Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 pm 
Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
A little food for your thoughts!

nom nom nom nom nom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:19 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Mmmmm....thought......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 am 
Upper Crust

This hit me as I fell asleep last night, as a different take.

Bloom's knowledge of Stephen's death lies solely on the blood turning brown. Who told him that real blood turns brown? Stephen. How do we (the audience; Bloom) know that Stephen wasn't lying when he said that no fake blood turns brown? Maybe he made his own...

Essentially, what I'm getting at here is the idea that Stephen isn't dead. Mostly I'm basing this off of the very start of the film. Nora's character says to Bloom that Stephen likes to tell stories. Did he tell "the one about the cave"? Yes - we've already seen Stephen tell the one about the cave, because he narrates the opening sequence, having successfully convinced Bloom that he was killed by the Diamond Dog's henchman, and lived to be an old man. This theory rests further on two ideas (one of which I'm unsure about, having only seen the film once - if I'm wrong, the whole theory falls apart): to a lesser extent, the casting of Ricky Jay as the narrator of the opening sequence, a character that ostensibly does not appear in the rest of the film, but he's a storyteller (as, of course, is Stephen) and a magician (as is Stephen). The second one (that would put holes in the theory) is that [i]I[/] don't recall seeing the face of the thug who shoots Stephen at the end. I may have just missed it or forgotten, but I thought that must be deliberate. In which case, the thug is Bang Bang. Hence Stephen asking Bloom whether or not Bang Bang got out - he knows that she did, he has no reason to worry about her. He's basically asking whether or not Bloom realised that the shadowy figure he was just shooting at was Bang Bang.

Yeeeaaaah?

I won't be able to see the film again for another 2 weeks, but I should be able to see it 2 or 3 times at that point, so I'll give this another run when I can. Anyway, feel free to debunk this if I've made a factual error.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:48 am 
Shamus

You can clearly see the thug's face in the light of the muzzle flare, and it's a man, not Bang Bang.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm 
Upper Crust

Heh, I thought I may have been wrong on that.

Entire theory invalidated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm 
The Pin's Mom

A lot of people have gone for the "Bang Bang Shot First" theory, but yeah, we do see it's a dude. That doesn't invalidate your theory, though! He could have hired someone to play the shooter, theoretically, though that would mean the Dog was also in on it, and playing along.

I still like your theory, because I like any world where I can imagine Steven and Bang Bang run away together and live on a tropical island for the rest of their lives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:36 am 
Upper Crust

A theory which also allows for a ...

SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!11!!1!111!!!!!11!1