Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

JulesKD wrote:
^^^ I'm calling troll - and yeah, alt-right. I knew that the fake fanboys would hate this movie. 8) Honestly, it's part of why I like it.

I also wanted to mention that the grocery store I go to makes this wasabi stuff with horse radish mixed in, and it's literally the only thing that cleared up my sinus infection two years ago. Seriously, my sinuses were so bad I went to the doctor thinking I had a tumor. She laughed at me and sent me home with decongestants which didn't work, but the wasabi + horse radish? Instant relief!

I am neither troll nor alt-right, and please explain exactly what a 'fake fanboy' is. Beyond that, please keep your replies on-topic and without personal attacks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 am 
Fearless Flyer

No. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am 
Upper Crust

Anyone have a good sandwich lately? I was going to go to the horseradish place today but we're getting lunch delivered instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 pm 
Fearless Flyer

My son, who was recently diagnosed with mild aspergers and SUPER sensory issues and hardly eats ANYTHING (like seriously his list of acceptable foods is about ten items, mostly cheese?) tonight at dinner made himself a hummus and roasted seaweed sandwich. He said it was the yummiest thing he ever ate. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:49 pm 
Upper Crust

This. THIS is the rich content I we all need.

(Lunch today was chicken and waffles. We have to take a trip near the horseradish store again later this week, so if my sinuses make it I'll tell you about it.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

shane1594, my previous response to you was inexcusably boorish. please pardon me.
Neil Leach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Anyone have a good sandwich lately? I was going to go to the horseradish place today but we're getting lunch delivered instead.

I had a really nice Salmon and Cream Cheese Bagel for lunch today from a bakery a short walk from work. I have a feeling I'll be going back there a lot over the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
shane1594, my previous response to you was inexcusably boorish. please pardon me.
Neil Leach

Yeah, I was mean at first too. I've pivoted the discussion to sandwich reviews as a really weird way to try and make amends.

As for bagels, I'm a little weird on bread (read as: TOTALLY FUCKING OBSESSED with good bread) and find toppings secondary to the excellence/non- of the bread itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Well I'm a woman, so I'm not sorry. 8)

But anyway, if you put fresh spinach, tomatoes, and mozzarella on focaccia, then bake it with some balsamic vinaigrette, you just might die with how good it is.

This past holiday season I was sitting by my tree and it occurred to me that "balsamic" = "balsam?" IDK? I meant to google that and I just got reminded.

ETA: Google says they are not related, but that "balsam" just means "curative." Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 pm 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Well I'm a woman, so I'm not sorry. 8)

Utterly totally fair and correct, not that my feelings on how anyone wants to take anything matter one teeny bit.

As for me, I'm just attempting to be a more gracious, uh, host (I guess) in an attempt to foster a productive discussion. As I said in the other thread, I really like at least considering unattractive ideas to get where the holder of them is coming from, and at the outset of the thread here I was in kind of a crappy mood and the review set me off a bit. Sometimes (particularly on the internet, but--thankfully--not specifically here) it's like drinking raw sewage to see how sick it makes you. As with my friend's Star Trek story, it's more like having a glass of milk that you aren't sure is past its expiration date.

To pull this whole topic even further off sandwiches, yesterday I had a long chat with a friend about cryptocurrency (specifically that a cryptocurrency conference is no longer accepting crypto payments due to high transaction costs, which to me is totally hilarious) that veered into "what do you think the purpose of money/the economy is?" And thankfully, he's the type of person that can argue with someone frustrating (me) without getting personally irritated, so it was a cool productive chat. At the end, I was going to mention a mutual friend of ours that starts taking disagreements personally after a while (he's another guy with deeply-held beliefs, so much so that if you don't agree with him after a while he starts getting kind of insulted) but thought it was mean/uncalled for. As I was deleting "thanks for not being kind of a butt like _____," he brought up the same friend. Then we laughed and realized we should argue in person more, and he revealed that as of this week, he works two blocks from me, so I'm calling the whole thing a win.

This isn't terribly relevant to the matter at hand, so I should mention I had a late lunch/dinner of a pretty okay burger. Not their fault. I ordered incorrectly I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm 
Upper Crust

Also, good bread is really hard to find in CA--though SF has just about good enough water to manage it (though never ever on NYC's level), I only know of one bakery that gets even close. But produce we got. I met someone that had just moved from Chicago a few years back, and about an hour into our conversation she angrily asked me "Why does everything taste so fucking good here? I thought avocados tasted like green mush, but here they're DELICIOUS."

On the flip side, back when I lived in St. Louis, I'd always complain how everything was really bland. Turns out that when most of the green(ish) things you buy are picked under-ripe and stuck on a truck for a week, then dyed to look tasty, it's not great. It wasn't until I moved back to CA that, like, milk started being good again.

So I'm gonna try and find good focaccia and test this out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:41 am 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
I've pivoted the discussion to sandwich reviews as a really weird way to try and make amends.

Well there was already a thread for reviewing this film, what kind of person has the arrogance to start a new thread devoted to their singular opinion as a newbie? Reviewing bread-based foods is a much better use of the webspace so I applaud your decision.

The bagel place also does salt-beef bagels, which seem to be there most popular item but I'm not sure I can justify spending over £4 on one small bagel. I'm trying to way up if it's so popular because it's worth it or if it's just another Shoreditch fad.
The trip adviser reviews on the place are tempting me.

What are your takes on salt-beef begels?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:34 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Kzap wrote:
Justin wrote:
I've pivoted the discussion to sandwich reviews as a really weird way to try and make amends.

Well there was already a thread for reviewing this film, what kind of person has the arrogance to start a new thread devoted to their singular opinion as a newbie? Reviewing bread-based foods is a much better use of the webspace so I applaud your decision.

The bagel place also does salt-beef bagels, which seem to be there most popular item but I'm not sure I can justify spending over £4 on one small bagel. I'm trying to way up if it's so popular because it's worth it or if it's just another Shoreditch fad.
The trip adviser reviews on the place are tempting me.

What are your takes on salt-beef begels?

I found that thread to be full of people in an echo chamber celebrating The Last Jedi. As I hold differing opinions in certain areas, and similar ones in others, and given the likelihood of my post getting lost in the midst of them, I decided to create a new thread for it. Also, can you please tell me what you mean by 'newbie'.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 am 
Upper Crust

shane1594 wrote:
I found that thread to be full of people in an echo chamber celebrating The Last Jedi. As I hold differing opinions in certain areas, and similar ones in others, and given the likelihood of my post getting lost in the midst of them, I decided to create a new thread for it. Also, can you please tell me what you mean by 'newbie'.

I mean you're new here (your account was created a few days ago and only has a few posts).

I keep thinking I should give you the benefit of the doubt but then I remember the facts:
- You found a discussions board dedicated to a certain director.
- You saw a discussion thread dedicated to his latest film.
- You thought your opinion was far too important to get "lost" in that thread so created a new one just so people can discuss your thoughts.
- You mostly criticize the film, without bringing many new points to the table that haven't been discussed in other threads.
- You have very strange views on women's hair styles and how they correlate to personality traits.

You're either a troll or have poor social skills and have trouble reading the room and finding the correct place to share your opinion. By all means a variety of opinions are welcome here but if you want to focus on your negative feelings towards something perhaps a fan-page dedicated to the creator of that thing isn't the right place to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Eugenics is always a great hot button issue.
I'm laughing at the above because I found it amusing. Or to quote The Small Faces "A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse"
(circa 1971 you will appreciate, or possibly not).
It's 4:06 EST, do you know where your iguana is?

shane1594, you may find a more productive environment at letterboxed.com
best wishes

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next