty major details, so if you happen to recall and it totally messes up my half-baked theory here, please mention it), but assuming they (the details, that is) fit, it does seem like part of his hesitancy to accept her offer is prompted by the idea that he would be out of control and, as he is already rather physically vulnerable, he's just totally put off by the idea.

Or! Or what about the parking lot scene with Tug and Brendan, or the scene where Brendan is thrown in and out of the Pin's van? Both of them revolve to a certain extent around who is in control; the former, I think, might end with Tug kind of relinquishing some of his control, but man, I really need to see the film again, so I'm going to shut up right here before I start assuming some pretty big things.

The point is, maybe although the idea of the Pin driving strikes us as kind of odd, it's just there to suggest that it is the Pin who is in control (of Tug and of Laura) at this moment in the story.

Post subject: cool idea
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:52 am 
Hash Head

The metaphor is certainly a cool idea but the reason I think what definitively takes the Pin out of the driver's seat other than the fact there is no point in the movie where he is ever driving, rather he is being driven by someone else, but he's got that F-uped foot. He has to have a cane to walk if he can actually apply unassisted downward pressuer with that clodhopper to put the pedal to the metal they would go at the fastest 5 mph and they definetaly drive by pretty fast in that scene.