Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: brendan's explanation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:26 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

saw the film last night at BAM and i loved it loved it loved it. the dialogue is so rich and wonderful, and the emotion of heightend adolescent life is perfectly captured. bravo!

are there any plans to publish the script, or any other supplemental materials? also, what, if any, are the dvd plans? i can see that this movie would be perfect for an immersive dvd with multiple commentaries, theories, etc. also, i'd love to see it again, especially if there was going to be a discussion/q&a session afterwards.

my real question (and i guess i'm feeling demanding this morning...) is...can you post brendan's last scene with brain and laura? i'm pretty sure that i connected all the dots, but i'd love to go through it all again.

thanks again for making such a wonderful film.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:22 pm 
in my mind, the last scene of BRICK was fantastic. You always hope for a great payoff at the end, and this had it. As the denouement zenithed, you have, what I consider at least, one of the greatest cinematic 'fu's of all time. What I refer to is Laura's exposure, that after all this misdirection, she was really carrying Brendan's child. Poignant because she says, paraphrased because I have only seen the film once ,"I was going to drive her to the doctor (abortion clinic) because she said she couldn't keep the child because she didn't love the father" (knowing she had been through two relationships since Brendan but that she was 'starting to show' because it had been '3 months'. Therefor Brendan's child. That was Laura's final FU when she knew he had sold her out as one of the fall guys.
My ? is what are the other classic cinematic FUs out there. Immediately I think of Dennis Hopper telling Christopher Walken that Sicilians are decendants of the Moors in TRUE ROMANCE.....
and I think they are neck and neck... anyone care to add?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:07 am 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks! The DVD should have some fun stuff on it - not fully loaded, but a couple cool things.

And now... don't tell Focus I posted this, but... :twisted:

LAURA
Did you see it all? With Tug and the Pin?

Brendan looks at her a moment.

BRENDAN
No. I took your advice and didn’t go.

LAURA
No?

BRENDAN
What happened?

Laura looks at him strangely, a little uneasy.

LAURA
The papers say six dead, three around the house, one girl in the trunk of Tug’s car, and the Pin and Tug.

BRENDAN
Yeah?

LAURA
Tug tried to shoot his way out when the police got there. They tied him to Dode, too. Same gun. And the girl.

BRENDAN
Huh.

LAURA
Well good thing you weren’t there.

BRENDAN
Yeah.

LAURA
You think the girl was Emily?

BRENDAN
Probably.

LAURA
You loved her.

BRENDAN
Yeah I did.

LAURA
You did all this cause you loved her. And now it’s finished.

BRENDAN
No.

Laura pulls back, looks at his face. It is a mask.

LAURA
What?

BRENDAN
No, it’s not finished. Tug pulled the trigger on Em and he got the fall, but the bulls coulda found that out without me.
I set out to know who put her in the spot, who put her in front of the gun. That was you, angel.

LAURA
What are you talking about?

BRENDAN
It was you. What, you want the whole tale? You want me to tell it to you?

LAURA
Tell it to me.

BRENDAN
Alright, from the top. You had your fingers in Brad Bramish for appearances and to keep him buying from the Pin, who you were hooked with. Emily came to you and Brad, you saw her for what she was, an insecure little girl trying to get in. She goes on the backburner. Meanwhile maybe you’re getting bored, maybe just greedy, so when the Pin scores big with the bricks you take your shot. You hook one, take half, and cut it back to size, but you cut it bad. Maybe accidentally, maybe to down the Pin’s operation, doesn’t matter. You put it back, but poor Frisco doses off it and lands in a coma. So now the Pin’s fuming, maybe he’s jealous of Brad, so he comes to Brad’s crowd looking for blood, or at least a scape. You know trouble. There’s going to be a war over this. And there’s Emily. She trusts you. She wants in. It’s duck soup.

LAURA
No.

BRENDAN
You frame her for the bad brick, then you cut her loose. You turn on your heel and bite her in the throat. Last week on the payphone, Pico and Alexander, she saw something she was scared of. Tug’s car driving by, the Pin driving, but she wouldn’t have seen the Pin. No, she was across the street, angel. She saw the passenger side. She saw you. She saw you and ran like she saw some devil.

LAURA
Brendan, why are you-

BRENDAN
And she took the hit. Dode hid her away, but the Pin was on to her, tracked her down, told her to meet him, that they would make good. Gave her a time, and a place. And sent Tug. Just to get the straight. But maybe you had talked Tug up, or maybe he just blew a fuse, but Em sprung it on him that she had her kid, and he did what anyone could count on Tug doing - he hit her. She took the hit for you. You let her take it.

LAURA
Stop it!

BRENDAN
That’s the tale.

LAURA
Stop it!

BRENDAN
You’re going to tell me it’s not?

LAURA
It’s not!

BRENDAN
Look at me.

LAURA
You know me. I’ve only helped you. How can you - It isn’t true!

BRENDAN
I hope it isn’t. I want you to have been on my side all along, not just trying to get me under your thumb like Brad and the Pin and Tug.

LAURA
No-

BRENDAN
But I think you knew that meeting was going to blow up. I think that was your final play. But I hope I’m wrong. I hope everything I wrote in the note I dropped at Gary Trueman’s office this morning is wrong. About your and Brad’s involvement in the Pin’s runnings. I hope you didn’t steal the brick last night. In your purse.

LAURA
I didn’t.

BRENDAN
That’s good. That means you didn’t let me walk into a slaughterhouse. You didn’t lead Tug and the Pin and their crews to the slaughter. And when Trueman reads the note, takes my cue and searches your locker, he won’t find a damn thing.

Something changes in Laura’s eyes.

EXT. LOCKER CAGE - INSERT
Trueman and several other men force Laura’s locker open. From it’s dark interior the chalky white brick falls out, spins through the air, and shatters silently on the locker cage floor.

EXT. FOOTBALL FIELD - SAME
Laura steps back. She looks as if she has been punched in the face.

LAURA
Brendan... don’t...

BRENDAN
It’s done.

Her face does strange things, subtle contortions.

She watches his eyes. He doesn’t look at her. Her voice shakes.

LAURA
Done. Well. That’s most of it. 9 out of 10. I told Em to tell Tug it was his. Told her it would soften him up. She said she wished she could keep it, but she didn’t love the father. I was going to drive her down the next day, we’d found a doctor. Most wouldn’t. She was starting to show. 3 months. You know whose kid that makes it, or have you known all along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:38 pm 
Hash Head

so was EM lying then to TUG that the baby was TUGs? And then she said she didn't love the father, meaning TUG? And therefor exempting all the assumptions that Em was saing she didn't love Brenden?

Man I love reading a good script, even if its just a segment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:35 pm 
Drama Vamp

Nick:

According to the script, and other people's comments here, Laura told Emily to tell Tug that the kid was his to soften him up. So between Emily and Laura, Emily was probably referring to Brendan as not loving him, and therefore not wanting to keep his child.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:42 am 
Lapdog

Matt wrote:
According to the script, and other people's comments here, Laura told Emily to tell Tug that the kid was his to soften him up. So between Emily and Laura, Emily was probably referring to Brendan as not loving him, and therefore not wanting to keep his child.

Not for one second do I believe a word that Laura says to Brendan in this scene. Not about Emily not loving the father, not about her taking Em to the doc (when did Laura do anything nice for Em?), not about what she whispered to him. She says anything, any time, to get what she wants. She wants to devastate Brendan, purely and simply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:43 am 
Lapdog

Good call. Laura's not to be trusted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:11 am 
See, this is why this board is great.
Tell us how much that song cost. What cameras did you use? Post part of your script. I'm going to sell some shirts based on your movie...
I love the fact that Rian is so acquiescent and has no paranoid delusions as to what this openness could lead to other than positive buzz (unlike, say, NBC pulling SNL skits from YouTube when they were making the show more popular than it's been in years).
As you (Rian) make more films and get more popular, a smallish board like this will obviously become an impossibility, but I truly think you have created something special here, and have likely produced some lifelong fans as a result (or was that the plan all along?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:24 am 
Lapdog

It was all his nefarious plot, wasn't it! And I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. I'm his patsy.

Hey, maybe that can be the name for Brick fans: patsys. Or saps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:47 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Mwahahahahahaha. Where's my devil face? :twisted: There it is.

Actually I was just trying to lure as many people here as possible so I could make them aware of this which is the best thing ever created by man or beast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:39 pm 
Hash Head

But the real question is, which created it: man or beast? Or both?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:59 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

but what did laura want from brad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:18 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Laura (according to dialogue in the film, which I won't quote directly) was with Brad for appearances and to keep him buying from the Pin. So it was something very separate from the entire story line, nothing to do with Emily's death or the Pin's runnings with the bricks. It was back story. Even Brendan says that Brad was a pawn, not a player in this game. You know? Or am I just making myself sound like an idiot.

Rian, I can't seem to hold all your calls. :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:51 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

what did she want from brendan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:07 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

i was about to start a sentence with "Isn it ovious..." but then I realised I cannot answer that myself. My guess is that he fit into her plan? People who have seen it more then once, or anyone come to think of it, want to chip in.