Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:45 pm 
Hash Head

Some ideas for the New Triology, from a 5-year-old perspective!!!!

In a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. And where the rages have wared, and evil and galactic republic have been struggling. The battles of Endor and Tatooine the Storm Troopers are looking for some datas. And Tusken Raiders keep it so they can hide the data from R2D2 into the sand. And so, the Storm Troopers will never find it. The Tusken Raiders get lonely when they dont have any tusken raider alone. And what happens usually every day for them, they have to fight for the enemies. Like usual everybody is their enemy except the people are not either. And then what happens in Endor what really happens in Tatooine - Ewoks are looking for any sign of log smashing.

So... in the forest of Endor, the Ewoks are logging things down to make things to crush At-Sts heads off. What makes their bodies fall off and their legs. And what happens for Ewoks is they get scout troopers and storm troopers are not afraid of Ewoks, but they should excape from the evil. The evil is on their mission to detroy Luke's ship, the X-wing. But, Luke destroys the death star, then it's impossible for death star to destroy Luke's X-wing without his self.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:57 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I think the kid is onto something. Rian, recruit this kid on your writing staff (if you have one..) and make this happen!

I'm excited for the new trilogy, I think it will change what we all think of star wars completely. You're probably toiling away at that script right now Rian, keep going!
I can't wait to see the universe you create! 8)

I think the new trilogy should do away with the Jedi/Sith completely, and we should see something much more fundamental and mysterious than that.
I mean, SW is a blank slate now, so anything can be done, no limits!

For instance, what if we had a story that followed a ship of crewman (and women) who were exploring the nether regions of the galaxy, contacting civilizations one by one throughout.
Then our main character, (ship's captain) could lead the story as he, she, or they account for every event in the story. We can watch the crew go through those adventures, growing and learning as time goes by and the story progresses. Maybe they're trying to reach an end goal, maybe not. The sky's the limit!

What do ya think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 pm 
Upper Crust

That kinda sounds like Star Trek to me.

Anyway, it just pinged to me today that the much-misunderstood and maligned Canto Bight side-story absolutely feeds into non-Jedi/Senate/Imperials/Sith/etc. stories and thus gives a backbone in the main saga to connect the two. Rogue One does a bit of work here as well, come to think of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:49 am 
Hash Head

Still super excited to see what sort of amazing stories Rian can come up with for the new Trilogy.
Hope it's really new and different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 pm 
Upper Crust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:31 pm 
Hash Head

A couple of thoughts relating to the development of the new trilogy:

I wonder how much the development of the new trilogy will be affected by the media's response to The Last Jedi. I know that Rian seems to be a media-oriented person, and seems to be aware of the mainstream response to The Last Jedi, which has had a lot of negativity generally. Personally, I thought it was generally a very good movie. If I had to make a criticism of it, I would say that yes, it seemed like the story was driven primarily by the desire to surprise and thrill the audience as opposed to doing what has made Star Wars so appealing in the George Lucas era - which is to create a character-based mythology wherein the mythology came first, the characters second, and the story third. In the case of The Last Jedi, I believe the thrills and surprises came first, the plot came second, the characters came third, and the mythology was sort of a haphazard byproduct of the plot. But I don't understand why online people seemed to like The Force Awakens so much relative to the Last Jedi. Solo and Rogue One were also very good action movies based primarily on plot and character, but to-date, I think the thing that is lacking in the post-George Lucas era is that focus on the mythology as the primary driving force in the development of the stories and themes.

I think that what could set apart the new triology from other action movies or fantasy movies is how it serves a cohesive mythology over a 3-movie series, and how the mythology is the core of the series, with the plot and characters serving the mythology, rather than vice-versa.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pm 
Hash Head

Further questioning:

What is unique about the mythology presented in the original trilogy and prequels?
What is "Starwarsy"?

...And how does one recreate a similar style of mythology-based starwarsiness in a new movie, or series of movies?

I think that successful answers to those questions are key to the success of the future of Star Wars.
Success being measured by long-term fan appreciation.
It seems like there's always going to be a lot of fans criticizing any Star Wars movie in the short term.
However, it may take time to answer questions like that, and to implement answers into a script.
In a high-pressure business like Star Wars, it may be hard to get the necessary time.

I hope that the development of the new trilogy is going well... good luck to Rian!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 pm 
Upper Crust

1. How dare you ignore my contribution with the photo of a star Wars dub album.

2. New trilogy will 100% be Star Wars Cowboy Bebop. Mark my words.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 am 
Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
New trilogy will 100% be Star Wars Cowboy Bebop. Mark my words.

This is true.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:06 am 
Upper Crust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:47 pm 
Hash Head

circuitsnake wrote:
1. How dare you ignore my contribution with the photo of a star Wars dub album.

Well, your contribution was an interesting picture, and I didn't ignore it. I looked at it quite a lot, but I wasn't sure what to say about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 am 
Upper Crust

Well perhaps I was implying that Star Wars could use a musical once-over. Or perhaps I was suggesting an album for the new trilogy.

As per the uniqueness of Star Wars. I think the force is the most Star Warsy thing. It's magic in space. It's in every episode. It's the core of the franchise. It's what binds us.