Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Steam Railway Tours
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:07 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

So apparently you can charter international tours via restored, vintage steam powered locomotives.

I figured it was of course an aesthetic choice to use a steam powered train of yester-year in the film, but I also didn't assume this was impossible to actually do in real-life. Thusly, I had to look it up :)

I've learned not to easily assume that there's a service or activity you could think of that's in all likelihood unavailable. Somewhere in the world there's bound to be some company or interest group that provides it. Sure enough I found one of many company websites offering such travel arrangements:

http://www.railserve.com/jump/jump.cgi?ID=15691

Post subject: Re: Steam Railway Tours
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:34 pm 
Ass. V.P.

That's pretty damn cool. And for a cool 40,000 euros a day (in the off season) you can charter a steamer ship. In fact, the steamer ship from the movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 am 
The Pin's Mom

So if I start saving my pennies now, I'll be able to afford a single day on the SS Fidele for my 98th birthday! SWEET!

Aw shit, I forgot about inflation...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:26 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

rcjohnso wrote:
That's pretty damn cool. And for a cool 40,000 euros a day (in the off season) you can charter a steamer ship. In fact, the steamer ship from the movie.

Oh wow. My mother and step-father chartered a large schooner around the same size for their wedding and it was around 1/10 that price (in the high season too). I guess it was significantly lower in cost because it just operates on wind :)

Also, it was on the Chesapeake and not on the Mediterranean so I guess that factors into things.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:35 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

sarahalyse wrote:
So if I start saving my pennies now, I'll be able to afford a single day on the SS Fidele for my 98th birthday! SWEET!

Aw shit, I forgot about inflation...

:)

Well by the time you're 98 you'd probably much rather want to charter one of those old-fashion space-shuttles. You know, the ones NASA uses now, just redressed in the interior with all the modern-day luxuries of your 98th year. Tough call to make.. pleasure cruise or pleasure orbit. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:35 pm 
The Pin's Mom

I almost said, "no contest" in favor of the boat, but...it depends on whether I'd get to wear a duster.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:23 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Quote:
So apparently you can charter international tours via restored, vintage steam powered locomotives.

I figured it was of course an aesthetic choice to use a steam powered train of yester-year in the film, but I also didn't assume this was impossible to actually do in real-life. Thusly, I had to look it up :)

Never tried chartering a steam railway tour...you would need quite a few folks to make it work financially I imagine. A better option might be taking one of the established steam railway tours. Last year we slurged and traveled on the The Trans-Siberian Express. Unbelievable fantastic, a 15-day journey spanning two continents and seven time zones! A good, well established organization for finding out about railway tours is Society of International Railway Travelers. They list many steam railway tours all over the world. Another railway tour, one of the unique Attractions in Las Vegas is the Historic Grand Canyon Train Tour. We found discount tickets at Free Things to Do in Las Vegas as well as lots of self guided walking tours.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 am 
Ass. V.P.

LLiverou wrote:
Quote:

Never tried chartering a steam railway tour...you would need quite a few folks to make it work financially I imagine. A better option might be taking one of the established steam railway tours. Last year we slurged and traveled on the The Trans-Siberian Express. Unbelievable fantastic, a 15-day journey spanning two continents and seven time zones! A good, well established organization for finding out about railway tours is Society of International Railway Travelers. They list many steam railway tours all over the world. Another railway tour, one of the unique]Attractions in Las Vegas is the Historic Grand Canyon Train Tour. We found discount tickets at Free Things to Do in Las Vegas as well as lots of self guided walking tours.

I have probably spent more time debating whether this is spam or not than I have on any other post. Thoughts? Opinions? (I removed the links from the post but haven't deleted the user... am I getting soft in my old age?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:41 am 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
I have probably spent more time debating whether this is spam or not than I have on any other post. Thoughts? Opinions? (I removed the links from the post but haven't deleted the user... am I getting soft in my old age?)

(Psst- you left the links in your quote!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Tough call. Usually the spam posts that seem strangely on-topic are using a bot that cobbles together phrases from other posts in the same thread, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
Usually the spam posts that seem strangely on-topic are using a bot that cobbles together phrases from other posts in the same thread ...

then how can you tell them from my posts?