Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
...but I think the highlight of her performance is the scene after she gets away from the Chief of Police, and reveals to have gotten away with the book. In that moment as she squeels with laughter and jumps around, I’m reminded of the opening scene, when the young Bloom forgets it’s all fake and rushes into the cave with the rest of them. Racheal is so into that moment, it doesn’t feel like we’re watching Weisz acting in a movie. It feels, to me, like it’s honestly happening, and that we’re seeing true, unbound joy for that one moment. It’s impressive, and has the potential to be both heart-warming and heart-breaking, depending on your angle of approach.

Love how that's part of the pinhole camera thing. Our beings affect how we perceive the reality around us like the watermelon's shape distorts what it "sees" through it "eye." It doesn't really matter whether it's "fake" or not, Penelope in that moment and Bloom as a child at the cave are enjoying themselves despite the situations not being genuine at face value. Which then ties into Penelope's monologue during her card trick about writing your life the way you want to and "learning how to cheat" to work around the things in life you can't change.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 pm 
Hash Head

First of all, I can't believe I didn't find this (the forum) sooner.

Just got back from a four(ish) hour roundtrip drive down to Bethel, CT to see The Brothers Bloom in a tiny but adorable theatre with my production partner, Brian. What a fantastic movie - I was seriously blown away. The combined simplicities and complexities of this film were so much fun to sit through and try to guess at, and follow... I'm about to embark on producing my first feature (written and directed by my aforementioned partner) this summer, and I just wanted to thank Rian for seriously reminding me why I'm doing it and why I love the craft of film so damn much.

Also, can I say how much of a breath of fresh air it is to see a film with an original screenplay after sitting through... (three? I think?) straight franchise films in a row this past month? Thank god for independent cinema.

Anyway, it was well worth the drive -- and if it wasn't coming out near here Friday, I think we'd probably go straight back to Bethel to see it again!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:07 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Welcome to the forum! Better late than never, I always say.

And here comes the "that's what she said"...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:10 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks settern, welcome to the forum!

I'm staying out of analysis of the movie, but I wanted to let you all know how amazing it is for me to finally, after nearly a year of reading nothing but encapsulated reviews, hear people who care about it pulling it apart. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:23 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
I wanted to let you all know how amazing it is for me to finally, after nearly a year of reading nothing but encapsulated reviews, hear people who care about it pulling it apart. 8)
sarahalyse wrote:
Better late than never, I always say.

That's what she said...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am 
Shamus

settern wrote:
First of all, I can't believe I didn't find this (the forum) sooner.

Just got back from a four(ish) hour roundtrip drive down to Bethel, CT to see The Brothers Bloom in a tiny but adorable theatre with my production partner, Brian. What a fantastic movie - I was seriously blown away. The combined simplicities and complexities of this film were so much fun to sit through and try to guess at, and follow... I'm about to embark on producing my first feature (written and directed by my aforementioned partner) this summer, and I just wanted to thank Rian for seriously reminding me why I'm doing it and why I love the craft of film so damn much.

Also, can I say how much of a breath of fresh air it is to see a film with an original screenplay after sitting through... (three? I think?) straight franchise films in a row this past month? Thank god for independent cinema.

Anyway, it was well worth the drive -- and if it wasn't coming out near here Friday, I think we'd probably go straight back to Bethel to see it again!

Bethel! I lived there for a year when I was a lil' shaver. We were in a condo right up the street from Grassy Plains Elementary School, where Paul Newman shot his 1968 film Rachel, Rachel.

Sorry for the interruption. Back to the salt mines, Bloom analysts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:21 pm 
Hash Head

Saturday I was picking my sister up for a short visit and on the way home she was talking about how she wanted to go to Prague, she had put it "on her list of things she had to do". Then I remembered that she had babysat for us when we went to see Bloom a couple weeks ago and that she was planning to go see it, so I asked her "Oh did you see the Brothers Bloom?" "Yeah. It was good." I didn't press it, but I assume the Prague inspiration came from that, and thought it was a nice bit of positive feedback on the film. (The Prague Dept. of Tourism can thank Rian for that! Especially since she just may convince her entire Broadway mgmt. co. office staff to take their employee perk trip there).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

saw it at the naro expanded cinema in norfolk, va. greatest thing ever to end my day with. After the movie me and my friends agreed that we too would like an assistant similar to bang bang to randomly enter our lives. thanks for a great evening with an awesome movie rian!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:00 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks Emma, glad you enjoyed it! I'll have Rinko show up sometime next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:35 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Last night I was out at a bar when my friend Ryan (the one who saw Brick in the theater, bought the DVD the day it came out, and sat me down and said, "Dammit, watch this") texted me this one phrase:

"Rian definitely gets a wow."

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 am 
Hash Head

Just saw it for the first time in Singapore (was pleasantly surprised to see it actually being shown here, one cinema only though of course) and I have to say I have mixed feelings. I mean, I will most definitely be re-visiting the film multiple times, I think that's a necessity as there are lots of things to be strung out and picked upon, you can only always further your understanding, never retract it. There were tiny, tiny bits that maybe I felt were unnecessary, that's for the time being anyway but for the most part, I did enjoy it quite a lot and the performances were impeccable which I really knew would not be an issue with Brody, Ruffalo and Weisz. Great to see good ol' Joe make a dashing appearance albeit a brief one as well as Nora. The best thing about the film for me was it's seamless nature and excellent pacing that didn't let you away for even a momentary lapse. There's a lot more for me to ponder about and question as I will go watch it again (quite soon, I assure you) but for now, let me just congratulate Rian on achieving another fine work of film after Brick.

This is the second biggest Rian Johnson forum I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:54 pm 
Lapdog

Damn, it's been awhile since I've posted on this forum. My, my, how it has grown. I remember when it was knee high, but look at it now - as big as an NFL Linebacker.

Well, just saw Brothers Bloom down in El Paso. A Rian Johnson film finally played in El Paso! (As we speak, there are light flurries in hell and flying pigs have been reported in parts of Nebraska)

Just wanted to congratulate everyone involved on the film. It was truly amazing and just great old-school moviemaking. It just reminds me of a classic film you would see on Turner Classic Movies. God willing, one day Ted Turner himself will go on another classic film buying bender and pick this one up.

It ranks up there with The Grifters and The Sting among the great con man movies. Hats off to you, Rian.

Only a couple of those "con woman" movies I've seen late nights on Cinemax are truly better than The Brothers Bloom. But it's only like 2 or 3 movies in the con genre that can top this film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 am 
Upper Crust

Just saw it (finally!).

Rian, thank you for making another wonderful movie. Really loved it, had a big ol' dorky grin on my face the whole time (well, except for the tense scenes, when I probably looked like this :shock: ). Both me and my good friend and fellow Brick lover agreed, it was every bit as awesome as we expected it to be. Kudos and can't wait for your next one!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:06 am 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks guys 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I sincerely wish I had the appropriate & vast words to describe the journey this film took me through. It hit & hurt every part of the head, heart, gut, & soul, with a truly “classic” & rarely comparable hard hitting one-two KO punch. I can only Thank You for sharing your unrivaled vision of grandeur & the human condition when we all face to meet our match... Ultimately; we are the cons, & can only create a tale worth telling… It’s been 10+ years since I personally found a film so genuine with wit, banter, trial & tribulation, most importantly pardon from our fears. Everything about this film was perfect!!! Cast & Crew, mood, score, sentiment, STORY, wardrobe, & curious possibility, left me absolutely speechless… The Brothers Bloom now sit alongside Grosse Pointe Blank & The Blues Brothers in my all-time Top Three favorite films.

Being that I’m new here on the forum, I’m very excited to learn & know that this splendid film captured heart, imagination, & romance, moving others in a similar fashion. I look forward to watching future success with it’s growth in popularity & seeing those who stumble upon this amazing source of substance, add it to their collection of “noteworthy” gems/favorites. All the Best & Warmest Wishes!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next