Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:53 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Okay, so I LOVE the Bros. Bloom, and I just finished watching it for the third time, but I'm still a little unclear about how much Stephen knew or planned about the way the Russia con went down. I'm talking about the final cut of the movie, where Diamond Dog has NOT been double-crossed by other Russians, and is clearly in charge of kidnapping Stephen. I can see three possibilities:

1. Stephen hires Diamond Dog to play the Russians, and plans to go through with the con as he described to Bloom. When Diamond Dog double-crosses him, Stephen is surprised, but he rolls with it. I like this one because of the implication that Stephen proudly realizes at the end that he "told a story so well that it became real".

2. Stephen hires Diamond Dog fully expecting Diamond Dog to double-cross him. Thus, Diamond Dog is acting on his own behalf, but is still part of Stephen's plan. I like this one because Stephen is the mastermind that lets Diamond Dog "get everything he wants".

3. Stephen specifically hires Diamond Dog to do exactly what he does: have his goons attack their car, kidnap Stephen, almost kill him in front of his brother, etc. I don't particularly like this one- it's sort of going out on a limb- but it's the only one that explains why Diamond Dog requests exactly $1.75 million in the ransom note he sends to Bloom. Why would he know to ask for exactly that amount if Stephen hadn't told him to?

Am I missing anything obvious that would clarify this? Maybe it's not supposed to be clear? That would be fine symbolically, and I'd still love the movie, but I'd be surprised. The rest of the movie, like Brick, was so intricately, meticulously plotted.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:51 am 
The Pin's Mom

I do think Rian wanted it to be a little vague, because we're seeing it from Bloom's perspective, and Bloom never knows exactly what's going on. I've always been a proponent of Option #2, myself. And I can answer your question you raised in Option #3: the Dog knew to ask for 1.75M because once he had Stephen in his clutches, he asked Stephen how much Penelope was worth. How do you think Stephen got so roughed up? BAM, loophole closed.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:27 am 
Upper Crust

I always reckon it's #1. He told a story so well it fulfilled itself. The perfect con.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
Drama Vamp

I'm for option #2: Not only does Diamond dog get everything he wants that way, but in a sense Bloom also gets everything he wants, which is to get out of the conning cycle (unwritten life) and a girl who loves him for what he is, not just his con-persona.

As for Stephen, I think it becomes pretty clear that he loves his brother so much that all he wants is for Bloom to be able to be happy. And Stephen probably has realized that it's never going to happen if he's around bringing Bloom into new cons. So the only way for Bloom to be able to be happy is if Stephen is not around anymore and thus Bloom is set free. So even though Bloom surely grieves for his brother, he's still free to live a happy life otherwise. So in the end, Stephen also gets what he wanted even if it ended up costing him his life.

And Penelope got her life back and can now enjoy the World with Bloom instead of being a prisoner of her fancy home.

So thus one can say that everyone got what they wanted (one way or another). "The perfect con is one where everyone involved gets just what they wanted."

Also, Stephen tells Bloom "the day I con you is the day I die", which is exactly what happened, suggesting that his demise was already in the plan at an early stage. So I would go as far as saying: Stephen's intention was never at any point to get any money from Penelope. Stephen's only goal was to give Bloom the unwritten life he wanted with Penelope. I support this also with the fact that Stephen had promised they'd never con a woman. If he held his word (which I think he did), that means Penelope never was the mark, Bloom was. (Again: "The day I con you is the day I die").

And I don't think this option rules out the "told a story so well that it became real" either. There is nothing fake in Bloom's and Penelope's relationship or in the fact that Stephen had to die and that Stephen's, Bloom's and Penelope's lives were forever changed for real.

So to recap: Everyone got what they wanted + Stephen told the story so well it became real = The perfect con x2.

It has been awhile since the last time I watched it, so I might have forgotten some details but that's the way it struck me.