Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: film festival
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

What are some good ideas for a film festival film? I'm in my high school's TV Production magnet and we're having a film festival next week... I haven't started working on my film yet... I still need an idea... I told my teacher I was going to try and make two videos... one a drama and another a music video... I can't use copyrighted music... does anyone have any good ideas??

Last edited by tabicasa on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: film festival
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:10 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Is this a film festival for just your own school, or is it open to other schools/entrants?

As far as it goes for "what's a good idea", you probably already have a few yourself, otherwise you wouldn't be in a production class, let alone have told the teacher you'd make two videos.

For the drama, think of something that scares you, and tell a story about a character dealing with that. It's usually a good way to get a ball rolling on writing an idea because you know exactly how the character will react and think - you're basically transcribing your own thoughts. I've also enjoyed writing stories where people do bad things even though they think what they're doing is for the best. No-one ever really thinks they're a bad person, and I find that presenting a bad character to an audience intending for them to sympathize leads to interesting discussion.

As for the music video, there is a band, right now, in your town that wants attention. Probably eight, in fact. Look up the site of a few bands you like and discuss ideas for a cheap and quick music video. It needn't be complex or expensive to be clever or imaginative.

Best of luck!

Post subject: Re: film festival
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 pm 
The Pin's Mom

That's some really great advice, Donnacha. Especially about the music video: there are probably lots of great bands in your area, and I bet at least one of them would love to have a music video for one of their songs. And if you have the band perform in the video, bam: free actors!

I'm moving this to Ephemera, Etc, since it's not related to Bloom at all :)