Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:19 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I had watched Brick five or ten times after it came out and loved it. I hadn't seen it in a while when it recently came on HBO. I was watching it late at night saying to myself, Jesus, I can't believe how fucking good this is. I just can't get over how the classic crime drama language is so well applied to these high school kids. It just blows my mind every time.

I then went and found Brick on IMDB and got so excited that Rian had made another movie. When my girlfriend and I finally got to see Brothers Bloom, we were both blown away. I love how Rian is able to bring a classic period into a modern-day setting.

I really don't know what else to say about it. I had to say something. These are the kind of films that make you want to write the filmmaker a letter just to gush and tell him how awesome he is. I'm fucking thrilled there is yet another film in the works. This guy seriously is my new favorite write/director and these are films that will be in constant rotation throughout my life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:58 am 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks Keith, very glad you dug 'em both. And welcome to the board!

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:23 pm 
Upper Crust

You shouldn't be feeding his big time Hollywood director ego. He starts to ramble a lot and adds "and shit" to the end of everything he says.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 am 
The Pin's Mom

Welcome to the forum, Keith!

And also welcome to the Oh God Is Bloom Out of DVD Yet Why Not Dammit Society.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:31 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Yeah, we'll have to buy it from a rental place illegally. Haha.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hey Rian --

I've never posted on the forum before, and didn't see a comments thread, so I figured this topic would be the best place to post.

I watched The Brothers Bloom last night and my wife cried during the last scene. She was really moved. We both really loved it. Just wanted to share that with you.

All the best,
Ralph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks Ralph - it feels weird to type "I'm happy I made your wife cry," but I am. :-) Really happy you both connected with it, thanks for taking the time to let me know. And welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 pm 
The Pin's Mom

rcjohnso wrote:
I'm happy I made your wife cry

You heartless bastard! How many broken marriages will your films leave in their wake?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:39 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

rcjohnso wrote:
Thanks Ralph - it feels weird to type "I'm happy I made your wife cry," but I am. :-) Really happy you both connected with it, thanks for taking the time to let me know. And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for responding, Rian! It does take a awful lot to make my wife cry, so consider that another example for your great talent... ;)

A friend of mine, Shelley Roden, did foley on Brick (and first brought that film to my attention) so she sends her regards.

It might have been answered elsewhere in this forum, but can you tell me how long it took you to write Bloom, once you actually started putting pen to paper?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hey, Rian. Just want to share the sentiments going around in this thread. With Brick and now, The Brothers Bloom, you have become one of my favorite filmmakers. Both remind me of why I love movies so much and why I want to make them. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:54 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks Tony, appreciate that. Welcome to the board!

And Ralph, delayed answer - around three months or so for the first draft, I think. But I had been planning it out for a year or two.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I've been sitting here for months now, desperately loving this movie, and now I actually have a chance to talk to the dude who made it, so I dropped everything I was doing to post here.

I'm going to school for film, with hopes of fulfilling my dream of being a writer/director. Because of this, I'm constantly on the hunt for new movies to learn from or just enjoy. I saw Brick half a year ago or so, and I really, really enjoyed it. I loved the look, the feel, the editing, the story, everything. I heard you made another movie and I was kind of hesitant to jump into it because I had this feeling it wouldn't be as good as Brick. Man, I was wrong. The Brothers Bloom left me with this revelation that I might have found a new hero. I would've loved this movie if it just had its script, or it just had its stellar cinematography, or its incredible actors, but it didn't. It had everything. I really don't know how to describe my addiction to this movie (watched it four times since buying it). I get inspiration and insane entertainment every time and I don't think that'll stop. Case in point, please keep making movies. I will be in line to see every single one.

-John Chrostek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:27 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Hey thanks for the kind words John, that's so cool, I'm really glad you dug the movie. And happy to have you on the board! 8)