Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: THE BIG BANG BANG THEORY
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:07 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Greetings. I posted this same theory at the end of another thread but considered rewriting it and posting it as it's very own thread after I discovered crazy theories DO have a place here (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=182)

I've just watched the Brothers Bloom for the 4th time and doing so allowed me too not just think about the story, but the nitty gritty details. I noticed this time through a couple of details that seem to maybe have some correlation. It might sound crazy and heartbreaking but please hear me out. :)

One of the first questions I pondered this go through was how Diamond Dog knew what the brothers were up to, how he knew what train they were on when they went to Prague, or how he found Bloom in the hotel room when Bloom was drawing Penelope. The first times I watched this movie I just figured it was unimportant to the plot. But this time I considered what if BANGBANG tipped off DD on the brothers whereabouts.

This lead to the thought process of, is that really possible? The more I thought about it the more it seemed it could be.

-Bang Bang was mysterious. She had a cell phone no one really knew about, she appeared out of nowhere in the brothers' lives, ready to help them with their cons (so she obviously was in the know of the con artist world... it wouldn't be surprising if she also knew DD as well)

-After Stephen was taken, and Bloom was loading the gun in the green VW bug, BangBang appears in what Bloom first believes to be the Russians' car. How curious.

Therefore, what I'm theorizing is that DD, the supposed illusive con master, placed Bang Bang with the Brothers after their incident together because DD wanted to stay close, but being hated, couldn't. Bang Bang was all part of a long con thought up by DD for a very long time, for revenge I suppose. This long con included DDs message to Bloom, that one day Stephen would fall. Bang Bang was essentially the eyes of DDs con by acting as "the muscle" in the brothers' cons.

But it was obvious that Bang Bang had developed sort of a relationship with the Brothers. So why would she con them, right? This still fits in with the theory, however, because while she still remained loyal to DD by continuing to carry out the con, she also got emotional when the actual murdering of Stephen was about to take place. She looked at Bloom at the hotel very sadly, at first I thought it was because they intended to make Penelope believe them to be dead, but in this theory it could mean she knew what was about to happen to Stephen and then what would happen to Bloom because of it. Then, in Bang Bang's final scene, an explanation for that being her "time to leave" could be that she didn't want to stay around and see what she was partly responsible for. She carried out the con, for whatever reason, for DD, but didn't want to actually experience it.

Thoughts?

Or... No? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:24 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Also "When you're done with something, Blow it up!"

Bang Bang done with the Brothers Bloom? In a sense she kind of "blew everything up"...

This theory just makes Bang Bang a stronger more important character, instead of simply a comic relief support character esque kind of thing. Ya know? I wish someone else would post something :( haha.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 am 
The Pin's Mom

sklowly wrote:
Crazy theories DO have a place here (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=182)

Are you kidding? This forum was created for crazy theories! Bring 'em on! Rian eats this stuff up.

sklowly wrote:
I've just watched the Brothers Bloom for the 4th time

I am so pleased to hear that someone else besides me went to see the movie several times in the theater. Do I hold the record, I wonder, or has anyone else seen it more than five times?

As for the rest of your theories, I like it. There have been several ideas about Bang Bang being involved with the Dog somehow, and this one makes the most sense to me. I still don't like to think of it, but it explains that tortured look she gives Bloom at the hotel. Definitely something to ruminate on...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I saw it 5th time now -_- hahaha.
Ever since it went to the dollar theatre right down the street from me I've yet to be bored.

Well I dont know. The 5th time I saw it I was just more confused than ever :( Wahhh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:43 am 
The Pin's Mom

I am simultaneously pleased that other people are seeing it repeatedly and miffed that I don't hold the record. Though it is still playing at one of the discount movie houses in Seattle this week...the question is now this: how crazy am I? Luckily it's in West Seattle, which might as well be another planet as far as most people are concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Upper Crust

I think it's six or seven for me. I've seen a few chunks of the movie at least ten times though if you include watching from the port glass.

Of course, I only had to pay for the first four times I saw it so you have me beat there, Sarah.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Yeah, free viewings from working at the theater don't count! ;P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:43 pm 
Ass. V.P.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Is it just me, or do I see a sketch of Bang Bang with an eye patch (DD!!!) in Stephen's journal when Bloom finds the ransom note?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:59 am 
Ass. V.P.

I don't think we did that, but I wish we had...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:18 pm 
The Pin's Mom

I think we're going to need a screenshot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:31 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

when I get the DVD :)

but i looked at it again, it might just be an ambiguous person with an eyepatch... probably just diamond dog. I don't know, watch for it. But, I guess it's nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:08 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

It's kind of blurry, but...
sklowly wrote:
Is it just me, or do I see a sketch of Bang Bang with an eye patch (DD!!!) in Stephen's journal when Bloom finds the ransom note?

Attachments:
File comment: I think this is what you were talking about, yes?
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png [ 55.05 KiB | Viewed 6933 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:11 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

this theory makes me very happy.

(yes, i know i'm late to the party.)