Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:24 am 
Ass. V.P.

Wow, thanks for posting this. I remember standing at a newsstand reading Mike's Esquire article on Brick and getting very emotional, it was such a genuinely encouraging piece, and felt in an odd way like a happy and hopeful ending to the long road of making that movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

That was indeed a great (and entirely correct) article. As long as we're talking about great Brick reviews, you might want to take a look at one by Theo Payanides, who loved it, and usually has smart things to say.

Also, cool to hear that you're probably doing sci-fi next. That's a genre that people rarely get right, but when it works (like Primer and The Prestige), it's something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:55 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Yellow Calx wrote:
That's a genre that people rarely get right, but when it works (like Primer and The Prestige), it's something.

I love that you consider The Prestige sci-fi, you're entirely right. My admiration for that movie grows on every viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:18 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
Yellow Calx wrote:
That's a genre that people rarely get right, but when it works (like Primer and The Prestige), it's something.

I love that you consider The Prestige sci-fi, you're entirely right. My admiration for that movie grows on every viewing.

Yeah, the first time I read this, my thoughts were all "hey, the prestige isn't...wait...oh...oh wow, shit, it IS sci-fi...". Amazing. And an amazing, amazing film. Just like "the Braid theory," there's a pretty well developed, albiet unintended alternate theory for the ending, about the machine not working at all, and the entire film being set up as one big "magic trick".

But, I digress, this isn't a Prestige thread... I don't even remember what thread it is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:54 pm 
Upper Crust

Yellow Calx wrote:
Mike D'Angelo - the Esquire/Las Vegas Weekly critic who loved Brick - posted some comments about Bloom on his website:

[It's almost touching, really, to see a scarily talented young filmmaker who's still struggling to overcome the tyranny of influence and develop his own voice. Brick, with its hyperkinetic camerawork and floridly stylized dialogue, was an unapologetic (and first-rate) Coen Bros. pastiche]

Were we watching the same film??? :shock: Nice (in a kinda backhanded way) comments aside, dude is off-base on Brick.

Of Nolan's films, The Prestige is the one that twitters in my brain "Watch me again!" the most. (The others seem content to drink tea and eat crumpets.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Yellow Calx wrote:
[[i]It's almost touching, really, to see a scarily talented young filmmaker who's still struggling to overcome the tyranny of influence and develop his own voice. Brick, with its hyperkinetic camerawork and floridly stylized dialogue, was an unapologetic (and first-rate) Coen Bros. pastiche, though you could catch glimpses of Johnson's own personality reflected in his banal yet evocative San Clemente locations...

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a pastiche so much as parallel filmmaking, as if all said filmmakers were dropping their buckets into the same Zeitgeist.

THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 pm 
The Pin's Mom

blueman wrote:
Were we watching the same film??? :shock: Nice (in a kinda backhanded way) comments aside, dude is off-base on Brick.

Oh god, thank you for being the one to say "backhanded." Maybe I just don't understand critics or film (since Rian really seems pleased with that review), but good god damn if someone said that about my movie I'd have a hard time not punching him in the face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 pm 
Ass. V.P.

sarahalyse wrote:
blueman wrote:

Oh god, thank you for being the one to say "backhanded." Maybe I just don't understand critics or film (since Rian really seems pleased with that review), but good god damn if someone said that about my movie I'd have a hard time not punching him in the face.

Really? I found it, on the whole, to be very encouraging. I do have some strong opinions about some of Mike's opinions, and I could respond at length, but I don't think it's altogether healthy (or classy) for artists to respond to responses to their work with anything but a nod, smile and "thank you." At least not externally.

On the inside you parse it, take what strikes you as true, pick out what doesn't, figure out why each is each by talking to yourself in the shower, and hopefully through that process learn something that helps you advance a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:29 pm 
The Pin's Mom

That's why you're much classier than I am ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:53 pm 
Ass. V.P.

sarahalyse wrote:
That's why you're much classier than I am ;)

And that's why I hire you to punch people for me. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:05 am 
The Pin's Mom

*flexes*
*cracks knuckles*

Mister Johnson don't like the way you been talking, son...he sent me here to adjust your attitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:12 pm 
Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
*flexes*
*cracks knuckles*

Mister Johnson don't like the way you been talking, son...he sent me here to adjust your attitude.

We really need a conor photoshop-special on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:44 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Not that I want to incur the wrath of the bruiser, but really, a Louisville slugger or a boken (japanese practice sword), work better than your fists. Sod o steel toe boots.

Not that I have any practical experience.

Really, I wasn't there officer. He just fell. a few dozen times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:09 pm 
Shamus

rcjohnso wrote:
On the inside you parse it, take what strikes you as true, pick out what doesn't, figure out why each is each by talking to yourself in the shower, and hopefully through that process learn something that helps you advance a little.

I talk -and sing- with myself in the shower too, it helps the process of assimilating some things :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:12 am 
Shamus

Casey Moore wrote:
a Louisville slugger or a boken (japanese practice sword), work better than your fists. Sod o steel toe boots.

But I was kinda thinking that in this virtual universum, telepathic bat seems to be a logical choice of arms, or at least selfdestructing telepathic message someone once suggested.

specialcracker wrote:
rcjohnso wrote:

I talk -and sing- with myself in the shower too, it helps the process of assimilating some things :D

Yeah, talking to myself and laughing at walls are my two favorite ways of setting my thoughts str8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next