Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Film-noir
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:37 pm 
Lapdog

Okay, I know not that many people are registered to the boards yet, but soon they will be!! I'm spreading the word on everything about this damn movie.

Just wondering if people here (besides Rian) are big noir fans? Noir is my favorite themes in film and reading. I just recently bought "Hammetts Crime Stories & Other Writings", hope it's good. Just finished reading Ethan Coens Gates of Eden...some great stories and some awful ones, but mostly good.

My favorite Noirs would be...

The Maltese Falcon (ofcourse right?)
Double Indemnity
Chinatown
Laura
Blood Simple
Touch of Evil

So....what are some of your guys favorite noirs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:03 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Why hello. First post here. Yay for me.

I'm a pretty big noir fan, though I'm not nearly as versed in it as I should/hope to be. I guess my favorite film noirs would be "Laura," "Chinatown," "Mulholland Drive," "Notorious," "Blue Velvet," and "Sunset Boulevard" (if that one even counts... I guess it's debatable). Plus, "Veronica Mars" and "Twin Peaks" are two of my favorite TV shows, if not my favorites. And I guess that's why I'm so drawn to this film. Though I haven't seen it yet... except for that awesome trailer.

Hmmm... I guess that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:18 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Big noir fan. Some of my favorites are Laura, Double Indemnity, Scarlet Street, This Gun for Hire, and Gun Crazy, a little film that needs more recognition.

Does anybody else have those Fox Film Noir DVD collections? They're pretty great sets if you enjoy noir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:52 am 
Ass. V.P.

Gotta toss in Altman's "The Long Goodbye." Just re-watched it recently, it's pretty damn spectacular. Very funky, very 70s, but at the same time captures something vital and honest about the genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:46 am 
That reminds me: there's this little movie called Brick that's coming out in theaters sometime at the end of March. I caught an advanced screening of it and it was excellent- a couple noir influences if I'm not mistaken. Has anybody around here heard of it?

Also: The Man Who Wasn't There, even with all it's oddities, could still be considered noir, couldn't it? Or maybe "neo-noir"? Whatever it is, it's a Coen Bros. crime picture, beautifully shot and worth at least a rent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

And now we can make fun of NotWritten for NotSigningInBeforePosting.

And now we can make fun of NotWritten for double posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:32 pm 
Upper Crust

The Third Man
Touch of Evil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:39 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

The Third Man
Chinatown
North by Northwest
The Usual Suspects
The Maltese Falcon
Blade Runner (sci-fi meets noir... what's not to love?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:33 am 
Wait. Must totally agree with "Gun Crazy." I saw it in a film class and loved it, but can't find it anywhere on DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:40 am 
Lapdog

There is a cool film-noir boxset, which has Gun Crazy and other films, the films are...

"Film Noir classic collection"

The Asphalt Jungle
Gun Crazy
Murder, My Sweet
Out of the Past
The Set-up

Great movies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:12 am 
Hash Head

Anonymous wrote:
Wait. Must totally agree with "Gun Crazy." I saw it in a film class and loved it, but can't find it anywhere on DVD.

In addition to the box set mentioned above, you can find it on Netflix (bless their souls! :wink:) - presuming I'm thinking of the same movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:58 pm 
Drama Vamp

Anyone here see "Shadows and Fog"? It isn't film noir. More of an homage/parody of 1920s German impressionist films, directed by Woody Allen. I bring it up because it is surprisingly obscure (surprising more because of the director than because of its relative quality). "Kafka" is another weird movie that left an impression on me more because of its mood than any remembered characteristics of plot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:38 pm 
The Big Combo was just pure noir. It's not one of the really famous ones, but I really enjoyed that film. Not to mention the incredible cinematography!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:22 am 
Ass. V.P.

Just added 'The Big Combo' and 'Gun Crazy' to the old Netflix queue. And Kafka - I haven't seen that since it came out, I wonder how it'll hold up.

Has anyone seen 'Dark Passage'? Really REALLY weird noir with Bogart and Bacall, where the first half hour is shot all from Bogart's POV, Lady in the Lake style. The studio gave them hell for it because they paid all this money for Bogart and you don't see him for a third of the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:33 am 
Lapdog

^^Heard of it but never seen it, definetly gonna have to check it out now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next