Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:12 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

sarahalyse recommended I post this on Rian's Forum...

I'm thinking of planning a Rian Johnson movie night, first Brothers Bloom and then Brick (I think BB would have a wider appeal, so show it first for those who can't stay for both). Any suggestions for making it fun and/or spurring convo? I'll watch the commentary tracks of both movies before the party.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:38 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Alcohol.

8)

That's very cool - whatever you end up doing, you better post all the gory details.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:29 pm 
The Pin's Mom

That's my big sister, folks. She's seen Brick on the big screen even though I haven't :P

Brick: Spot the noir trope/reference? This might be distracting for first time viewers, so perhaps it would be better to discuss it afterward. Other general topics for discussion could be how the different visual style and setting works with the noir themes, and what makes this a noir film (since it lacks the visual style).

Bloom: You should definitely make our Secret Family Waffle Recipe for the party. You can serve them desert style with fruit and cream or chocolate sauce. The new viewers will get a good giggle out of "Eat your waffles, fat man" as a result.
For discussion topics, you might want to bring up some of the themes people might not have noticed themselves: the Penelope/sun and Stephen/underground motifs (sorry, Rian), and the Icarus references. Or just talk about the ending: discuss what each person thinks happened and their take on the con itself. If you get any weird/creative theories, post them here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:48 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Decor ideas - Packs of cards, red kimono, plastic toys with gray clay (playdough) or make red 'TNT' dynamite sticks with construction paper and strapped to them.

Drinks -- The Marmalade Sour recipe noted on bloomblog page.

Have Fun!!

Don't get to discouraged if people wants to party instead of watch. Just patiently tell them, 'if you aren't going to watch the movie then you'll just have to gouge out your eyes and set them in front of the TV.' Life is about choices.

Went to one of these for the Big Lebowski, felt a little over cued by the host, but still fun. I always like to quote Courtney Taylor of The Dandy Warhols when someone tries something new and are unsure of the results.
"If it's good, it's fun. If it's bad, it's funny."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I dub my event "Halloween in January." No one will get it unless they stick around for the second movie.

Alas, I don't have a waffle iron. And I really miss our old TNT clock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:03 pm 
Ass. V.P.

We've seen a photo of you in a Halloween costume, mysterious Sarah's Sister. Oh yes we have.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:37 am 
The Pin's Mom

I can't believe there's finally going to be a Halloween In January party and not one forum regular will be there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 am 
Upper Crust

Can I send you a life-size cardboard cutout of myself in costume? Maybe you can just put me in the middle of the party.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:43 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

sarahalyse wrote:
I can't believe there's finally going to be a Halloween In January party and not one forum regular will be there.

Suits my sense of irony. :)
It does kill me, just a little, that if I was back home I'd have access to your TNT clock, a Barbie to strap to it, waffle irons, your arrow-shaped ice tray and that rooster pitcher. Also, that you'd be there so I wouldn't be the only one to understand the little decorating references I'm planning. And people won't be arriving at the door saying "I want to see the Pin."

As for my costume, I'm thinking something black and white with a bowler hat...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 am 
The Pin's Mom

Gosh, that is too move back to Seattle bad. If only there was some way move back to Seattle you could have those move back to Seattle things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:18 pm 
Annasthesiologist

Someday I'm going to a party thrown by you or one of your family members.
Oh, also, I'm going to Sundance, so maybe we'll wind up at a (less cool) party there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm 
The Pin's Mom

The Shays are the new Johnsons. You heard it here first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:12 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Fifty minutes and counting... I sure hope they remember to bring the coffee, because I bought pies...

Note: Local stores do not carry country-style apple juice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:18 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

LadyisaTramp wrote:
Fifty minutes and counting... I sure hope they remember to bring the coffee, because I bought pies...

Note: Local stores do not carry country-style apple juice.

Excited to hear how this turns out (and pictures if available).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Yeah, well, someone else should plan a Halloween in January party - someone with more movie-inclined friends. Also, there is an inherent problem with the whole premise, since January is part of Cold & Flu Season. Basically, it was a bust. The people most interested had to cancel due to various ailments (although one couple watched Brick at home in solidarity, via Netflix instant play), and the two people that showed didn't stay for the second movie, thus not getting the name of the event or the special food (apple juice, coffee and pie oh my). I dressed like Penelope but didn't really feel like taking pictures at that point.

Also, anyone who says that Village Inn has good pies (much less "great" ones as I was told) is a LYING LIAR.
...On the upside, I'm guessing a pie-house with a paper sign in the window probably would have served similar quality pie.