Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 am 
Drama Vamp

http://www.sansebastianfestival.com/in/playlist.php

Take a look at the day of Bros. Bloom for
Rian's dangerous walk on the ledge that has laid victims
to the directors of such movies as ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:37 am 
The Pin's Mom

Ouch. Sounds like Spain (or at least the press) was not really feeling the Bloom. In the press conference, that first guy was either being a complete douchemongrel or the translator was confused. Honestly, I can't be sure.

Rian held up to it pretty well, though. Especially his answer to that noise merchant who said Penelope was an unbelievable character. Her motivation, even though I haven't seen the film, makes perfect sense to me.

Or maybe I should shut up until I've actually seen it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:08 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Quote:
sarahalyse Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:37 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch. Sounds like Spain (or at least the press) was not really feeling the Bloom.

That's because I was not there, you know. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:44 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I sensed some spoilers during the Penelope question, so I turned it off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 pm 
Upper Crust

instrumentalist wrote:

I love that it starts with Ernst Stavro Blofeld taking the piss out of Rian.

Watching this, I think it's (perhaps ironically) the best and most informative press conference Bloom will get. When lauded with praise, these things tend to all be the same. As it is, Rian digs into it and we get some real commentary.

PS1- Nobody tell the interviewer with the mustache that the orphan influence was less Oliver Twist and more Pete's Dragon ;)
PS2- Cousta Ritza? whom exactly should I be netflixing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:51 pm 
Ass. V.P.

ronen wrote:
instrumentalist wrote:

Watching this, I think it's (perhaps ironically) the best and most informative press conference Bloom will get. When lauded with praise, these things tend to all be the same. As it is, Rian digs into it and we get some real commentary.

PS1- Nobody tell the interviewer with the mustache that the orphan influence was less Oliver Twist and more Pete's Dragon ;)

Oohhhh, the pain. God that was not fun. But maybe entertaining after the fact. What you can't tell about that first guy is that his two eyes actually pointed towards opposite sides of his face, so on top of the question (which I was told was actually meant to be much more insulting and was softened up in the translation) I was totally thrown by his hypnotic fish eyes.

You should immediately netflix "Underground" by Emir Kusturica (pronounced "Cousta Ritza")

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:29 am 
Hash Head

rcjohnso wrote:
ronen wrote:
instrumentalist wrote:

Oohhhh, the pain. God that was not fun. But maybe entertaining after the fact. What you can't tell about that first guy is that his two eyes actually pointed towards opposite sides of his face, so on top of the question (which I was told was actually meant to be much more insulting and was softened up in the translation) I was totally thrown by his hypnotic fish eyes.

You should immediately netflix "Underground" by Emir Kusturica (pronounced "Cousta Ritza")

I thought you held up really well. What's with the guy asking why he couldn't understand the english? Too... many... jokes....

Now, more importantly -- did you meet PT Anderson out there? :-D

====

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:05 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Being an spanish speaker, I found the first question little less than hilarious (he repeats "messy script" and seems truly confuse, perpetually). So I wouldn't take it as an offense, he was more confused than its syntax (thus, the translator was even more consufsed).

Personally, I loved the answer to the question about the narrators voice of Ricky Jay (if it has worked, and still works great, why not use it? as it is a part of the bloom construct-experience). Another piece of detail to add to the coherent puzzle.

I found the request for your version of Oliver Twist waaay weird (Oliver Twisted, a Rian Johnson joint?).

The Nino Rota reference is a plus, a nice and amiable spoiler. Seems like your film is indeed a merging of many preciosities.

Way to go, Rian!

"When Ellen finally left, she said she felt as though she didn't even know me. She said I lived entirely inside my own head [...] if she's ever seen my site, then she'd know the real me" - Dan Clowes - from "The Book of Other People".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:05 pm 
Shamus

Ricosushi wrote:
Being an spanish speaker, I found the first question little less than hilarious (he repeats "messy script" and seems truly confuse, perpetually). So I wouldn't take it as an offense, he was more confused than its syntax (thus, the translator was even more consufsed).

I listened to both english and spanish, and my best guess is: he was lost becasue one of his eyes was looking right and the other left, and none were left to actually look at the script, or the movie for that matter.

Walking like that, you're bound to hit a column or two, and that's how he actually became a reporter.

O.K. I'm silly, little girl, with a vicious mind, I know.

rcjohnso wrote:
Emir Kusturica (pronounced "Cousta Ritza")

REALLY!? :shock:

It's Kusturitza. Know your deers, from your moons, yong man!

True fact! I often see him when I pay a visit to my godmother in Herceg-Novi. I even spoke to him. He spends part of his summer there every year.

Another true fact, his first name is Nemanja now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:47 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Ayz wrote:
Now, more importantly -- did you meet PT Anderson out there? :-D

Yes! For the 2nd time, I had met him through Ricky years ago. And just briefly this time, but he seems just like he seemed last time - like a really sweet genuine guy. And I met Jonathan Demme! Who I awkwardly introduced myself to in that way where I suspect I might have been an ass. Has everyone seen his new one yet? It's great.

Thanks Rico - appreciate the good vibes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:48 pm 
Ass. V.P.

myanne wrote:
It's Kusturitza. Know your deers, from your moons, yong man!

Hmmmm... not according to my Serbian girlfriend... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:50 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
I awkwardly introduced myself to in that way where I suspect I might have been an ass.

Hey, I think I did that the one time I met a real film director, too!

In relation to the topic at hand, video of the Chicago Film Fest will be on Vimeo tomorrow sometime. I promise. Sorry I'm so lazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:48 pm 
Drama Vamp

Don't they use Cyrillic lettering? If so, doesn't that mean that the translation can end up in one of a few forms? Similar in a way to how Arabic names are constantly being spelled differently. Nonetheless, being the big soccer fan I am, I will use my extensive knowledge of European names to say.....Rian's right. I can't think of any instance where a Serbian name has been spelled "-itza". Think of Srebenica (also pronounced "-itza").

Speaking of soccer....why would he change his name to Nemanja?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 am 
Shamus

Well, since my mother language is Serbian, I can, with all certainty, say that the words are pronounced in the same way, indipendently of the alphabet in use (it's called the Adelung rule of reading and writing, widely known in the Balkans as the Vuk Karadzic's rule) we have 30 phonemas and 30 graphemas, which is one voice for one letter. So it's pronounced KUSTURITZA, even if it's written Кустурица (Kusturica is a latinic version). The point was that the U was mispronounced.

About name change: He converted to Ortodox Cristianity, and Nemanja is a very ominous name, since it was middle name of Serbian rulers from a very lustrous family (Nemanjići)...and reason for that... well let me get the history book. It's a long story. And it's a touchy subject for a discussion anyway, and I've made a promise to myself I'll never discuss it, because every time, someone gets offended.

But, don't take my word for it, see for youself. No offense, I hope. :roll: