Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 pm 
Upper Crust

Stop using auto-ISO and manually set it to 100 (or 80 if you have a tripod or a friend with unusually steady hands). That will get rid of the graininess. It should be smart enough to allow for a longer exposure and wide-open aperture, but if not and it lets you go fully manual, a 2.8 f-stop and a 1/4-second exposure should make it quite nice for that level of light. For reference's sake, I've had uncommonly good luck at concerts shooting at 100 ISO / 2.8 f / 1/15 sec exposure.

And Sarah, if you get a mysterious 949 area code calling you, that's probably me. If anyone needs my number, I'm a little leery of putting it on the interwebs, so send me a PM.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:50 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
I'm fairly comfortable saying that any of you in LA can call me any time this week at 867-5309 if you want to hang out. Max, you can

I can what?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:54 pm 
Fearless Flyer

My digits: 310-595-4084. We should grab some grub afterwards, y'all.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 pm 
Shamus

Wow, thanks Justin, that was a surprisingly lengthy (and altogether helpful) reply. You do realize those points I promised can't be redeemed for anything except my own gratitude?

Alright: I'm off to New York in a few minutes, going to probably end up at Gimme Coffee and then go straight to the theater afterward if anyone is in or around the area. But it looks...like.. not...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 pm 
Upper Crust

DrHandsome wrote:
Wow, thanks Justin, that was a surprisingly lengthy (and altogether helpful) reply. You do realize those points I promised can't be redeemed for anything except my own gratitude?

Alright: I'm off to New York in a few minutes, going to probably end up at Gimme Coffee and then go straight to the theater afterward if anyone is in or around the area. But it looks...like.. not...

No problem. It's really mysterious until someone points out the important bits to you, then it's a simple matter of experimentation until you see what works.

And a few will be there in NYC...of course you're already gone by now so that won't really help.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:54 pm 
Fearless Flyer

maxfrost wrote:
sarahalyse wrote:
I'm fairly comfortable saying that any of you in LA can call me any time this week at 206-290-4787 if you want to hang out. Max, you can

I can what?

Dude, she just wrote you a blank check. Run with it.

I should be there at the 745 with a few friends. Dinner or something sounds like a good idea. Are we thinking after or before? I'd vote for after but either could work.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:53 pm 
Upper Crust

kgsullivan wrote:
I'd vote for after

And Sarah's idea of drinks before sounds good (anyone familiar with The Well on Argyle?).

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:28 pm 
The Pin's Mom

maxfrost wrote:
sarahalyse wrote:
I'm fairly comfortable saying that any of you in LA can call me any time this week at 206-290-4787 if you want to hang out. Max, you can

I can what?

Well, it DID say "read invisible text," but apparently I was wrong.
Either that or I spaced out and forgot to finish writing something like, "Max can call me too, but no drunk dialing." The heat must be getting to me.

I'd vote for dinner before and drinks after; a 7:45 showing is a bit late for dinner after, ne?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:39 pm 
Upper Crust

So... I had to bail during the Q&A to catch my train. Sorry I didn't stick around... But I saw no familiar faces other than Rian, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:33 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Whoo Hoo First post!

I was wondering, have I missed the LA screenings for this movie? I live in LA and was lucky enough to be able to see BB at AFI Film Fest. Long story short, I loved it.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:35 pm 
Shamus

Seems like several of us Bricksters made it out to the Angelika but none of us actually met up. Personally, I blame it on the New Jersey Transit Authority.

I did however finally get to meet you in person Rian and despite the fact that I was both mildly starstruck and rushing to get an early bus out of the city I was thrilled to get to say hi and compliment you on what I thought was, in all honesty, a great great movie!

Not only did I get to meet you but I also got to take your photograph with a nice young asian girl and subsequently watch you sign her pink Sanrio notebook. Could the night get any better?

Trevor: welcome to the forums! All the LA screenings (the ones with Q&As afterwards) are tommorow night. If I'm not mistaken they are at 4:45 and 7:45.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Alright!
That is great news Shamus, Thank You.
I will be there. Do I need a pass or anything?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:22 am 
Fearless Flyer

No pass. But you need a ticket for the 7:45pm showing... buy online at www.arclightcinemas.com

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:41 am 
Upper Crust

The Cat & The Fiddle has food AND drinks. A block away from Amoeba.

Last edited by allfivesenses on Sat May 16, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:37 am 
Ass. V.P.

DrHandsome wrote:
I am not entirely handsome and apart from countless games of Dr. Mario I have no real medical experience.

Having met Dr. Handsome at the Angelika last night, I can assure you all he is being modest.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next