Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Welcome to the forum, Mr Tragedy. I think you'll find you're in good company.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:25 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks, really glad you connected so strongly with it! And welcome to the boards. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I finally got a chance to see Brother Bloom last week and have since seen it two other times, once with the theater commentary, and then again a few nights ago.

This film has become my favorite of 2009, and it sits at #2 for my favorites of the decade. It is truly amazing. I love everything about it.

Like many in this forum, Brothers Bloom resonated with me greatly, I seem to be a tuning fork for this film. There are so many things that I love about this film but I think the thing that I love the most is the story of the relationship between Stephen and Bloom. I love how Stephen cares for his brother so deeply that he's made it his mission to do everything in his power to make his brother happy. I think the performances that you got from the cast are amazing. Another thing that I love is the depth you put into the film, from the depth of the characters having connections to icarus, to the fact that it seems that every frame of the film have visual depth to it(scenes with Stephen very dark and closed in for Stephen and very bright and open for Penelope)

I'm sure Brothers Bloom will be one of my favorite films for a long time to come and I really look forward to seeing all your future films.

As for Nathan, I think he made an amazing score. Since seeing the film and picking up the score, I've probably listened to it at least 20 times. It compliments the film absolutely perfectly. Every time I listen to it, it evokes all the emotions I felt when I saw the film and am flooded with images from the accompanying scenes. It was my favorite score of the year, and that was no easy feat because Clint Mansell's Moon score was pretty damn perfect.

Thanks again for such great work, and if either Rian or Nathan would like or have the time, we'd love to interview you in our podcast.

James

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
Annasthesiologist

Hi James,
Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm about to watch Moon tonight (finally) and I love Mansell's work so I'll keep an ear out for it!
I'd be happy to be on your podcast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:22 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks so much James! And welcome to the boards 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

JamesYGG wrote:
This film has become my favorite of 2009, and it sits at #2 for my favorites of the decade. It is truly amazing. I love everything about it.

me too! how did you know?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am 
Upper Crust

In my Acting Techniques class yesterday, our assignment was to bring in a scene from a movie we thought was "brilliantly acted" to screen for the class.

I presented a scene from Inland Empire, but a classmate did the Bloom/Diamond Dog bar scene from Brothers Bloom.

I have absolutely no right to feel proud about this, but for some reason, I did.

Last edited by tsukasa13 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 am 
The Pin's Mom

That is AWESOME.

You know, every time I say "tea" now, I have to follow it with "Can you believe it?"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I finally got to see it! I went to the first screening of it in Edinburgh today! I'm not sure what I would say if I didn't like it, but luckily I did. I really liked it. I found the characters all very likeable, and I thought Mark Ruffalo was especially good. I thought it was quite funny and, ultimately, very sad (funny, but sad - that's my bag). And I loved the music, especially Penelope's Theme. The film has been simmering away in my head since I saw it, as all good films do, and I'm liking it more and more as I think about it. I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth the wait.

Good hustle, Rian. Looking forward to Looper now!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:53 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

My girlfriend was having to do a project for school in which she has to create storyboards from the script. We are currently watching the Blu-Ray of Brothers Bloom and like every other time I've watched it, I get completely engrossed. The scene in which Adrien Brody drops to his knees on the side of the road just KILLS me. I had the biggest lump in my throat when I saw that scene in the theaters...It gets to me every time.

Can't wait till Looper comes around. Hopefully the shoot has gone well for Rian as well as cast and crew...The pictures from set look great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Yeah, that scene is a tear-jerker for sure. Welcome to the forum, Jeff!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 am 
Upper Crust

Looks like my very last essay as a film undergraduate will be about The Postmodern Project of The Brothers Bloom. I'll be relating the film to Jean Baudrillard's theory of the Hyperreal, and his infamous analogy of faking a bank robbery.

I may also comment on the film's deployment of nostalgia, but we'll see if that's permitted or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Atlas Shrugged Blames Critics for Poor Box Office; Plans to Go on Strike

Quote:
It is admittedly fascinating to witness Mr. Aglialoro's attempts to turn the judgment of the Free Market into something less...well...Objective.

Films can be awful and make a lot of money (see: Transformers 2) or they can be great and make very little money (see: Brothers Bloom). Either way, critical reaction to a film has a near-negligible effect on most films' financial prospects.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:00 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Jeffgarneau wrote:
My girlfriend was having to do a project for school in which she has to create storyboards from the script. We are currently watching the Blu-Ray of Brothers Bloom and like every other time I've watched it, I get completely engrossed. The scene in which Adrien Brody drops to his knees on the side of the road just KILLS me. I had the biggest lump in my throat when I saw that scene in the theaters...It gets to me every time.

Can't wait till Looper comes around. Hopefully the shoot has gone well for Rian as well as cast and crew...The pictures from set look great.

Thanks Jeff, that makes me very happy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:00 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Day Glo wrote:
Looks like my very last essay as a film undergraduate will be about The Postmodern Project of The Brothers Bloom. I'll be relating the film to Jean Baudrillard's theory of the Hyperreal, and his infamous analogy of faking a bank robbery.

I may also comment on the film's deployment of nostalgia, but we'll see if that's permitted or not.

I think this will have to be posted.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next