Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:07 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I was fortunate enough to see The Brothers Bloom before its scheduled theatrical release date at the Newport Beach Film Festival. The film blew me away in ways I could have never expected, I immediately went home checked out Rian's IMDB read his bio to find out he was from San Clemente which is where I still live, and hurried to my local blockbuster to rent Brick and my mind was blown yet again, but that's not what this post is about. I came across this film by recognizing it in the NBFF catalog and remembered hearing about it a bit before then in a rave review on Aint it Cool News. After seeing the film I was shocked I had not heard more about it due to its release date being only a couple of months away but dismissed the thought with the belief this would soon change. It did... barely. The only advertising I saw for this film was in a 30 second TV Spot which I saw air roughly four times. When the film was released widely in theaters I knew I had to share it with my friends. I could only convince two of my friends to see it with me because none of them had heard about it. It killed me that I was not able to share with these people the originality and genius of Rian Johnson especially knowing that when summer hit all of them would without a doubt be in line for the seizure inducing Transformers 2. Rian Johnson's work has influenced me in a way no other filmmaker could. At 17, I have dreams of stepping behind the camera and attending USC School of Cinematic Arts. Although I had this dream before my viewing of The Brothers Bloom my love of modern cinema was dwindling at the site of Indy 4 and the success of too many remakes and movies with what I believe the sole purpose of keeping epileptics out of theaters. The work of Rian Johnson in Brick and the Brothers Bloom showed me that hollywood is not only for remakes, stories which rely on half second editing, and the new fad of distributing everything in 3D, but that the originality and heart warming stories which I find in the films that made me fall in love with cinema still exist. I found new motivation in knowing that I would not need to conform to what I find to be a tragic phase in cinema due to Rian's success. That said, the fact that I could not share this genius with my friends or see it gain nationwide praise from audiences because they hadn't heard about it truly breaks my heart. Whoever is responsible for the injustice in this film's advertising campaign I say to you, screw you!

Rian Johnson if you ever want to grab a bite at Bagel Shack or Beachfire or the crepe place by the pier, you are my hero and it would literally make my life.

Sincerely,
Matt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:30 am 
Upper Crust

RE: Thread Title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Fearless Flyer

matthewmacdonald wrote:
USC School of Cinematic Arts.

Since you're 17 and I once got a speech that stopped me from going to Stanford for medicine and find a good school for creative writing that was fairly affective.

My crew for my feature was mostly USC based (and most of my friends are as well) and their skills are phenomenal. That being said the calling card it used to be is not as strong for graduating students. Most of the kids from the same class from NYU have all made commercials for Fortune 500 companies or are on their first or second feature with strong representation.

USC - even though it charges an arm and a leg for your education and pays its teachers nothing - makes students pretty much pay for all of their homework assignments.... the only benefit you'll find is insurance when you rent from Wooden Nickel. The facilities are a bit old and whatever equipment you can find isn't usually in great shape.

NYU's faculty and alumni association has been pushing 10x harder on getting their students work and meeting after college. I wish they did that for USC kids but even their top students who graduated 2 years ago are all on unemployment without any representation.

http://www.slashfilm.com/exclusive-trai ... omecoming/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:03 pm 
Upper Crust

I'd like to add that The Bagel Shack is delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:36 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

yes the bagel shack is delicious and I am applying to both USC and NYU and I'm hoping for the best

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:40 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

@CubanB31

that was the one thing I planned on mentioning that I forgot about as I was writing. Why spend all that money on advertising a P.O.S. movie like that which youbalready know screaming girls will definitely go to instead of a smaller movie that people don't know about and therefore won't plop down their money for it. And man I hate those movies. I've actually had to hold back my vomit and watch them because well high school girls.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:55 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks Matthew - really appreciate the kind words. Filmmakers complaining about how their film was released is a broken record I won't drop the needle on, but I think the important thing is that we got it made the way we wanted, and the movie is out there and will find its audience eventually. The folks who are meant to see it will see it at some point.

Good luck applying to film schools, hope you stick around the board and keep us posted. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:58 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Distribution is a thing I find very strange. I remember reading about a shortage of prints of The Hurt Locker that limited how many places the film could go. It really saddens me when people like M. Bay complain that his film Transformers 2 was not promoted and put in enough theaters.
To go on another subject: does anyone on the forum know anybody that has gone to Chapman's film program? Is it a decent program that has a solid staff? Im trying to chose what "film school" that I want to attend, even though Im 14 and my mind could change at any moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:03 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I feel like I need to help a brother out, so if you ever need someone to direct your films while you take a break ..well I'm here for you bud.

I am also available for standing around, holding things, riding on the camera crane, and telling the lead actors how good they look.