Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: London Q&A!
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:33 am 
Ass. V.P.

Hey everyone,
I'm doing two q&a screenings this coming week in London, for our Brothers Bloom UK opening.

The first is on Thursday June 3rd at the Clapham Picturehouse theater:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Clapham_Picturehouse/News/Item/The_Brothers_Bloom_Plus_Q_A/

And the second is Friday June 4th at the Curzon Soho cinema. Here's all the info:

http://www.curzoncinemas.com/venues/soho#/whats_on/the_brothers_bloom_qanda_rian_johnson

Hope to see a few of you there...

Post subject: Re: London Q&A!
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:04 am 
Upper Crust

I assume you can't make it to Warwick, then? Ah well, I'll try and corral a few friends into coming down to London on Friday.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:58 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I booked my tickets for the Thursday yesterday, and I'm ridiculously excited.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:14 pm 
Upper Crust

I've got tickets for Friday. Excited. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
I've got tickets for Friday. Excited. :)

How did you get tickets? Maybe I'm just being dumb I can't see a link on the site, did you phone up?
Hopefully they're not sold out yet, I only found out yesterday I'll be able to get to London.

EDIT: Never fear I found it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 am 
Upper Crust

Nice!

Rian, not sure if you'll be checking this forum, but is there any possibility you'll be able to sign one of my copies of Brick if I bring it along?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Day Glo wrote:
Nice!

Rian, not sure if you'll be checking this forum, but is there any possibility you'll be able to sign one of my copies of Brick if I bring it along?

I was wondering the same thing :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:48 am 
Upper Crust

Ticket brought, tubes, trains and buses arranged.
I'll be seeing you crazy kid's Friday :D So happy about this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:24 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Sign?!?! Dudes, of course! You better come up and introduce yourselves after the screening or I'll have to kick some major butt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

That's awesome, Rian. I just wanted to say that it's people like you and JGL and the others you work with who are literally opening the film business up for countless people to participate with how open and encouraging you are. I've met so many people who are assholes and wouldn't even talk to people, but you guys go a step further than signatures and saying thanks, you want to start up a dialogue. Kuddos, my man.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
Sign?!?! Dudes, of course! You better come up and introduce yourselves after the screening or I'll have to kick some major butt.

Seriously, do so--introduce yourselves, that is. Rian's very friendly in public and completely housebroken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:37 am 
Upper Crust

Oh, good. That relieves me of the worry of Rian relieving himself on my shoes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Of course, theater-broken is another matter...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:32 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Been meaning to sign up here for ages, now seems a good a time as any :)

I've got my ticket for tomorrow night, now I've just got to get through a long day work.

Looking forward to saying hi to everyone tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I just got home from the screening, and I just wanted to express my gratitude - I had an amazing time. It was so ultra cool of you to come out into the bar afterwards and talk to us - I was the big guy in the blazer who 'kinda' had written a script (I just got done with the second draft and saw a lot of problems with it in retrospect, hence my slight embarrassment to talk about it!) and who wrote my entrance essay for Manchester university on Brick (I applied for English Literature and Drama, and the essay had to be on a work of drama that had profoundly influenced our decision to take Drama at university). I wrote about Brick, and when I talked to other people at the interview, it became clear I was the only one who'd written about a film, as there was a sort of disdainful silence whenever I chatted to other people. This same disdainful silence carried over into my interview, and I was offered a Drama and Screen Studies place instead, which I've accepted). Listening to you in the Q+A and talking to you outside really hammered in how insane and difficult the road to making a film is, but it's also given me renewed inspiration, and made me even more determined to make my script better and get it out into the world.

The film itself was fantastic, but I'd expect no less from you. I must confess to having already seen it... Around January it got to the point where I genuinely thought that the Brothers Bloom would not acquire a UK release, and so I... sourced it. Now that it's been released, I feel so guilty for seeing it the first time without paying and disappointed that I didn't see it for the first time in optimal conditions, but I brought two friends along who hadn't seen it before and loved it, so I hope that makes up for it (I also performed Diamond Dog's monologue for a drama exam, which was a plus of having been such a scoundrel)... But yes, a film just as unique as Brick that cements you as my favourite director, and completely validates having listed you as my hero in my school yearbook (along with Rivers Cuomo, but that's another gushing letter for another day).

Anyway, I'm now extremely embarrassed for being so sycophantic, but I just wanted to express how grateful I am for such a great opportunity as tonight. I'm super disappointed that I'll have moved way out of the London area if and when you do a similar event for Looper (the question I was going to ask in the Q+A was if you could cough if you could confirm that Bruce Willis would be starring in a film that rhymes with Fooper, but the goddamn MC never picked me).

Thanks for a great time at the cinema,

Tom Blagden

P.S. I worked it out during the Q+A but I didn't want to take up any more of your time in the bar - the aforementioned very nice man from Empire looks exactly like Kenneth Branagh!

Last edited by Blaggers on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.