Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I know just enough about writing to really have a hard time enjoying movies, so when a movie is moderately enjoyable I am a happy. I saw The Brothers Bloom last summer, slightly more than half drunk with a couple of buddies and had a genuine appreciation for the effort in film work (amazing). There were also some story details I appreciated. Key among them was the R. Weisz character’s diverse hobbies. I could see how other writers could see the diversity as mainly a vehicle for montage, but I got the feeling the diversity was an attempt to feel appropriate in the world and driven by constantly failing to feel appropriate (which maybe says more about me ( back in the day I wrote a line, ‘Alone you don’t aspire to be anyone, you aspire to be everyone.’)). So that was something I enjoyed. Thank You.

There were some other things I did a slight cringe on that struck me as being made for a broader (or dumber) audience. Things that I knew were coming, but I had hope Bloom was the con, or that he’d utter ‘sincerity is the biggest con of all (not in a clever way, but in a horribly tortured way).’ And take some ownership of his brother’s drive and destruction. I kept thinking there could be some big payoffs in the come clean. Even when the magic trick reveals the Queen of Hearts (Sorry I cringed), until the card turned I had hoped he would say, ‘I know you want to see the queen of hearts, I know that’s your card, but this is the one that came up. And that’s how this trick works.’ Instead of turning the card. A come clean, rather than trying a thread.

I came to this Forum after talking with a friend about Brick and The Brothers Bloom and he had some plot questions. Bang-Bang’s demise for one. Myself it was a non-issue. I assumed she could ‘blow herself up’ just as easily as fake it, but I didn’t think she would fall victim to explosives. Her senses wouldn’t permit it. Another question that came up was R. Johnson Vs. W. Anderson, but that will be another thread (if/ when time permits).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks for the thoughts and welcome to the board, hiccup. Sounds like you're definitely a writer yourself. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:19 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Thanks so much. I’ve been giving up writing for a couple years now, but I had a spell. When I get an itch, I think of John Goodman running through a flaming hotel hallway, carrying a shotgun, shouting, ‘I’ll show you the life of the mind.’ :shock: [Seriously, I need the first two hours of each day to be productive and not an irritable hyper-critical jerkwad all day. I live too close to my family for that to happen.]

I am very glad you are making the films you do. If you ever need a reader that is a horrible gauge of general audience, I’d gladly comment a treatment, or script. But as I tell my friends, my best advice is, ‘I give lousy advice.’

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:40 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Welcome to the forum! I think there was a discussion about the Bang Bang question somewhere earlier. There were comments from both schools of thought: that she died or rigged it herself to escape. In the latter, it then splinters into the people who thought she did it as a way of escaping her life with the Blooms (blowing up the car a symbol of her being "done" with that chapter of her life), and those who thought she was in cahoots with the Dog and that the car bomb was supposed to have fooled Penelope and Bloom.

I definitely fall in the when-you're-done-with-some-aspect-of-your-life,-blow-it-up-symbolically-via-car-bomb school of thought. Who wants to live in a world where either Bang Bang died or was a bad guy?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hi Thanks.
I think the numerous question marks around Bang-Bang stem from how the non-speaking role allows for so much audience projection/speculation. Personally, I think just her presence with the Blooms shows a genuine trust beyond a trust-them-to-be-con-men trust. Which kind of leads back to the innocent criminal origins of The Brothers Bloom and the giving people what they want aspect of their con. Despite being con men they have a consistency (in place of honesty). But regardless, in the end, Bang-Bang is the one that sticks out as having not got what she wanted. And maybe it’s that disappointment that she walks away with. But maybe when she gets home there’s a letter with a permit to implode something like the pyramids of Egypt, or the Great Wall, or the Eiffel Tower, or at least a hotel in Vegas.
There are other things to whatever trust there was between her and the Blooms. It doesn't seem like anyone would be the third wheel with brothers in crime, you are always going to be the expendable fall.
I need to watch it again.
But then she also did seem to have an affinity for destruction. Maybe it was for all types of destruction. Or maybe she did get what she wanted-- it was to see a destruction she didn't enjoy.
I'm probably going to feel like an idiot after I see it again. I wasn't paying that close of attention on the first viewing.
But thanks for the reply. I pointed the amigo to the forum about other theories. So he might show up.