Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Hidden References
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:04 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I saw Brothers Bloom last night in Austin and enjoyed it a lot!

I noticed nifty little hidden things.

Diamond Dog kept referring to the Daedalus myth ("wax of our wings", "defeat the minataur"), The obscure reference was the name of his restaurant/nightclub that he owned. I noticed it was named the "Labrynth", but it was written in Cyrillic since they were in Russia. Love those hidden little details in film!

I noticed also Penelope was playing "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash on her harp as the Brothers Bloom were first watching her. Fitting, given the scene. I think that reference was a little more easy to pick up on than the previously mentioned one (thus I'm sure a lot of you had noticed as well), but still.. nice little detail ;)

I feel like I noticed other little nifty hidden references, but can't recall at the moment.

Again, very enjoyable film!

Post subject: Re: Hidden References
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:19 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Can I be the one to point out that Stephen Daedalus and Leopold Bloom are the two main characters in Joyce's Ulysses? Can I, huh, huh, pul-leaze!

Nice catch, Des! Now I'm really going to have to see the film again. (And buy an iPod and listen to Rian's commentary just as though he was there beside me, whispering in my ear. Hey, knock it off, will ya? I'm trying to watch the f*cking movie! And get off my lawn!) Welcome to the forum...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:47 pm 
Upper Crust

Such good stuff. A few other notes: Nearly every outfit Penelope wears is yellow or orange, signifying her as the sun. Also, Stephen's final scene is in a burned-out theater (draw your own conclusions there), with a spotlight shining on him.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:59 pm 
Upper Crust

The shot of Bloom on the stairs, over the fallen statue... right after the Curator's warning. Awesomessssssss.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:59 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

maxfrost wrote:
Can I be the one to point out that Stephen Daedalus and Leopold Bloom are the two main characters in Joyce's Ulysses? Can I, huh, huh, pul-leaze!

Nice catch, Des! Now I'm really going to have to see the film again. (And buy an iPod and listen to Rian's commentary just as though he was there beside me, whispering in my ear. Hey, knock it off, will ya? I'm trying to watch the f*cking movie! And get off my lawn!) Welcome to the forum...

Oh good call. Also, thanks for the welcome!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:25 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

CubanB31 wrote:
The shot of Bloom on the stairs, over the fallen statue... right after the Curator's warning. Awesomessssssss.

That's such a sweet shot, especially as it follows the one piece of screwy action I couldn't otherwise find a motivation for.

(A bit of Icarus burning and crashing.)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:27 pm 
Upper Crust

CubanB31 wrote:

Yeah, I think this was probably my second favorite shot. I want to frame it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
CubanB31 wrote:

That's such a sweet shot, especially as it follows the one piece of screwy action I couldn't otherwise find a motivation for.

And it feels so damn natural of the Curator to do! It doesn't feel forced at all and that's what I LOVE about the symbolism in this film. Any 'Joe the Plumber,' without an intelligent eye, can watch the movie, ignoring the little details in the frame, and still understand and enjoy the movie.

*Sigh*
I've fallen head over Icarus for this flick... I just admire how Rian approaches his films. As if he appreciates the opportunity of being able to tell his stories - so much so that he'll try not to put these opportunities to waste - packing every shot with immense detail and thought. Every frame counts. That's old school and very damn respectable of him.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Des wrote:
The obscure reference was the name of his restaurant/nightclub that he owned. I noticed it was named the "Labrynth", but it was written in Cyrillic since they were in Russia.

Nice catch!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:11 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

rcjohnso wrote:
Des wrote:
The obscure reference was the name of his restaurant/nightclub that he owned. I noticed it was named the "Labrynth", but it was written in Cyrillic since they were in Russia.

Nice catch!

Thanks! 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:39 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

CubanB31 wrote:

Another thought on this, and I'm guessing it's just coincidence, but the image of a fallen angel at the bottom of the circular stairs reminded me of Satan in the lowest rung of Dante's inferno.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:42 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

maxfrost wrote:
CubanB31 wrote:

Another thought on this, and I'm guessing it's just coincidence, but the image of a fallen angel at the bottom of the circular stairs reminded me of Satan in the lowest rung of Dante's inferno.

I actually don't remember this shot specifically. I'll look for it next time ;)

If it's another tie-in to the Daedalus myth (which it may not be) it could represent Icarus. I'll have to scope it out again :)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:51 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Des wrote:
If it's another tie-in to the Daedalus myth (which it may not be) it could represent Icarus. I'll have to scope it out again :)

While leafing through my trusty dictionary of classical mythology, I came across the entry on Penelope - she is the wife, of course, of Odysseus (obvious tie to Ulysses and the Stephen/Bloom thing), but also the daughter of Icarus, son of Daedalus, who built the Minotaur's Labyrinth...

Nicely done, Rian. Did you cackle manically as you wrote the script? I would, if I were as clever as you...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:19 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Jannes wrote:
While leafing through my trusty dictionary of classical mythology, I came across the entry on Penelope - she is the wife, of course, of Odysseus (obvious tie to Ulysses and the Stephen/Bloom thing), but also the daughter of Icarus, son of Daedalus, who built the Minotaur's Labyrinth...

Nicely done, Rian. Did you cackle manically as you wrote the script? I would, if I were as clever as you...

This is beginning to sound incestuous...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:58 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Jannes wrote:

This is beginning to sound incestuous...

It's a family film...